Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what's going on with the cops in Menlo/Coolough?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

There's cops all over the shop at Coolough near Menlo? CSI van and all. Any sceal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

I'm intrigued, will pedal down and scout it out for you......

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

jkforde wrote: »
    I'm intrigued, will pedal down and scout it out for you......
    I just drove past the old piggery and that's were all the action is. Its just past the entrance to the quarry on way to Menlo

ya, one of the thatched houses there seems to be sealed off with a guard car outside with the lights on..

Is it the first one on the right as you turn down that little lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Hope its nothing serious

• Advertisement

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Is it the first one on the right as you turn down that little lane?

Yes, I think so, the house closest to the quarry. Ditto, hope nothing too serious.

Oh dear. Fingers crossed its nothing too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

i used to live round there years ago, well it must be some thing serious if crime scene is there,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

oh no :(

Oh no what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

galwayrush wrote: »
    Oh no what?

frown.gif

• Advertisement

did you hear anything else galwaybabe? no activity down there today as far as i could see... could it have been something to do with the drugs busts around the mainland yesterday?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

did you hear anything else galwaybabe? no activity down there today as far as i could see... could it have been something to do with the drugs busts around the mainland yesterday?? :eek:

Where is this mainland you mention? :confused:

Haven't heard anything yet, I've been out of all day

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm intrigued too. Kinda thought I was on the mainland already.

on the continent.... anyways, am still curious what was happening down there that evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

The link road between the Headford road roundabout and the Tuam road roundabout was closed off yesterday evening by the Guards at around 20:00. Later around 20:45 it was reopened, there was a burned out car half way up it. The Guards had closed off the lane the car was in.

Wonder are the two connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Zzippy wrote: »

Mainland Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

its okay, I think jkforde is posting from the Aran Islands or one of the other offshore Islands of Ireland. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

http://www.galwaynews.ie/13112-file-dpp-following-assault-man-coolough
    A file is being prepared for the DPP following a serious assault on a man in Coolough earlier this week.

A 32 year old man was hospitalised following the incident which occured at Coolough near Menlo.

A paserby found the man lying injured in a laneway near the quarry at around lunchtime on Monday.

Gardai arrested one man on Wednesday, and a second man yesterday in connection with the assault,

The two men, both Eastern european were released without charge yesterday and a file is now being prepared for the DPP.

A bit more detail:
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/13106-man-beaten-%E2%80%98-pulp%E2%80%99-hammer-savage-attack
    Gardai have appealed for witnesses to come forward in relation to one of the most savage assaults to have occurred in the city over recent times – the victim is in a ‘serious but stable’ condition at University Hospital Galway.

The assault occurred at Coolough near Menlo when an East European man in his 30s was ‘beaten to a pulp’ by a number of other men in a small shed near a house between 12 noon and 1pm.

The attack occurred off a laneway near the entrance to the Lackagh Rock quarry in a dispute which could be drugs related – the victim underwent surgery at UHG earlier this week but is now in a stable condition.

Gardai arrested one man on Wednesday in relation to the incident while a second man was arrested on Thursday – both have since been released without charge.

The Galway City Tribune understands that both men questioned are of Eastern European origin – Gardai will decide over the weekend whether to press charges or to prepare a file for sending to the DPP.

The Gardai though are understood to be pursuing a definite line of inquiry in their investigation and they expect to interview a number of other people over the coming days.

One or more implements – possibly a hammer – was used in the course of the assault which left the victim with serious injuries to different parts of his body.

He still managed to make his way from the shed where the assault occurred to the nearby laneway where he was spotted by a local man who immediately raised the alarm.

There were fears for a time on Tuesday that the victim might not survive the attack but medical personnel managed to stabilise his condition before emergency surgery was carried out.

The Gardai’s special crime scene unit cordoned off the area all day Tuesday and for a time on Wednesday morning – local people, in what is a quiet rural area, were said to be shocked at the savagery of the incident. House to house inquiries have also been carried out.

• Advertisement

That's shocking! Hope he recovers soon

Advertisement