Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 700 SPS SS or Tika T3?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new rifle in .308. I will use it mainly for target shooting but I would like to get into deer stalking. I am torn between the Remington 700 SPS SS or Tika T3. The SPS has a longer barrel which should help accuracy, but I have heard good things about the Tikka T3. I think it's barrel is only 20" or something though which seem a bit short for long range shooting. I have a Remington 700 VSSF II in .223 and it shoots really well so maybe the SPS will too. Any opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

T3 Tac comes in 20" and 24" barrels

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just to throw it out there (don't know how fixed you are on the Remmy or Tikka), but was looking at one of these (again) in Jim Griffins in Tullamore. Seems to fit the bill nicely. Its a Savage model 10 FCP with HS precision stock in .308 cal., 24" barrel, 1:10 twist and comes in at about 9 pounds.

10fcphs.png

Will not comment on the other two as i have no (owner) experience with them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

ezridax wrote: »
    Just to throw it out there (don't know how fixed you are on the Remmy or Tikka), but was looking at one of these (again) in Jim Griffins in Tullamore. Seems to fit the bill nicely. Its a Savage model 10 FCP with HS precision stock in .308 cal., 24" barrel, 1:10 twist and comes in at about 9 pounds.

10fcphs.png

Would have to agree the Savage Arms centre fires are getting some great reviews ,And if you would have no interest in a savage , Then no doubt but i would have a tikka .;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forgot to mention the price. Its coming in at around €950 new. Seriously, seriously contemplating one myself. For the money i don't think it can be beat. Would love to fire a few shots through one to see how she goes.

As pat said though my next choice from the two you mentioned would be the Tikka. Stock on them is........... well........... crap looking and i don't like the feel, but from the few i've shot and the results others are getting i believe the barrels, actions are next to none.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Seamus357 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a new rifle in .308. I will use it mainly for target shooting but I would like to get into deer stalking. I am torn between the Remington 700 SPS SS or Tika T3. The SPS has a longer barrel which should help accuracy, but I have heard good things about the Tikka T3. I think it's barrel is only 20" or something though which seem a bit short for long range shooting. I have a Remington 700 VSSF II in .223 and it shoots really well so maybe the SPS will too. Any opinions?

the tikka by miles , a 308 will get good burn in a 20" barrel .your losing only a few fps .

better ,smother action,better trigger,better stock, the most accurate factory rifle on the market for under 1000 euro and above.
    option of a set trigger ,detachable 3-5 shot mags .

so why by a remmie , o ya you can spend as much again on it pimping it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Having shot (but not owned) both the remmy and the tikka t3, I'd have to go for the tikka t3 TBH.

Check out the T3 Varmint, Supervarmint, and the TAC in .308, with the 24in 1:11 twist barrel, you should have a lovely bit of kit out of the box. Nicer factory trigger than the remmy700 too IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

Tikka. Cant go wrong. Not awful fancy but will do exactly what it is supposed to do and will NOT let you down. Lot to be said for that. Whatever your choice, best of luck with new rig. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

sikastag wrote: »
    Tikka. Cant go wrong. Not awful fancy but will do exactly what it is supposed to do and will NOT let you down. Lot to be said for that. Whatever your choice, best of luck with new rig. ;)

http://www.sako.fi/oldmodels.php?synthss75

Or of course Tikka's big brother

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

http://www.sako.fi/oldmodels.php?synthss75

Or of course Tikka's big brother

For sure, 75's are solid. Can't disagree there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

ezridax wrote: »

10fcphs.png

i owned a savage model 10 for a long time excellent rifle.....

• Advertisement

sikastag wrote: »
    For sure, 75's are solid. Can't disagree there.

I miss my old sako 75, I hated that it was grey though, horrible colour for a rifle IMHO
    Brilliant the way you can lock the rifle bolt so nobody can use it!

I miss my old sako 75, I hated that it was grey though, horrible colour for a rifle IMHO
    Brilliant the way you can lock the rifle bolt so nobody can use it!

so good ,sako got rid of it . it was a usless of a thing .

jwshooter wrote: »
    so good ,sako got rid of it . it was a usless of a thing .

I noticed they do not seem to have it any more. i thought it was a good idea, so did the local FO when he was inspecting it.
    Small little key i could wear around my kneck and better than a trigger lock IMHO as you can drill out trigger locks, not the bolt lock as you destroy the rifle, but each to their own.

As I said i don't have a sako anymore but it was very accurate as a hunting rifle in 6.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I was looking to get the Tikka in 308 but couldn't get one at the time and so got myself a secondhand Sako 75 laminated varmint, a super shooter.

The sako 75 is always an great choice .The quality control on the 75 is in a league of its own , Its not for noting that they all are shooter, One of the best out of the box rifles ever built:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Sako are a great rifle however they carry the price tag to go with the rep, how accurate is accurate enough? you could get a custom build for the cost of a new sako85

How accurate . Well in an ideal world which its not ,You would be hope for target accurate from a hunting rifle,;) Oh if only Carlsberg made rifles.:rolleyes:

pat58 wrote: »
    How accurate . Well in an ideal world which its not ,You would be hope for target accurate from a hunting rifle,;) Oh if only Carlsberg made rifles.:rolleyes:

sub inch groups at 200yds with my 270 ,are common . if u can get a 75 or even a action do so .

The sako 75 is always an great choice .The quality control on the 75 is in a league of its own , Its not for noting that they all are shooter, One of the best out of the box rifles ever built:D
    sub inch groups at 200yds with my 270 ,are common . if u can get a 75 or even a action do so .

My Sako 75 .308 shooting 155gr Hornaday @100m and 200m both using the same aim point. 3 shot top group and 2 shot lower groups. Still a little to do but I'm there.
    I'm pleased or wot :D

155AMax448.jpg155AMax46.jpg

clivej wrote: »
    My Sako 75 .308 shooting 155gr Hornaday @100m and 200m both using the same aim point. 3 shot top group and 2 shot lower groups. Still a little to do but I'm there.

I liked everything about my last sako except the colour, it was grey in 6.5x55

It was very accurate too, just the 85 was not my cup of tea.
    So much have changedv since baretta/nokia bought them out.

• Advertisement

im not fan of the 85 , i shot shot a standard 75 and 85 S/S in 25,06 head to head one day .
    the 85 really is the poor cousion of the finest rifle ever to be made .

recoil in the 85 was worse ,also more flip is a problem .its so important to see the strike .the rifle did not recoil into your shoulder like the 75 ,it just felt wrong to shoot .

sako have the tikka why make a sako one .

you shoot better at 200 clive .

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

The majority seem to favour the Tikka T3 alright. I wasn't aware that it came in a 24" barrel. Do you know if Jim Griffen in Tullamore sells them?

Seamus357 wrote: »
    The majority seem to favour the Tikka T3 alright. I wasn't aware that it came in a 24" barrel. Do you know if Jim Griffen in Tullamore sells them?

I do know mcbride in athlone does, I'm sure slim Jim would get one for ya too

you shoot better at 200 clive .

That's cos I can't see the target as well @200m :D

Thanks JW - I think we will meet this season.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

If one takes money into concideration...
    My choice would be a howa.
    I couldn't live with a sako, howa, tikka or remmy factory stock. So this cost comes anyway. I have a remmy at the moment, nice light action but it has slight feeding problems and I can't wait to fit a mag system.
    The howa I had fed really well.
    The old sako got handed down could't hit a frying pan. After a rebarrel she shoots a touch over an inch at 300m.

I would choose a custom barrel on a remmy, howa or tikka over a factory sako anytime.
    If one stumbles across a bargin Sako, why not, they are good.

edi

That's cos I can't see the target as well @200m :D

Thanks JW - I think we will meet this season.;)

yes cilve we must , we will see is your spotting is better than dwights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

yes cilve we must , we will see is your spotting is better than dwights :D

He will be fine as long as he has a 30 mph wind in his face and they jump out in front of him 75 yds away standing broadside...:D:D:D

Only Joking Clivley

dwighet wrote: »
    He will be fine as long as he has a 30 mph wind in his face and they jump out in front of him 75 yds away standing broadside...:D:D:D

Only Joking Clivley

But I'll still take it down. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

But I'll still take it down. :D:D:D
    cowboy

Advertisement