Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 700 SPS SS or Tika T3?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

jwshooter wrote: »
    :D

its a 22" barrel end of ...,you like the stock on the remmi and vtr or what ever its called over a sako .

Yes I do. it does as required.
    You don't have to shoot it. I do.
    It does what i want it to do.

i am not a Professional stalker like yourself so I only fire it a few times a year and it is sub 1/2" @100
    So if I got a better scope and and mounts as part of a trade I was pleased.

My .223 is my most used. Just in from busting a few bunnies and a grey crow.
    I might toy around with my VTR during the summer for the craic.
    Or i might not.

Or I might buy another rifle when i get my mid year bonus, stranger things have happened :D:D:D

Mabe I'll buy a sauer or Blaser, That could be another thread though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

pat58
    Are you obsessed with following my posts?
    Every post I make you have some school boy snide remark.
    Particularly when you do not know me or my circumstances.

Can you keep your comments on thread here?
    Tac relax , I am far from following you, :rolleyes: I just find it hard to on topic when i hear crap ,(not aimed at you) ;) ,Like i said before its only my opinion, VTR stock over a 75, I no what 99% of the people that i know would prefer , The other 1% are just a bit tick, As for the .223 we all had to start some ware , :rolleyes:
    1/2 " @ 100 yards is good going for a .223 keep practicing you will get there, ;)
    Little tip try not to restrict your self to 100 yards ,Try a few groups a bit further out :D

pat58 wrote: »
    Tac relax , I am far from following you, :rolleyes: I just find it hard to on topic when i hear crap ,(not aimed at you)
    I have read the above line and still can not truly understand the diction. ;) ,Like i said before its only my opinion, VTR stock over a 75, I no what 99% of the people that i know would prefer , The other 1% are just a bit tick, As for the .223 we all had to start some ware SomeWHERE I think you mean, :rolleyes:

1/2 " @ 100 yards is good going for a .223 keep practicing you will get there, ;)
    Little tip try not to restrict your self to 100 yards ,Try a few groups a bit further out :D

100 yards is the standard that most people 99% quantify a Hunting/Varmint rifle on.
    Below my group 300 metres .223.
    I never restrict myself ;) I am well below 1/2 " @100. Not bad @ 300 either for an armature.

If we were getting into symantics I prefer neither stock(Sako or Remington), I will get a stock custom build this year, Colour Green, and raised cheekpiece on the right not left to suit my needs. Not that that has anything to do with anything. The sako was also rusting even though it was supposed to be an all weather model.(probably a bell and Carlson retro fit job or maybe a full custom Edi Job ;)

So after spending a lot on the SAKO in the first place I said I'd get rid before it got worse. Rust on an all weather firearm was not ok for me.
    In case you failed to read my posts correctly I have 2 Remington 700's.
    You keep commenting about how bad a .223 is yet 99% of the country would say, there design brief fulfills most categories in it's class rather well.

But this is very off topic as you insist on trying to make this personal.
    Remington SPS or Tikka T3. I believe Mcbride in athlone is selling a VSSF II for €1200. So the OP might be interested.
    Add in Shooters Digest I flicked through yesterday.

[/U]

100 yards is the standard that most people 99% quantify a Hunting/Varmint rifle on.
    I never restrict myself ;) I am well below 1/2 " @100. Not bad @ 300 either for an armature.

If we were getting into symantics I prefer neither stock(Sako or Remington), I will get a stock custom build this year, Colour Green, and raised cheekpiece on the right not left to suit my needs. Not that that has anything to do with anything. The sako was also rusting even though it was supposed to be an all weather model.(probably a bell and Carlson retro fit job or maybe a full custom Edi Job ;)

So after spending a lot on the SAKO in the first place I said I'd get rid before it got worse. Rust on an all weather firearm was not ok for me.
    You keep commenting about how bad a .223 is yet 99% of the country would say, there design brief fulfills most categories in it's class rather well.

Remington SPS or Tikka T3. I believe Mcbride in athlone is selling a VSSF II for €1200. So the OP might be interested.
    Its great to get it off your chest ,(rant of the week):D
    You must have no idea how to mind your rifle if your letting it rust,:rolleyes: If you want some advice you can pm me ,(always like to help a young lad);) I dont thing thje .223 is that bad ,They are jack of all trades but master of none,;) Can you please get back on topic and no need to reply;)

pat58 wrote: »
    Its great to get it off your chest ,(rant of the week):D
    You must have no idea how to mind your rifle if your letting it rust,:rolleyes: If you want some advice you can pm me ,(always like to help a young lad);) I dont thing thje .223 is that bad ,They are jack of all trades but master of none,;) Can you please get back on topic and no need to reply;)

I was on topic, at least I think that is what you are trying to say?
    I have had both rifles, the VSSF II does not rust, as it is polished SS and not not powder coated.

There is one BRAND new going very right for sale.
    If i wanted your advise i would have asked for it.

Several on here give sterling advise, Clive, dCorbus, Ezridax, Tomcat220, and Paulo6.5.
    i listen to them as they show insight and zeal. They do not go on with school yard, my rifle is better than yours jargon.

You keep taking about a .223 like they are rubbish?
    The OP wanted a .223 if I remember correctly?
    A .270 is primarialy a deer calibre in this country and target shooter for a few members of approved ranges.
    A .223 is for people who want to shoot rabbits and foxes.
    Advising someone to get a .270 as a jack of all trades is dangers as many YOUNG impressionable types may read this and think that is going to be their first rifle:eek:

The .223 Remington 700 VSSFII for price previously mentioned is almost €300 of last years price and out of the box accurate enough to do as intend shoot varmints.

I think your posts could be considered trolling!

• Advertisement

Stainless is how it sounds , Its stains less ,(not impervious to rust,;) (you may still learn how to clean your rifle):rolleyes:

Yes they know there stuff fare play ,;) (someday you might:rolleyes:)
    Why do you feel the need to name names like that,??
    Are you wanting then to jump in and back you up,
    Are you trying to say something about me and school yards on a shooting form,(whats wrong with you):mad:

Sorry forgot you fall into that age group , (impressionable types)
    I believe i said there is better calibers ;)

As long as you would he happy with it .

I believe i asked you not to keep replying and stop trolling,So lets get back to the op question, And leave off your misguided views;) (so lets please keep to facts and if you like you can pm me )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Advising someone to get a .270 as a jack of all trades is dangers as many YOUNG impressionable types may read this and think that is going to be their first rifle:eek:

why .do you shoot your 223 with less regard than your 308 . i don't ...when i bring out any of my firearm out ,i do not think of my .22 as less dangerous as any other i have .

lets hope YOUNG impressionable types are old enough to know bullshine when they read it .

why .do you shoot your 223 with less regard than your 308 . i don't ...when i bring out any of my firearm out ,i do not think of my .22 as less dangerous as any other i have .

lets hope YOUNG impressionable types are old enough to know bullshine when they read it .

JW, would you advise a young fella wanting a fox rifle to get a .270? Even you would have to say no there are more appropiate calibres?

You are alleging I am unsafe with firearms here, I threat all firearms with respect from air rifle to .30 cal's
    you are also inferring a .270 is a fine starting rifle by association of your point to the reference text.

You may like to think I speak bullshine, you are entitled to your opinions.
    I am entitled to have an opinion. My opinion is; if my brother, cousin, friend or stranger asked me for a good foxing/bunnie round I'd say .223 .204 .220swift or .17hmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

[/U]

Thats a really tight group at 300 yards ;).Fine shooting .What ammo were ya using?

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Thats a really tight group at 300 yards ;).Fine shooting .What ammo were ya using?

Hornady of course!

Not as tight as custom rifles .22/250 group though

• Advertisement

Hornady of course!

Not as tight as custom rifles .22/250 group though
    What size was the group?Hornady 55gr moly?

What size was the group?Hornady 55gr moly?

his group was seriously small, smaller than mine and I had extremely calm conditions when i fired mine.

You'd have to ask him exact details.
    He has a barrel like a crow bar over an inch thick as far as I remember, a real tack driver Remington.

his group was seriously small, smaller than mine and I had extremely calm conditions when i fired mine.

You'd have to ask him exact details.
    He has a barrel like a crow bar over an inch thick as far as I remember, a real tack driver Remington.
    I ment ,what size was your .223 group at 300 yards ?It looks about 1" ??Factory remington :eek:.

I ment ,what size was your .223 group at 300 yards ?It looks about 1" ??Factory remington :eek:.

Bout that, i did not have a tape so I used a €2 what size is a €2? I still have no tape ruler or vernier to hand :D

I only use factory ammo. if and when the latter is available I may go that route, but until then (other than the price) I am very happy with Hornady

Bout that, i did not have a tape so I used a €2 what size is a €2? I still have no tape ruler or vernier to hand :D

I only use factory ammo. if and when the latter is available I may go that route, but until then (other than the price) I am very happy with Hornady
    Its about 1.0125 ";).Close enough to an inch ,i guess:rolleyes:.Thats a rabbits head all day long.:D

Its about 1.0125 ";).Close enough to an inch ,i guess:rolleyes:.Thats a rabbits head all day long.:D

Ah it does me, very happy with the hit rate over the last few weeks and tweaks

Might do the .308 Remington for the laugh now.
    It's accurate enough, but I love an engineering challenge ;)

JW, would you advise a young fella wanting a fox rifle to get a .270? Even you would have to say no there are more appropiate calibres?

You are alleging I am unsafe with firearms here, I threat all firearms with respect from air rifle to .30 cal's
    you are also inferring a .270 is a fine starting rifle by association of your point to the reference text.

You may like to think I speak bullshine, you are entitled to your opinions.
    I am entitled to have an opinion. My opinion is; if my brother, cousin, friend or stranger asked me for a good foxing/bunnie round I'd say .223 .204 .220swift or .17hmr

See you are back talking bullshine tac ,;) The same safety requirements are involved with a .270 as any other caliber , So by you making a false statement like you did is totally unwanted:eek:, You keep using words like young fella and impressionable ,I have a good few friends that use the .270 as a good all round caliber ,;) I would not hesitate to recommend the .270 as a great all rounder , Because anybody i shoot with including as you call them young fellas are very safety minded at all times ,(dont know what kind of goons you shoot with)

Please think before you post tac, This is not having a go at you ,Its because respect is required for all caliber sizes, So if you could edit your post it would be great as a responsible firearms holder, ;)

Seamus357 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a new rifle in .308. I will use it mainly for target shooting but I would like to get into deer stalking. I am torn between the Remington 700 SPS SS or Tika T3. The SPS has a longer barrel which should help accuracy, but I have heard good things about the Tikka T3. I think it's barrel is only 20" or something though which seem a bit short for long range shooting. I have a Remington 700 VSSF II in .223 and it shoots really well so maybe the SPS will too. Any opinions?

Hi Seamus, what rifle did you go for in the end?
    Thread seems to have gone off on a tangent.

Hopefully your reply will get it back on course or complete it's journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

pat58 stop goading poster Tackleberrywho or you are facing a holiday from posting. Actually that goes for the group of you doing it.

If you disagree with points made, that's fair enough but any more sly digs will result in a ban.

Vegeta wrote: »
    pat58 stop goading poster Tackleberrywho or you are facing a holiday from posting. Actually that goes for the group of you doing it.

If you disagree with points made, that's fair enough but any more sly digs will result in a ban.

or is he just correcting him .

if you make a statement you should be able to stand over it with facts or experience .altering or miss quoting ,for your own purpose is more of a concern ,well to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

or is he just correcting him .

if you make a statement you should be able to stand over it with facts or experience .altering or miss quoting ,for your own purpose is more of a concern ,well to me anyway.

You can correct something without trying to slight the poster

If you want to discuss moderation further we can take it to PM but the warning stands, it has got out of hand. Causing an undue amount of moderation and an unpleasant atmosphere in the forums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

for out of the box i'd pick the tikka, if you want to have a one of a kind rifle after a few years of saving and adding accesories and changing parts such as stocks, triggers barrell etc buy a remmington, have you considered cz at all, from what i hear they are a great rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

I haven't bought it yet. I am leaning strongly towards the Tikka T3 though. I haven't got up to Tullamore or Athlone yet. I'm trying to get a free weekend to head up. I see that Duffy's in Galway are advertising the Tikka T3 Tactical for €1,625, the super varmint €1,299 and the varmint for €1,050. Is there much difference between them?

I haven't bought it yet. I am leaning strongly towards the Tikka T3 though. I haven't got up to Tullamore or Athlone yet. I'm trying to get a free weekend to head up. I see that Duffy's in Galway are advertising the Tikka T3 Tactical for €1,625, the super varmint €1,299 and the varmint for €1,050. Is there much difference between them?

They all are good, some heavier than others AFAIK but the price and accuracy reflects that

575 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

575 euro

That hurt ;)

I have tried a number of gun dealers now and they are all saying that the there is a long lead time on Tikka T3 orders. One gun dealer said it could be 6 months. Has anyone had a similar problem with Tikka T3's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Try Mervyn Young, he got my T3 tactical in less than a week!

Where is he based? Have you a contact number for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Advertisement