Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice?

• 25-05-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Right i am in secondary school in 3rd year...im very interested in science...i intend on doing ag science and biology in fifth year....i am wondering about becoming a biotechnologist.....our career guidance councillor is useless....i just want to know what the job entails?...would it help to have done chemistery for the lc?.......what are the chances of getting a job in this area?

sorry for the bombardment of questions,

Thanks in advance,

Darragh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

DCU have a Biotechnology degree. I'm in UCD doing zoology but I remember wishing I had done chemistry for the leaving cert when I was in the omnibus stage. At the same time though, you'll do a lot of chemistry in first year biology. It was tough enough at the time (for me anyway, since I didn't do it for the leaving cert) but nothing too bad, and looking back on it now, it seems so basic. As far as I know from friends doing the biotech degree in DCU its a lot of engineering and engineering type maths, bioprocessing, microbiology and loads of other stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 Reenakjr

Hi Darrah,

Biotechnology is new technology for industrial production of hormones, antibiotics and other chemicals, food and energy sources and processing of waste materials etc.

Good scope for industry jobs or if u want to stay in research you will find plenty of funding oppurtunities in Ireland..

If u r interested in Biotechnology check this link below...

http://www.mysciencecareer.ie/irish-scientists/famous-irish-scientists

http://www.dcu.ie/biotechnology/about.shtml

Best wishes.....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm doing genetics and cell biology in DCU, but I'd work with the biotech class a lot. I'd echo the statement about doing chemistry, while not essential, it will definitely help. They also do a good bit of engineering so decent maths skills will help.

That said I didn't chemistry myself and I'm manging fine, albeit with a good bit of study :)

I'd definietly recommend DCU for your degree aswell, I personally really enjoy it, and we do 6 months INTRA work experience in 3rd year, which employers look for. (that said, not sure on other universities work experience)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

Thanks guys...my maths is good my chemistry is good but my school often doesnt have it.....due to low take up of the subject......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

I have just finished my third year of a science education degree. I too did not do chemistry for the LC and had to do it in first year of college. While I did initially find it hard, most programmes will start with basic chemistry that is around the level of LC chemistry, in theory allowing those who have not studied the subject before to "catch up".

In regard to your choices of biology and agricultural science, I would say that this is a great combination for the LC, in terms of the understanding of each subject and getting CAO points. They have many topics that overlap (e.g. genetics, animal physiology, etc.). This should help you alot as you are covering certain material more often than usual.

Hope this helps. Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement