Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunsmiths & Gun Dealers

Options
  • 25-05-2010 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, can anybody suggest a gun dealer in Dublin? Preferably in the D9 or surrounding areas that are licensed to hold fire arms? Once it's in the Dublin area it's all good, but best if it was on the north. I think South Meath or East Kildare would be good too.

Anybody have an estimate on what and how they charge? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Arm..... What and how much they would charge for what?.......
    I may be wrong but it think you will find that all firearms dealers will be liscenced to hold firearms ha ha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

To hold a gun. My lisence is up soon and I want to store my gun in a gunsmiths.

Are all dealers able to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hi, can anybody suggest a gun dealer in Dublin? Preferably in the D9 or surrounding areas that are licensed to hold fire arms? Once it's in the Dublin area it's all good, but best if it was on the north. I think South Meath or East Kildare would be good too.

Gunsmiths who are also RFD's there are only 2 I know of in the country.
    Neither are in Dublin.

1 is an hour from Dublin all motorway in Athlone if that is any good to you
    The other is in Kilkenny

To hold a gun. My lisence is up soon and I want to store my gun in a gunsmiths.

Are all dealers able to do this?

Gun Dealers can store rifles but i know of several who won't and some who charge €50+ a week !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Gun Dealers can store rifles but i know of several who won't and some who charge €50+ a week !

50 a week? Are they taking the piss? That's extremely expensive.

I just got word from the FO that the application was granted to the man I am selling the gun to. I don't think he knows that yet :P

So should be grand, thanks for the info anyway guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Anyone who charges THAT kind of oney should be named and shamed within and boycotted by the shooting community.That is blatant profiteering on the misery of others.:mad:.I've no problem with people having to earn a buck in any shape or form,God knows we are all in the same boat,[excluding senior "civil "serpents,politicans,and banking executives, from THIS paticular lifeboat]. But that is outrageous,but to be expected here,we love to kick our own when we are down.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I've heard of €40 - €50 per Month, but jesus, if any RFD is charging €50 per week, that's scandalous!

That's part of a small feckin' mortgage!

dCorbus wrote: »
    I've heard of €40 - €50 per Month, but jesus, if any RFD is charging €50 per week, that's scandalous!

That's part of a small feckin' mortgage!

My figures alas again may be incorrect, maybe it was €40-50 a month, either way I believe that is too much.

There was one fellah trying that 50 per month down here.He hasnt got very much in storage now,because of that or because everyone heard about his prices.It is still daylight robbery though.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MMC1

As a dealer I find it incredible that anyone in the business would charge 50 euro per month for storage of a firearm. I charge a nominal charge of 2.50 euro a month to cover the costs of initial paperwork, de-humidifier, elect. etc etc. No charge to locals or anyone who purchased a gun from me.
    I think most dealers would be inclined to facilitate temporary storage for a small charge - my advice! - shop around

• Advertisement

MMC1 wrote: »
    As a dealer I find it incredible that anyone in the business would charge 50 euro per month for storage of a firearm. I charge a nominal charge of 2.50 euro a month to cover the costs of initial paperwork, de-humidifier, elect. etc etc. No charge to locals or anyone who purchased a gun from me.
    I think most dealers would be inclined to facilitate temporary storage for a small charge - my advice! - shop around

Where is your operation, PM if you prefer

MMC1 wrote: »
    As a dealer I find it incredible that anyone in the business would charge 50 euro per month for storage of a firearm

Well, can tell you that is a Fact MMC! I was quoted the same price at that dealer.

think most dealers would be inclined to facilitate temporary storage for a small charge - my advice! - shop around
    One would hope...And fair dues for you to keep your price in the sane level of things,for Ireland anyway.
    Shopping around isnt easy either.I had to put mine in storage a 120 km round trip from where I live before I found somone reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MMC1

Grizzly, ok! We are all in agreement that a minority are applying extortionate charges. I have stored firearms in the EU waiting for importation certs for as little as 1 Euro per week (assuming the vendor even charged this).We are currently in an economic depression (recession left the building a long time ago). All I can say is, if you don't like the cost, walk away and make some noise. Sales are way down in the ROI so most dealers would look at the storage of a firearm as potential future custom (I assume most do take this point of view) - having said that, I've also heard of lads asking dealers to take in pieces of Sh1te that would cost more to destroy. end note: if someone has a firearm that they cannot license or are waiting on a license, hand it into the dealer you purchased it from originally or locate a dealer willing to store it at a nominal or zero cost - customer through the door will nearly always buy something regardless of reason for being there!

On the EU storage costs.
    Was quoted for storage in Germany FIFTY EUROS PA.Didnt matter wether it was 1,10,or 100! Flat fee charge.The store had more handguns in storage than we have liscensed in the ROI.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Pat Clinton in lucan is a sound man dont know what he charges for storage but hes normally alright.
    As regards your licence being up once you applied for the new one you should be alright i had the same problem and asked the supp where i stood and he told me once youve applied your ok to hold onto the gun but every station seems to be different on that but worth calling them

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sam I Am

This is from last November.
    I'd love to find the same info on an official website, garda.ie or something, so I could print it out and carry it around from next week.
    It is reassuring, but would make me doubt the accuracy of info that I might get from the local station if I asked there.

http://www.nargc.ie/site.aspx
    AN IMPORTANT FIREARMS QUESTION CLARIFIED!
    6/11/2009
    The question has been constantly raised as to whether firearms licence holders have to hand their firearms in to a firearms dealer if their licence applications/renewals had still not been processed by the end of the period of extension which was granted by the Garda Commissioner.

This matter was addressed by the Head of the Firearms Policy Unit at Garda HQ, Superintendent Fergus Healy, at a meeting of the Firearms Consultative Panel in the Department of Justice on October 6th 2009. At that meeting he stated that the Gardai would be taking a pragmatic approach to this matter and elaborated that it would be the same approach they had historically taken in relation to the payment of licence fees i.e. even those who paid late were not required to surrender their firearms.

Because of continuing questions on this subject as a result of some Garda stations telling licence applicants that they would have to hand in their guns if the licences were not processed at the end of the extension period, NARGC Director Des Crofton raised the issue again and the situation as set out above was reaffirmed.

Therefore, if licence applications are in the system at the end of an extension period but not yet issued, guns do not have to be handed in. If however the applications have not been made at the end of the extension period, then that is a different matter and the guns do have to be handed in. Also, if a refusal to grant has been made, even before the extension period has expired, the gun owner must dispose of the gun or hand it in to a dealer pending the determination of any appeal to the District Court.

This re-enforces our previous urging of gun owners to get their applications in as quickly as possible. There are now literally thousands of licences being processed every week.

Advertisement