Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

just been given a Nikon fm

• 25-05-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

film lovers, i have just been given a Nikon fm from the grandfather inlaw. he says that he has shot thousands of shots on it but got rid of all his negs when moving to dublin in the late 80's. Im just wondering where i could get her a service and a clean as shes been in storage for about 15 years.
    cant wait to get a few rolls shot.
    any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

film lovers, i have just been given a Nikon fm from the grandfather inlaw. he says that he has shot thousands of shots on it but got rid of all his negs when moving to dublin in the late 80's. Im just wondering where i could get her a service and a clean as shes been in storage for about 15 years.
    cant wait to get a few rolls shot.
    any advice welcomed.

I'd simply click the shutter a few times at all speeds, if it sounds right it is probably ok. those are tough well made cameras ...

these guys really know their old cameras and are reasonable.

http://www.camerarepaircentre.com/

I've had over 14 cameras & lens serviced there and never an issue including complete rebuilds using parts from two broken ones to make a whole. just don't expect 24 hr turnaround ... they take their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I've used that place for servicing; worked out good value for the repair but it's not quite as quick as a McDonalds drive-thru!

(you can get the manual for the FM from the internet easy enough; can't remember the site off the top of my head but a quick google should turn it up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There is a chap on here who services film cameras, boardmann- perhaps send him a message. He fixed a Pentax ME Super for me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=229110

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I'll be stopping in to Camera Repair Centre tomorrow with my Minolta. Let you know how it goes.

BTW, I am seriously jealous. Benn bidding on (and losing) Ebay for sometime now. :)
    Congrats on the new toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I'll be stopping in to Camera Repair Centre tomorrow with my Minolta. Let you know how it goes.

I'd really appreciate it if you could post about your experiences with your Minolta.

I have an SR-1 and a couple of old Rokkor lenses for it, have been thinking about getting a decent CLA done. Also have a near pristine XD-11. My Father gave me both and has been telling me to sell the kit to fund new purchases, just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

• Advertisement

Not a problem.

If you do decide to sell let me know. :DD

• Registered Users Posts: 34 scr33n

The FM what a classic, it's a tank - there's hardly anything that can go wrong with it as Simplicius said just fire it off at all speeds and get everything moving, chances are it'll still be working just fine. They really don't make them like that anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

it seems to be functioning grand chaps. The only issue i think it may have is it's 'meter' that little indicator inside the viewfinder telling you if your exposure is correct. I have put two working batteries in it but cant seem to get a reading on the meter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

cant seem to get a reading on the meter?

Grab the user manual here -

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/nikon_fm/nikon_fm.htm

and have a look at Page 6 in relation to turning the camera on so that it meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

A light should come up with the film advance lever pulled back, the shutter button half pressed and a shutter speed other than "b"

edit: sure it'll work fine without the meter anyway ;)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule or sunny 11 rule I think someone said for Irish light

• Advertisement

Simplicius wrote: »
    I'd simply click the shutter a few times at all speeds, if it sounds right it is probably ok. those are tough well made cameras ...

these guys really know their old cameras and are reasonable.

http://www.camerarepaircentre.com/

I've had over 14 cameras & lens serviced there and never an issue including complete rebuilds using parts from two broken ones to make a whole. just don't expect 24 hr turnaround ... they take their time.

Just make sure to disregard the address on the website. They are not there anymore. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Just make sure to disregard the address on the website. They are not there anymore. :(

Whoops, Sorry, I should have mentioned that, they moved a few years ago.. work out of their houses. Declan does door to door collect & return service if you are anywhere within resonable cycling distance!

Simplicius wrote: »
    Whoops, Sorry, I should have mentioned that, they moved a few years ago.. work out of their houses. Declan does door to door collect & return service if you are anywhere within resonable cycling distance!

It's not a problem just have to get my minolta fixed within 3 weeks.

Used their online contact info a while back and he got back to me in a day or two. Now, I just have to get the camera to them.

dave66 wrote: »
    I'd really appreciate it if you could post about your experiences with your Minolta.

I have an SR-1 and a couple of old Rokkor lenses for it, have been thinking about getting a decent CLA done. Also have a near pristine XD-11. My Father gave me both and has been telling me to sell the kit to fund new purchases, just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

Met with Declan today. He met me near George street arcade, nice guy and seemed really knowledgeable about Minolta and about cameras in general. 30-35 euro for a cleaning, light seal replacements and a bit of a service.

Post more when I get the camera back. He said it would be ready monday or tuesday, but I will out of town till next week so more then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Met with Declan today. He met me near George street arcade, nice guy and seemed really knowledgeable about Minolta and about cameras in general. 30-35 euro for a cleaning, light seal replacements and a bit of a service.

Post more when I get the camera back. He said it would be ready monday or tuesday, but I will out of town till next week so more then. :)

Thanks for that.

What Minolta are you having serviced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

it seems to be functioning grand chaps. The only issue i think it may have is it's 'meter' that little indicator inside the viewfinder telling you if your exposure is correct. I have put two working batteries in it but cant seem to get a reading on the meter?

You have to pull the film advance level out for the meter to work.

dave66 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

What Minolta are you having serviced?

It's an XG-A.

Got it back today, looks in fine fettle. Won't know more till I put a roll thru it and have it dev'ed.

Advertisement