Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AlphaWave any good?

• 25-05-2010 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone out there is using the AlphaWave wireless broadband service in the South East (Waterford)? There's supposedly a mast on the Comeraghs which I may be in LOS for. Are the speeds maintained the majority of time? Any good for Skype etc? Much better than midband offerings?

Any advice appreciated!!

T

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TVMANIAC2

bump!

Anyone any ideas?

Maybe I should have posted in midband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Oh my if only you had seen the threads I had on them. 2.4GHz is a nightmare in some areas (packet loss and latency in the hundreds) because of interference. If you tell them to install you on 5.x GHz it should be fine. I used to be on 2.4GHz with them, was absolutey terrible at times. I had to move to 5.x GHz myself and now it's perfect, using VoIP and gaming etc.
    10ms latency to sip.blueface.ie
    13ms to www.heanet.ie
    I'm not on the comeragh mountains mast (if there is one), so it also depends on the performance of the backhaul links, which should be fine.
    One thing I really like about them is the Unlimited Usage.

Oh my if only you had seen the threads I had on them. 2.4GHz is a nightmare in some areas (packet loss and latency in the hundreds) because of interference. If you tell them to install you on 5.x GHz it should be fine. I used to be on 2.4GHz with them, was absolutey terrible at times. I had to move to 5.x GHz myself and now it's perfect, using VoIP and gaming etc.
    10ms latency to sip.blueface.ie
    13ms to www.heanet.ie
    I'm not on the comeragh mountains mast (if there is one), so it also depends on the performance of the backhaul links, which should be fine.
    One thing I really like about them is the Unlimited Usage.

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like it beats the ping time of ~250ms on my mobile broadband package. The 10GB limit is a killer!

Does poor weather affect it much? My mobile 'broadband' was down from most of January til April, which seemed to be weather related!

Once you have LOS and a decent signal, weather has no affect.

Once you have LOS and a decent signal, weather has no affect.

Cheers!

Out of curiousity, do you know if the service uses WEP or WPA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'm with them too, also not on the Comeragh mast though,

been with them for 5 years without no real problems, on the 1mb package as thats all i need, i find it very consistent, never noticed weather affecting it.

I've never asked for a change from 2.4ghZ so i presume i'm still on that, whenever i check it on pingtest its consistently 1mb,

my only gripe with it is every couple of hours or so the ping will timeout for a couple of seconds, and if your gaming this will cause you to lose connection,

still though, there the best for me, no land line charge, 30 quid month, unlimited downloads, super

WEP.

Cheers folks!

Think I'll give them a call so!

Some_Person, do you use this for Blueface too? Is the call quality as good as regular calls? Do you get a normal router from AlphaWave which Blueface just plugs into?

Sorry for all the questions!!:rolleyes:

Yes I use Blueface for VoIP, call quality is better and louder especially. Firstly you have the antenna on your roof which acts as a router with only 1 port to connect anything so you'll need to ask them for a switch or wireless router to have multiple ports.

• Advertisement

Let me know how it goes.

Advertisement