Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing An All Science Leaving Cert

• 25-05-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hey! Im currently in TY and have chosen to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Applied Maths as well as the 3 Core Subjects, All Honours. How much work would be needed daily to get say, in the 500s, more preferrably high? Im willing to put in work, I was jst wondering if any previous or current leaving cert have some advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

check if any of the courses you want to do require a third language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

To be honest I wish I'd done this. Not that I'm obsessed with science or anything but in my opinion, science subjects are the easiest to do well in. I do chemistry and biology, and, in comparison to other subjects I do (art, history) they're way more straight-forward. Also the way they're marked isn't as subjective - it's a right or wrong answer, it can all be learnt off. Also there are many parallels between the sciences - I do bio and chem and there's many things that cross over which is handy in understanding stuff for both.
    Seriously go for it. Wish I did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Only do this is if you're quite intelligent, a diligent worker and very very good at maths! A lot of people struggle hugely with honours maths, physics and also chemistry in 5th year so just be wary of the fact that it's a HUGE jump from Junior Cert science. pathway33 is also right - a lot of courses require a third language, but you could always just do that at ordinary level. Applied Maths and Honours Maths are supposed to be very time consuming so you'd probably need to do pass in English/Irish or something and just keep the six straight honours... it's all you need really! But like zam said also, if that's what you think would suit you, go for it! It's not impossible at the end of the day. It could work out well or it could be too large a workload! I guess you just need to find someone doing exactly those subjects to get perspective... hopefully there'll be someone on here. I'd try and have a look at some of the textbooks for those subjects and look at exam papers, being informed is the key!

And to answer your question... it would definitely be a LOT of work, there's a lot of understanding involved in applied maths, maths, physics and chemistry so you have to get past the confusion stage, into the understanding stage, learning it off stage, and then applying to the questions stage. That said, the Leaving Cert is hard and requires lots of work if you want to do well, no subject is ''easy'' and at least there'd be crossover with some of them like zam said that might help. If you realistically are willing to study hard for the next two years it would be doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

zam wrote: »
    To be honest I wish I'd done this. Not that I'm obsessed with science or anything but in my opinion, science subjects are the easiest to do well in. I do chemistry and biology, and, in comparison to other subjects I do (art, history) they're way more straight-forward. Also the way they're marked isn't as subjective - it's a right or wrong answer, it can all be learnt off. Also there are many parallels between the sciences - I do bio and chem and there's many things that cross over which is handy in understanding stuff for both.
    Seriously go for it. Wish I did!

Yes as we are approaching the LC, Biology and Physics is a joy to have compared to English:)

I heard Chemistry is the hardest, though. Essential if you wanna do Medicine or a Chem-course

Applied Maths and Physics are quite well matched. Make sure you dont need a language or do one outside

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

A lot of my friends didn't do a third language, but are now regretting it as there are many courses they can't do. I have one friend that wanted to do a course in UCD, but couldn't because although it was business/economics related, it required a third language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Well I can tell you one thing,there is a lot of crossover between physics and applied maths and a bit with physics and chemistry(particle physics option).I'd say do it if you LOVE science other than that you won't enjoy the clases and never do aswell in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Comrade C

Cheers for all the feedback! Im planning on doing science, in Trinity or England so all i need is irish since it is know recognised as a european language! Iv a very keen interest in science as i read quite alot of dawkins and hawkins and get new scientist weekly so interest is not an issue :) ! Also went to an irish school and read alot so i say il prob be able to keep up with english and irish honours! How many hours a night am i looking at with these subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You're doing the same subjects as me, except I'm doing French instead of applied maths. I can't decide whether or not it was a mistake to take physics as I'm not going to need it and since I'm good at essay writing, history would have been nice for points. I think it will be ok because I love science and I hate history so hopefully it will balance out

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I would have loved to have been able to choose another science subject. Currently doing bio and chem but it didn't work out with the timetable to do more so I'm doing history which I suck at. Much better at learning sciency subjects and I like the maths in chem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Well I'd say that if you're doing all three sciences you'll need to be working hard and studying consistently throughout your LC year if you want to do well. Physics and Chemistry (and, I assume, Applied Maths too) aren't the kind of subjects you can bluff your way through, and you really do need to know the courses well to get good grades. These subjects are very interesting in my opinion, but they're not easy going either and you need to bear this in mind! They're all about understanding difficult concepts (particularly Chemistry) and being able to apply knowledge and solve problems. Studying these subjects can be quite demanding - you can't simply learn everything off. Biology is quite different to the other sciences (most people find it easier) because it's primarily a rote-learning subject. Regardless, starting the LC cycle is a huge shock to the system because all the subjects get so much harder, so be prepared for this!

As regards how much time to spend studying, that all depends on you! Some people are very quick at memorising things, others need constant repetition and more time to absorb information. If you want to play it safe, you should work consistently from the start of the year and try and keep on top of everything, but you'll quickly work out for yourself how much study you need to be doing to do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Comrade C wrote: »
    Cheers for all the feedback! Im planning on doing science, in Trinity or England so all i need is irish since it is know recognised as a european language! Iv a very keen interest in science as i read quite alot of dawkins and hawkins and get new scientist weekly so interest is not an issue :) ! Also went to an irish school and read alot so i say il prob be able to keep up with english and irish honours! How many hours a night am i looking at with these subjects?

I wouldn't worry about too much study like. Took up chemistry at the beginning of 6th year and have by no means killed myself over it. Just staying on top of your work in 5th year is enough and then doing a sensible amount of work in 6th year will be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm in 5th year (nearly finished now), doing physics, chemistry and biology. Tbh, if you like science, they'll be your favourite subjects. :) Although I find physics can be abit dull, as it takes a goooood while before the course gets exciting. It really provides the foundations for the *real* physics, the exciting stuff! That said, it's actually easy enough, and if you're good at maths, there really isn't much a challenge in it besides learning off the bit of theory. Also, it'd be complementary to your Applied Maths (and some sections of the course are common to chemistry).

Chemistry is one of my favourite subjects tbh. Many people are scared off from it by it's rather theoretical concepts. With chemistry, you really must endeavour to understand the material. You CANNOT just learn it off, I really dunno how somebody could, it'd be a load of gibberish if you didn't understand it. I'll warn you now, pay attention in all your chemistry classes! Missing a class in a daydream haze has worse consequences than the other sciences. It's enjoyable though, and interesting. Grasping the concepts is quite rewarding. The exam is very, very fair, with a decent amount of choice. They're some sections you'll find challenging, but it all comes together, believe me!

Biology is probably the most popular science subject with students. It is definetly my favourite. It is true, a lot of it is just learning the stuff. Photosynthesis, DNA and respiration are the only things that come to mind that require a decent grasp of concepts (but note, although there are few things on the course that are difficult to understand, things such as DNA, photosynthesis and respiration are VERY popular on the exam papers). If you liked JC biology, and are interested the function of the human systems, disease, and health, then I'd definetly recommend it. A decent chunk is focussed on human/animal life, but there's a healthy dose of plant life in there too.

Hmm, now to answer your question. :P If you like the subject, the work will almost do itself tbh, between paying attention in class and whatnot. It's hard to give you an exact amount of time of how long it takes for each subject, since everyone studies differently. However, if you understand everything, particularly physics and chemistry, studying is actually a breeze (that might make it sound a little too easy, but in comparison to other subjects, it is). That's why understanding is important.

Hope that helps, best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I would really, really advise you to think long and hard before limiting yourself by not taking a language. From personal experience, I had my heart set on doing science/medicine in TCD. I was absolutely certain of what I wanted all through secondary school; no doubts in my mind whatsoever. I ended up getting my first choice - Radiation Therapy in Trinity - but it didn't work out for me, and I'm now an accountant! The thing is though, if I hadn't done French for the LC, I could not have gotten into the business course I wanted, nor would I have been offered the job that I have now.

Even after you graduate after college, you may find it difficult to get a job outside of Ireland unless you have a European language (Irish may count as one for matriculation purposes, but it probably won't count as one for many prospective employers!) Even within Ireland, employers will notice the lack of languages on your CV - competition is so high in the jobs market, and variety is key. If you're applying for any job at all, and 95% of candidates have European languages, it doesn't look good for you to be in that other 5%.

You could even consider doing a language at ordinary level in addition to the rest of your subjects, rather than instead of one of them. It shouldn't take too much additional work if you've done French or German or whatever up to Junior Cert level.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :) I did Physics and Chemistry for the Leaving, they are very good ones for picking up marks in if you have an aptitude for them and if you're willing to put in the work, which (by the sounds of it) you are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

fauxshow wrote: »
    Only do this is if you're quite intelligent, a diligent worker and very very good at maths! A lot of people struggle hugely with honours maths, physics and also chemistry in 5th year so just be wary of the fact that it's a HUGE jump from Junior Cert science. pathway33 is also right - a lot of courses require a third language, but you could always just do that at ordinary level. Applied Maths and Honours Maths are supposed to be very time consuming so you'd probably need to do pass in English/Irish or something and just keep the six straight honours... it's all you need really! But like zam said also, if that's what you think would suit you, go for it! It's not impossible at the end of the day. It could work out well or it could be too large a workload! I guess you just need to find someone doing exactly those subjects to get perspective... hopefully there'll be someone on here. I'd try and have a look at some of the textbooks for those subjects and look at exam papers, being informed is the key!

And to answer your question... it would definitely be a LOT of work, there's a lot of understanding involved in applied maths, maths, physics and chemistry so you have to get past the confusion stage, into the understanding stage, learning it off stage, and then applying to the questions stage. That said, the Leaving Cert is hard and requires lots of work if you want to do well, no subject is ''easy'' and at least there'd be crossover with some of them like zam said that might help. If you realistically are willing to study hard for the next two years it would be doable!

Is this not just perpetuating the myth that science and maths are hard? Science and maths are hard for those who find those subjects difficult. Intelligence is not simply about being good at science and maths, to say that would suggest those that have an aptitude for languages, music, art etc are not intelligent. I was good at maths at school and got an honour in Higher Level maths with minimum effort. Another student would have found that difficult. Irish on the other hand I hated.... it doesn't make me any more or less intelligent.

To the OP, if you are interested in science/maths go for it. It's easier to study a subject you enjoy that a subject you don't. You will find a good crossover between maths/physics/applied maths and also between physics and chemistry. Like everyone else here I'd suggest keeping on a language other than Irish because while you have plans for Trinity/UK now, they may change for one reason or another and you may find yourself out in the cold when the college offers come out simply because you didn't keep on French/German etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Cheers for all the feedback! Im planning on doing science, in Trinity or England so all i need is irish since it is know recognised as a european language!

UCD don't require a 3rd language for general science
    How many hours a night am i looking at with these subjects?

What ever you feel is satisfactory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Personally, I think you're really limiting your options by not doing a third language. You could even do the ordinary level paper, just to have it.

However, it's your choice and provided you've done enough research to know you don't need it, then good luck to you!

Is this not just perpetuating the myth that science and maths are hard? Science and maths are hard for those who find those subjects difficult. Intelligence is not simply about being good at science and maths, to say that would suggest those that have an aptitude for languages, music, art etc are not intelligent. I was good at maths at school and got an honour in Higher Level maths with minimum effort. Another student would have found that difficult. Irish on the other hand I hated.... it doesn't make me any more or less intelligent.

To the OP, if you are interested in science/maths go for it. It's easier to study a subject you enjoy that a subject you don't. You will find a good crossover between maths/physics/applied maths and also between physics and chemistry. Like everyone else here I'd suggest keeping on a language other than Irish because while you have plans for Trinity/UK now, they may change for one reason or another and you may find yourself out in the cold when the college offers come out simply because you didn't keep on French/German etc.

I meant ''quite intelligent'' not in terms of the science/maths myth you're talking about, but because taking on four science subjects is an uncommon choice BECAUSE it is difficult. I'm very good at languages and am doing honours Irish, French and Spanish for the LC, but I'm not doing German and Italian also, I'm doing two other subjects that aren't languages because that would just be way too difficult unless I was highly highly committed, even if you find languages interesting and are good at them... that's the closest example I can find to relate to what I was trying to say about taking on maths, applied maths, physics, chemistry and biology. I was just trying to stress to OP that it is a difficult combination that perhaps not the average joe would be able to take on, ability definitely comes into it alongside interest, they do seem like they're capable of it though! :)

Also, maths IS one of the most difficult subject for most people, I won't say everyone, and when you're in TY you definitely don't have a grasp of the jump from JC to LC which is just what I was trying to stress to OP. I know plenty of people who are good at maths and good at languages, and aiming for an A1 in maths for them requires a hell of a lot more work than their A1 in French. A C3 or whatever isn't THAT difficult to get for most people who are interested in a subject and do a bit of work (as you said you experienced with maths yourself) , but if you want an A (and OP specifically stated they were aiming for the high five hundreds!) in maths that will require dedication and time no matter how good they are, and doing applied maths and three sciences on top of that would be a huge commitment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I did it, it was great. Do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

fauxshow wrote: »
    I meant ''quite intelligent'' not in terms of the science/maths myth you're talking about, but because taking on four science subjects is an uncommon choice BECAUSE it is difficult. I'm very good at languages and am doing honours Irish, French and Spanish for the LC, but I'm not doing German and Italian also, I'm doing two other subjects that aren't languages because that would just be way too difficult unless I was highly highly committed, even if you find languages interesting and are good at them... that's the closest example I can find to relate to what I was trying to say about taking on maths, applied maths, physics, chemistry and biology. I was just trying to stress to OP that it is a difficult combination that perhaps not the average joe would be able to take on, ability definitely comes into it alongside interest, they do seem like they're capable of it though! :)

Also, maths IS one of the most difficult subject for most people, I won't say everyone, and when you're in TY you definitely don't have a grasp of the jump from JC to LC which is just what I was trying to stress to OP. I know plenty of people who are good at maths and good at languages, and aiming for an A1 in maths for them requires a hell of a lot more work than their A1 in French. A C3 or whatever isn't THAT difficult to get for most people who are interested in a subject and do a bit of work (as you said you experienced with maths yourself) , but if you want an A (and OP specifically stated they were aiming for the high five hundreds!) in maths that will require dedication and time no matter how good they are, and doing applied maths and three sciences on top of that would be a huge commitment :)

No, four sciences is an uncommon choice because most schools don't offer all four or make a language compulsory or subjects clash and a student can't take all of them at the same time. Or a student takes a language to keep their options open, so that leaves them with only three choices, unless they decide to take 8 subjects. My subjects when I did the LC fitted neatly into two categories. I did English, Irish, French and German and then Maths, Biology and Physics with Chemistry (all higher level). My school didn't offer Phys and Chem separately, Applied Maths or Ag Science.

Doing sciences is no bigger a commitment than doing three business subjects or arts subjects if you are interested, that's really what it comes down to. I always did my homework in roughly the following order: Biology, PhysChem, French, German, English, Irish. My maths teacher never gave homework, but that's a whole other story. It was down to my level of interest. Maths would have come first in the homework stakes.

It's a common enough combination for students to take three sciences with a foreign language (for college entry) for medicine, dentistry, veterinary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well i see people talking about needing a third lanuage for college.... but the thing is your obviously going to be doing a science or engineering course or something similar in college aren't you...

and most colleges don't require a third language for these courses

go for it... if you understand what your doing in these subjects rather than trying to learn it off you'll do really well.. just listen up in class do the homework as and questions to ensure you UNDERSTAND the concepts and you'll do grand

it's great doing maths and sciences because there's no opinion on rightness or wrongness of an answer.. your right or your wrong simple as that

go for it.. and good luck

i also see some people here saying it's easier to get an a1 in french than in maths... that jsut comes down to the person... and for people saying 4 sciences is difficult.. that's because you personally don't like science.. trust me.. if you like science and have an interest in it you'll be glad you picked this option

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    well i see people talking about needing a third lanuage for college.... but the thing is your obviously going to be doing a science or engineering course or something similar in college aren't you...

Don't all the NUI's require at least a pass in OL in a European language for general matriculation requirements to enter into any of the courses in their college, unless obviously you have an exemption because of dyslexia, having lived abroad etc?
    i also see some people here saying it's easier to get an a1 in french than in maths...

I was simply using an example of several people I know who would have great interest and ability in both French and Maths equally, and in all cases Maths always is the bigger workload for them. But other people on this thread never seem to have had this experience, so it is all relative I suppose at the end of the day! There aren't always equalities amongst subject difficulty (and this is something the SEC have stated themselves in regards to students strategically picking subjects with smaller workloads in order to maximise their points)... for example Irish has a much bigger and longer course than French, the fact that you have to sit two papers in the three core subjects really is an indicator that you're going to often have to do more for these subects to get your A1 in them... so not ALL of it comes down to interest or ability. Each to their own though I suppose! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Comrade C

johnmcdnl wrote: »

go for it... if you understand what your doing in these subjects rather than trying to learn it off you'll do really well.. just listen up in class do the homework as and questions to ensure you UNDERSTAND the concepts and you'll do grand

it's great doing maths and sciences because there's no opinion on rightness or wrongness of an answer.. your right or your wrong simple as that

go for it.. and good luck

i also see some people here saying it's easier to get an a1 in french than in maths... that jsut comes down to the person... and for people saying 4 sciences is difficult.. that's because you personally don't like science.. trust me.. if you like science and have an interest in it you'll be glad you picked this option

Thanks very much, its good to have that objective perspective on how difficult you will find subjects you have an aptitude for. Thanks every1 else aswell, but im afraid i share johnmcdnl's opinion when he says that I wont need a third language for science courses! However i still might do ordinary french for leaving cert as i did honours for junior cert and got a C, jst keep it topped up with a few grinds maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you've a flair for maths/sciences then this is a great idea, play to your strengths. Maybe you should do a foreign languages, just in case. However if you want a relatively low points course in a college that doesn't require a 3rd language, then it probably wouldn't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Fair play to you for even considering that! I would have died. I gave up science in 2nd year - best decision of my life. If you like the subjects you'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

stainluss wrote: »
    Yes as we are approaching the LC, Biology and Physics is a joy to have compared to English:)

I heard Chemistry is the hardest, though. Essential if you wanna do Medicine or a Chem-course

Applied Maths and Physics are quite well matched. Make sure you dont need a language or do one outside

I do Chemistry Physics and Biology, and tbh Chemistry and Physics are my favourites. Once you understand the basic concepts in both, they become very easy to understand. Biology is draining as, though it's not hard, there's just soooo much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

as someone else said make sure you don't need a foreign language for college

and good luck, i couldn't imagine doing all science, i don't do any! i'm horrific with sciences. languages and business/history is more my thing

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akanthia

Im going into 5th year next week and have chose to do Biology physics chemistry applied maths french and three core subjects. all honnours too;);) I know its alot of work because my sister did the same in 5th year but once you get over the initial shock, they are way easier to do in 6th year. Its all just a lot of learning so if your a good student it will be fine:P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

gud luck wit that...i only did chemsitry and hl maths but did get in the 500's yday. my experience (and my brothers who did biology) is that d sciences arent much harder than any othr lc subject. Howevr wat makes dem seem dat bit more tricky is dat u hav 2 learn dem thoroughly and in gr8 detail in order to do well. Dey also seem, superficially of course, quite more distant frm evryday life (eg. learning about irish regions in geog is more familiar to us as a form of general knowledge than the IUPAC name for Glycerol in Chemistry lol) so that makes them that bit more demanding. Dont cram eithr wit dem...u need to keep up with dem daily to engrain all those random facts in your head lol. :D U cant just learn them off eithr....u need to UNDERSTAND the stuff aswell...unless u hav a high aptitute for maths and science u shudnt try doin this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

kmhenry, please note that textspeak is unwelcome on this site, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I also did this but I had honours French as well. In hindsight, French was pointless. Yes, it was like a backup but I didn't use it for points and I felt I could've spent that time on other subjects instead and gotten higher points. Unless your first choice requires a third language, don't bother.

Science is a great subject to get points in. I think just by choosing all these subjects, you'll have the aptitude to easily get 500+ points. Of course, don't be lazy and put in the effort. And it's obvious you're probably going for some science related degree in college. You don't need the language in Trinity and if you're aiming for 500+ points, you should get into any of the science courses there. Also, if I recall, some of the science courses in UCD don't require a third language. Forget about the third language. Spend your time on something more worthwhile.

Advertisement