Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing An All Science Leaving Cert

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Comrade C wrote: »
    Hey! Im currently in TY and have chosen to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Applied Maths as well as the 3 Core Subjects, All Honours. How much work would be needed daily to get say, in the 500s, more preferrably high? Im willing to put in work, I was jst wondering if any previous or current leaving cert have some advice?

Not meaning to state the obvious here, but the answer to this is quite simple. It depends on how naturally good at them you are. I didn't do much for Maths and App Maths, yet got an A1, but needed to put insane amounts of work into chemistry to get the same. Some people will get 500+ with a moderate amount of work (doing homework and then 2 hours study per night in the month and a half leading up to the exams, plus cramming in the last few weeks) and others will kill themselves with effort and not get 500. Nobody can tell you exactly how much you should do with anything approaching certainty. What I can say is this: IMO, if you are naturally adept at science subjects, it will require less study to achieve high grades than it would with other courses, such as history and business etc. which are just massive piles of theory, and which always require huge amounts of study to do well at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

fauxshow wrote: »
    Don't all the NUI's require at least a pass in OL in a European language for general matriculation requirements to enter into any of the courses in their college, unless obviously you have an exemption because of dyslexia, having lived abroad etc?

I was simply using an example of several people I know who would have great interest and ability in both French and Maths equally, and in all cases Maths always is the bigger workload for them. But other people on this thread never seem to have had this experience, so it is all relative I suppose at the end of the day! There aren't always equalities amongst subject difficulty (and this is something the SEC have stated themselves in regards to students strategically picking subjects with smaller workloads in order to maximise their points)... for example Irish has a much bigger and longer course than French, the fact that you have to sit two papers in the three core subjects really is an indicator that you're going to often have to do more for these subects to get your A1 in them... so not ALL of it comes down to interest or ability. Each to their own though I suppose! :)

AFAIK colleges don't require the extra lanuage for science courses because well you don't... but don't quote me on that and check it out yourself before deciding not to do it - and if your course does need it just do pass as an extra subject and do a wee bit right before the oral and a bit before the exam and you should get a D in pass which is enough...

as for a lot of people who find maths difficult - these people wouldn't ever consider an all science leaving - that's the difference - the OP's strength and interests lie within science so their obviously strong in this regard...

From my own experience I found higher maths to be grand - nothing too hard - I ended up with a C2 which wasn't great by any means but I could have got a lot better if I'd had a bit more luck on the day... just had a bad day at the blocks but that's going off topic... Got a B1 in physics with minimum effort because I loved the subject and it was dead easy for me...
    as for French I got a D2 - not great was it - my mind couldn't get round it at all and I just had no interest in it whatsoever so I did miserably bad

Maths is hard for people who aren't suited to it - just like French or any other subject would be hard for some students - science is just percieved to be that bit harder because a lot of people like being able to go on a bullsh!ting streak if they see a quesiton their not sure of
    -sciences also aren't subjective so your right your right and I love this about them.. there's none of this relying on getting a corrector who likes your style

you just have to remember that anyone who'd even consider an all science leaving is someone who's mind and apptitude is obviously leaning that way...

just like if someone chose Classics, History and "insert other similar subject" they'd obviously not be the sort of person who'd be likely to enjoy doing science subjects...

or someone who did 2 lanuages and something else

Doing an all Science leaving cert would have been my dream but it wans't on offer to me - because the OP is expressing an interest in it I think it's a great oppurtunity because to have this notion science is the OP's strength..

Intelligence is just associated with the sciences because the average joe tends not to have the same interest in them so not being able to BS through them is a disadvantage to these students so the label of intelligence is stuck onto these subjects... and that's how I view them too - if you like them you'll excel - if you don't you'll fail miserably because you didn't listen in class and didn't understand anything - science doens't let you learn something by heart and ream it off without any understanding so it's labelled "difficult":rolleyes: it isn't really though if you have any interest is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

kmhenry, please note that textspeak is unwelcome on this site, thanks.

yeah I wrote that comment before the first comment you gave me about not using textspeak...thanks for telling me :)

Advertisement