Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off Ireland dead?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Lads, is Rip off Ireland dead, or on 3 knees or what?

Seems to be less and less rip off stories these days!

I'm certainly not complaining though......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Gucky wrote: »

Far from it, like a good wasp it dies slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Rip Off Ireland hasn't even cut it's knee, never mind lost a leg! Example;

Two Firestone tyres for a Golf -
    €97 including balancing and rotation (average price from 3 places).
    Price in 'Tyre Safety Centre', Cookstown, N.Ireland £48.:mad:

8 Gillette Mac 3 razor Blades -
    €18 in Tesco
    £9 in Tesco Northern Ireland. :mad:

Tyres and Razor blades are surely imported in the hundreds of thousands. The tyres were sourced from places in northside dublin suburbs/industrial estates - overheads do not justify the prices.

Im SICK of being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Well, nine times out of ten when someone posts to say "This is a rip-off" they are told "That's not a rip-off, they didn't hold you down, take your wallet and force the product on you so it's not a rip-off" so people have probably stopped bothering to post at all.

Maybe P&G Unilever and the other masters of consumer products in the supermarkets have gotten together to employ a team of detractors who post on the internet saying "that's not a rip-off at all!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheGooseLicker

Hrrrmmm,

It's on the way out that's for sure... Anyone got a new name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

I think People have just become immune to stories of things being cheaper up north etc.

Plus the Táiniste told us it was unpatriotic to be spending money in that part of Ireland so people just stopped telling us about the great bargains they got in Newry. They are still going up there though!!! Compare prices on the websites of Lidl, Argos, Next, Optical Express etc etc etc etc...then you'll realise that Rip off Ireland is roaring like a lion (......as opposed to a celtic tiger)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

With the recession well and truly over and good riddance to it, Rip off Ireland will be back some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheGooseLicker

With the recession well and truly over and good riddance to it, Rip off Ireland will be back some day.

ha not sure about that just yet:eek:

IT NEVER WENT AWAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Rip Off Ireland hasn't even cut it's knee, never mind lost a leg! Example;

Two Firestone tyres for a Golf -
    €97 including balancing and rotation (average price from 3 places).
    Price in 'Tyre Safety Centre', Cookstown, N.Ireland £48.:mad:

8 Gillette Mac 3 razor Blades -
    €18 in Tesco
    £9 in Tesco Northern Ireland. :mad:

Im SICK of being ripped off.

IDShot_90x90.jpg
    Gillette Mach 3 Cartridges 8'S

€14.25 (€1.79/each)
    Tesco

£9.90 in Tesco NI - bit of difference but certainly not the 80% you stated. Now how correct vare the tyre prices. Exact same spec, rating & size compared? - I doubt it.

maybe check out specsavers? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Well, nine times out of ten when someone posts to say "This is a rip-off" they are told "That's not a rip-off, they didn't hold you down, take your wallet and force the product on you so it's not a rip-off" so people have probably stopped bothering to post at all.

Think you have hit the nail on the head there!
    Got attacked in a few posts myself for pointing a few rip offs out!

91011 wrote: »
    [

€14.25 (€1.79/each)
    Tesco

£9.90 in Tesco NI - bit of difference but certainly not the 80% you stated. Now how correct vare the tyre prices. Exact same spec, rating & size compared? - I doubt it.

Where do you get off? I was in Tesco Finglas last week looking for 8 blades and €18 was the shelf price, so my surprise.

Can you tell me how a car would operate with different 'size' tyres? They were the same spec of Firestone that were on my car already.

You definately fall in to the category Gucky describes. Is that you Mary Coughlan? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Text to vote in Eurovision (from Ireland) 60 cent per text/call

Text to vote in Eurovision (from UK) 15 pence per text / call

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Two words...Eircom broadband

/End of Thread

In before the lock!.....plsu ALL mobile phone operators phone purchase costs/price plans!

Anyone wanting a real laugh/chuckle......

Open up o2.co.Uk and o2.ie and compare their price plans.......

Don't anyone dare comeback and tell me that that's completely different o2 ul have a bigger customer base blahdy blahdy blah!

Their O2!!!!!

A huge organisation, who should/could (but are unwilling) to give us Irish much better price plans.
    The highest inclusive minute plan were offered is 600mins.... That's 3 hours folks! Three hours a MONTH??? Don't know about the rest of you, but I be upon mine for 3hrs a DAY! (sales rep)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

The highest inclusive minute plan were offered is 600mins.... That's 3 hours folks!

Last time I checked 600 minutes was 10 hours :confused:

DOH!!!!

Mmmm, I feel quite stupid! What was I thinking lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Not in the UK, it isn't. Even our hours are getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

But comparing things to the UK equivelent isn't "exposing" a rip off!
    It's a different country!
    I could get on a plane tomorrow and buy a house in bulgaria for a 20th of the price they are here..but it's a different country - I don't work there, pay taxes there, pay rates/state levies etc.

Every country that borders another has price differences and it has always been the way. There has always been cross border shopping in the border counties and depending on the currency rates it has sometime worked both ways.

But for the last couple of years since the Euro has strengthened to be almost on parity with Sterling there are always people who will shout about getting ripped off and head up north to buy everything.

I for one am delighted the Euro is weakening against the dollar and sterling. It makes Ireland more competitive as a base for investment, for exports, for manufacturing.

I still expect the small minded amongst us to be moaning that the trolley full of drink they bought in Newry is working out more expensive because of the exchange rate though:D

• Advertisement

But comparing things to the UK equivelent isn't "exposing" a rip off!
    It's a different country!

True, but if someone were to point out that a product costs €14.95 in Irish stores and £5.99 in the English branches of that store the next 12 posts are all people pointing out that "It's a different country", "you have to take into account the difference in pay rates/state levies etc" "well go there then :rolleyes:" and so on. The difference in operating costs is 6%, so it doesn't work as a blanket excuse for anytime there is a very large difference in price between Ireland and the UK.

The difference in operating costs is 6%, so it doesn't work as a blanket excuse for anytime there is a very large difference in price between Ireland and the UK.

:eek:
    The difference in purchasing costs may be 6% without taking currency into account but operating costs are far higher here than in the UK..and that is what is making the country uncompetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There were various times of the year that SuperValu seemed to have across-the-board price increases, and I see that hasn't changed, so I think Rip-off Ireland is alive and kicking.

:eek:
    The difference in purchasing costs may be 6% without taking currency into account but operating costs are far higher here than in the UK..and that is what is making the country uncompetitive.

No, a study by Forfas, the national advisory body for enterprise and science, revealed that "higher operating costs in Ireland add approximately 5-6 percent to the total cost base of retailers in Dublin versus those operating in Belfast."

No, a study by Forfas, the national advisory body for enterprise and science, revealed that "higher operating costs in Ireland add approximately 5-6 percent to the total cost base of retailers in Dublin versus those operating in Belfast."

Nobody working in the retail/service/hospitality sector believed a word of that study when it was released.
    It was commissioned by Mary "calamity" Coughlan so she could try and convince retailers that all was fine even though shops were closing down all round due to cross border shopping and increasing overheads.

Almost every shop on Grafton St (that is still open) at the moment is losing money - the majority of shops are considered loss leaders for their brand - ie having a market presence in the most prestigious shopping address to increase brand awareness - not to make a profit.

I used to work for a store that turned over about 2.5m per annum - its actual profit was zero. It was -40K in the red after rent, rates, council taxes, warehousing & transport, payroll and other sundries. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

91011 wrote: »
    IDShot_90x90.jpg
    Gillette Mach 3 Cartridges 8'S

€14.25 (€1.79/each)
    Tesco

The 5s were €13.50 last night in tesco. I ended up buying a new razor just for two blades as it was half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe they have copped on it is helping nobody. Bargain alerts is a popular forum, the posts that get those comments you mention are "expensive alerts". Who benefits from being told a mars bar is €1.50? only an utter idiot would pay it. You are correct about 9/10 posts are "expensive alerts" and the true ripoffs were getting lost in all the crap, it is sad as I expect many people have just turned away from these nonsense posts. If you want to be a fool and pay over the odds for stuff I am sure you can still manage it.
    Nobody working in the retail/service/hospitality sector believed a word of that study when it was released.
    I don't think many actually read the study, but rather foolishly believed the media.
    "higher operating costs in Ireland add approximately 5-6 percent to the total cost base of retailers in Dublin versus those operating in Belfast."
    Both the irish times and rte inferred that customers should expect to only pay 5-6% more at the till. While the report said nothing of the sort, its a disgrace that these "journalists" can hold down a job, esp. with licence fee paying these ignorant illiterate morons.

So people who fell for this crap blame the shopkeepers, when in fact the manufacturers wholesale price and be massively different.
    Boxes of Pampers nappies that are being sold at €25 to Irish retailers are available for €10 in Britain. The Sunday Business Post sourced cases of Coca-Cola that typically sell for €9 in Ireland for €5.60 (»5) in Britain...

‘‘The recent Forfás report on retail costs outlined that 75 to 80 per cent of cost is the cost of supply, while 20 to 25 per cent is operating costs, including labour and Vat. Yet our government and industry commentators have spent their time analysing the operating cost bill and neglected to notice the elephant in the room: the excessive cost of supply.
    http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS+FEATURES-qqqm=nav-qqqid=39196-qqqx=1.asp

You will see the likes of tesco sell Irish coke in supermarkets. Some manufacturers will have control over shops.

If people wish to look at a study and say "Pah, So? I don't believe it!" then I have nothing more to say really, you've made up your own, eh, minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Priced brake pads for the bicycle. One bike sho shop was €6 the next €12. Go into any Spar and price stuff compared to say Tesco. Things like biscuits can be €1.50 in Tesco and €4 in Spar.

Rip off Ireland is still there. Maybe people just aren't buying much these days though to notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

rubadub wrote: »
    Maybe they have copped on it is helping nobody. Bargain alerts is a popular forum, the posts that get those comments you mention are "expensive alerts". Who benefits from being told a mars bar is €1.50? only an utter idiot would pay it. You are correct about 9/10 posts are "expensive alerts" and the true ripoffs were getting lost in all the crap, it is sad as I expect many people have just turned away from these nonsense posts. If you want to be a fool and pay over the odds for stuff I am sure you can still manage it.

I don't think many actually read the study, but rather foolishly believed the media.

Both the irish times and rte inferred that customers should expect to only pay 5-6% more at the till. While the report said nothing of the sort, its a disgrace that these "journalists" can hold down a job, esp. with licence fee paying these ignorant illiterate morons.

So people who fell for this crap blame the shopkeepers, when in fact the manufacturers wholesale price and be massively different.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS+FEATURES-qqqm=nav-qqqid=39196-qqqx=1.asp

You will see the likes of tesco sell Irish coke in supermarkets. Some manufacturers will have control over shops.

its like this in every part of Irish industry .... the wholesaler wants to make a bit extra in Ireland - as he/she is possibly an exclusive UK&Ireland distributor...... then everyone else below the wholesaler increases their costs (and adds on a bit to maximise profit) .... by the time it reaches the shelves......its completely overpriced !!!

only way to stop it... is to purchase the cheapest possible brand and in time the more expensive ones will disappear ...or lower their prices.

Advertisement