Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off Ireland dead?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If people wish to look at a study and say "Pah, So? I don't believe it!"
    I did read most of it, and did believe all I read, there was nothing very shocking in it. I am not sure what it really set out to prove TBH.

As I said RTE & the Irish Times wrongly interpreted it to conclude goods should cost 5-6% more at the till. This is what I do not believe -lying sensationalist scumbag journalists. The study never implied this in any way.
    then I have nothing more to say really, you've made up your own, eh, minds
    Seems some people let the lying press make up their minds. They should really bother to read the actual report.
    only way to stop it... is to purchase the cheapest possible brand and in time the more expensive ones will disappear
    Or buy from other markets, or retailers who source elsewhere. Many people do resort to buying lots of stuff online. Some smaller retailers can also get away with grey area imports, like chippers selling coke sourced from the UK or elsewhere. Supervalue sometimes source heineken intended for the scottish market, it is brewed in holland and 5% yet sells cheaper than the 4.3% here, also brewed in holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Seems some people let the lying press make up their minds. They should really bother to read the actual report.

Yeah, it's everyone else who's wrong, and you who's right.

Yeah, it's everyone else who's wrong, and you who's right.
    Everybody is wrong?:confused: Many saw the real facts in the report and understood them, like the people in the sunday business post, and the retailers in that article. Did you actually read the report yourself?

You seem to be inferring I am wrong about something? what is this? I already told you I read the report and believed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

rubadub wrote: »
    Everybody is wrong?:confused: Many saw the real facts in the report and understood them, like the people in the sunday business post, and the retailers in that article. Did you actually read the report yourself?

You seem to be inferring I am wrong about something? what is this? I already told you I read the report and believed it.

I'm done arguing.

You're right, everyone who disagrees with you is wrong.

Feel better now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm done arguing.

You're right, everyone who disagrees with you is wrong.

Feel better now?

If you are worked or are associated with the retail industry you would know that what you were inferring was untrue.
    In fact most civic minded individuals who give a damn about the economics in this country would know it was untrue.

• Advertisement

I'm done arguing
    Good, you weren't even arguing, you were just being pathetically childish.

For anybody else interested the report is here
    http://www.forfas.ie/publications/2008/title,2623,en.php

It says
    The purpose of this study was to examine the composition of retail business costs in Ireland and to determine how their cost base compares with retailers in other countries. While operating costs are on average 25 percent higher in Dublin than in Belfast, they account for a relatively small share of
    total costs (circa 20-25%).Our analysis highlights that higher operating costs in Ireland add approximately 5-6 percent to the total cost base of retailers in Dublin versus those operating in Belfast
    Which I believe could well be true. It in no way infers the cost to the customer should only be 5-6% higher at the till. This is what I believe the Irish Times inferred when they said
    Forfás’s study, which was published today, shows that while operating costs for retailers in Dublin were on average 25 per cent higher than in Belfast, such costs accounted for only 20 to 25 per cent of the total cost of a retail good, meaning that the price differential between goods should only be 5 to 6 per cent higher in the capital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

91011 wrote: »
    IDShot_90x90.jpg
    Gillette Mach 3 Cartridges 8'S

€14.25 (€1.79/each)
    Tesco

£9.90 in Tesco NI - bit of difference but certainly not the 80% you stated. Now how correct vare the tyre prices. Exact same spec, rating & size compared? - I doubt it.

maybe check out specsavers? ;)

Now specsavers are much more here than the north too:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

PCPhoto wrote: »
    its like this in every part of Irish industry .... the wholesaler wants to make a bit extra in Ireland - as he/she is possibly an exclusive UK&Ireland distributor...... then everyone else below the wholesaler increases their costs (and adds on a bit to maximise profit) .... by the time it reaches the shelves......its completely overpriced !!!

only way to stop it... is to purchase the cheapest possible brand and in time the more expensive ones will disappear ...or lower their prices.

Possibly connected, possibly not,. Half an hour ago, I got an email, of a solicitors letter, sent to a symbol headoffice, stating some stores were selling imported XXX products which were not XXX Ireland products. The letter points out they hold the trademark so we are to stop.

I assume it is down to people thinking a XXX product came from XXX Ireland when in fact it came from someone in the UK.

I am unsure what product caused this but I do know I can buy the product in the UK and sell them here, cheaper than I can buy them here.....

Possibly connected, possibly not,. Half an hour ago, I got an email, of a solicitors letter, sent to a symbol headoffice, stating some stores were selling imported XXX products which were not XXX Ireland products. The letter points out they hold the trademark so we are to stop.

I assume it is down to people thinking a XXX product came from XXX Ireland when in fact it came from someone in the UK.

I am unsure what product caused this but I do know I can buy the product in the UK and sell them here, cheaper than I can buy them here.....

Let me guess TUC crackers

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Let me guess TUC crackers

No, not at all. think big, irish, and north city.

Better not say any more, but then, as we got a letter, perhaps if it was posted then everyone could make up their own minds. mmmmmm I must look into that. Then it would be open to everyones own personal interpretation.

I can see a lock coming so I better not say to much. I like being married, I dont want to be a male single person ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

My guess is its Jacobs Crackers or other similar named Jacobs products made by Jacobs of Liverpool - its not a secret. They took legal action against stores last year.

There's a long standing agreement that Jacobs UK will not sell into Ireland and Jacobs Irealnd won't sell into UK. (if you lived in UK and bought Mikado, it was branded Bolands)

If however you sell McVities crackers and are buying them from a UK supplier, this cannot be stopped as the product is the same and made by the same company.

My guess is its Jacobs Crackers or other similar named Jacobs products made by Jacobs of Liverpool - its not a secret. They took legal action against stores last year.

There's a long standing agreement that Jacobs UK will not sell into Ireland and Jacobs Irealnd won't sell into UK. (if you lived in UK and bought Mikado, it was branded Bolands)

If however you sell McVities crackers and are buying them from a UK supplier, this cannot be stopped as the product is the same and made by the same company.

a male single person :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Cliff Richard?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

tee hee, oh, I love my peas and beans, that's shocking!

whoops - just realised the insinuation.

But similar to Jacobs, afaik Bachelors Ireland is a different company to bachelors UK and as such they can prevent bachelors uk goods being sold in their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Gucky wrote: »
    Lads, is Rip off Ireland dead, or on 3 knees or what?

Seems to be less and less rip off stories these days!

I'm certainly not complaining though......

No chance but stupid old Irish stand by and take it on the chin like everything else!

whoops - just realised the insinuation.

But similar to Jacobs, afaik Bachelors Ireland is a different company to bachelors UK and as such they can prevent bachelors uk goods being sold in their market.

In Ireland, Supernoodles - the ones everyone knows - cost me 96 cent per pack.

In ASDA in Liverpool, I buy 4 for a pound !. I brought them back here and stuck them on the shelf at a 99c each (go on, accuse me of ripping people off - but the ferry cost €200). People bought loads of them. Now I have removed them from sale and will be eating noodles for the next six months :D

The irish product is branded McDonnells, the UK one is branded Bachelors. I dont know if there is any connection between the two companies and I dont even know if the letter was concerning my store, but I have complied. Sitting next to each other, you wouldnt really know the difference between the packaging.:(

The only loser here is the customer who is facing a substantial increase in my (and maybe other) stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

People put the prices at what people will pay.

was in a new bar in athy today - €6.35 for guinness + glass of wine - thought it was an error, but no it was correct.

seems more and more pubs are giving value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

francie81 wrote: »
    No chance but stupid old Irish stand by and take it on the chin like everything else!

There's also a good few people who shop around, or simply just don't pay the stupid prices

• Advertisement

was in a new bar in athy today - €6.35 for guinness + glass of wine - thought it was an error, but no it was correct.

Now that is cheap:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

At last were falling slightly into line with northern prices!
    Value for money, some pubs have FINALLY caught themselves on a bit!
    I know a few folk who work in pubs In Dublin, and they tell me that they are well able to reduce pint prices, and soft dink prices (paid 5.60 for a large 7up last week) but just simply refuse to do so cos folk are paying the prices!

I know a few folk who work in pubs In Dublin, and they tell me that they are well able to reduce pint prices, and soft dink prices (paid 5.60 for a large 7up last week) but just simply refuse to do so cos folk are paying the prices!

We are all mugs, in england in january I paid £5.65 for a round of 3 pints.

Here it is at least 5 euros for one pint. I don't think we get 3 times the wage here do you, all those pubs deserve to go under...

I know where I will be during the world cup, supping my 1 euro bottle of carlsberg with me mates in the house not in those bleeding crooks pub owners, the twatty tits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

But are they? The city centre has seen a massive reduction in visitors from abroad. I can only guess (but I reckon it's an educated guess) that this has been exacerbated by our prices. Dublin needs to wise up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Quoted € 412 for new car part in Main Dealer garage Wexford

Bought the identical part in Belfast for € 255 delivered by post .

Saved € 157

We are all mugs, in england in january I paid £5.65 for a round of 3 pints.

Here it is at least 5 euros for one pint. I don't think we get 3 times the wage here do you, all those pubs deserve to go under...

The usual "compare cheapest possible with most expensive" trick.

Here's another comparison - Kings Head, Earls court, boring dirty standard english pub with zero service and personality. £10.20 for pint of bitter & glass of wine.

Question - Where in England did you get 3 pints for £5.65. 3 pints of what? and was it a happy hour price?

"Here it is at least 5 euros for a pint" - Outside the music & late licence bars, I don't think anyone charges over €5. Certainly in virtually every town in Ireland the guiness is on average €3.80 or less & Lager €4. - And there are plenty charging WAY under that.

Quoted € 412 for new car part in Main Dealer garage Wexford

Bought the identical part in Belfast for € 255 delivered by post .

Saved € 157

In a Belfast main dealer? Or a breaker?
    Identical branded part or spurious copy?
    Was the garage in Wexford going to fit the part and include labour?

The usual "compare cheapest possible with most expensive" trick.

Here's another comparison - Kings Head, Earls court, boring dirty standard english pub with zero service and personality. £10.20 for pint of bitter & glass of wine.

Question - Where in England did you get 3 pints for £5.65. 3 pints of what? and was it a happy hour price?

"Here it is at least 5 euros for a pint" - Outside the music & late licence bars, I don't think anyone charges over €5. Certainly in virtually every town in Ireland the guiness is on average €3.80 or less & Lager €4. - And there are plenty charging WAY under that.

4 euros for lager, where are you drinking. I was in leitrim last week and it was 15 euros for 3 pints of lager and that was a bog standard boring pub.

In uk, generally London (highest wages)is far more expensive than rest of the country but in Ireland the prices are mostly the same even right out in the sticks where rent/wages are lower.
    It is a rip off through and through.

The 3 pints for £5.65 were in cornwall which is out in the sticks, so lower rent etc.
    Why then in Ireland are the prices mostly the same everywhere.
    It stinks of price fixing imho.
    They need to get real or go under.

Obviously you have no idea of cost prices & overheads. I don't know of many pubs that are making any sort of profit whatsoever.

Th cost price of a pint of guinness is currenty €1.56 + vat for most pubs. The retail price is €3.75 for most pubs (€3.09 + vat)

Now add up the following

Opening hours from 4pm to midnight, 7 days a week.
    Heating costs
    Lighting costs
    Water charges (in the thousands for any sort of pub)
    Rent
    Commercial rates
    Staff. (pub staff rates ARE almost twice the UK rates)

Apply that to a standard everyday town / village pub and check how many customers they have on monday / tues / wed & thur?

Add also to the fact that hundreds of pubs have closed over the past couple of years (if the business was as profitable as you claim, surely there would be hundreds opening not closing???)

• Advertisement

In uk, generally London (highest wages)is far more expensive than rest of the country but in Ireland the prices are mostly the same even right out in the sticks where rent/wages are lower.
    It is a rip off through and through.

Ehh, the minimum wage has to be adhered to countrywide in case you didn't know? Also premiums for unsociable working hours/Sunday etc.

We have the highest minimum wage in the EU except for Luxembourg so maybe if everyone was prepared to take a wage cut then overheads might be lowered and your pint might be something in the region of €3.50.

You can't have it every which way.

Advertisement