Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off Ireland dead?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

K-9 wrote: »
    Prices definitely have reduced here. With exchange rates, wages etc, it is unrealistic to expect parity or even near it. A 20% difference would be keen now.

While prices have been reduced, they are nothing to cheer about because they are still relatively high in the 26 counties.

A 20% difference would mean that people from Donegal will continue to shop in Asda Strabane due to the close proximity. Maybe less than previous, but still many people going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

g32 wrote: »
    Then you can mind your own business so then.

No no, that is you. Retail prices in this country are high, and giving the excuse like 'it costs more to operate here' is no longer applicable considering all the overhead reductions I previously mentioned. This despite the fact that you refuse to accept that.

You mean by a few cents?

I always shop around because I believe in value for money. The difference is barely decreasing as prices have now started to rise again here in the 26 counties.

Thanks for confirming your vested interests.

I don't know of areas that have reduced rates. Maybe it has happened but I'd say they are the exception, rather than the rule. Electricity has gone up, it is one of the reasons that the rate of deflation is lessening. It may have been reduced lately, but not back to the original levels. Rents depend on the leaseholder. VAT was reduced, but only back to the original level and loads of food items have no VAT anyway.

Another factor would be the carbon duty. Distribution costs filter down as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

While prices have been reduced, they are nothing to cheer about because they are still relatively high in the 26 counties.

A 20% difference would mean that people from Donegal will continue to shop in Asda Strabane due to the close proximity. Maybe less than previous, but still many people going there.

Indeed. There isn't much retailers can do about that.

The cost of shopping in the North will be more expensive now. The reverse of that of course is, imports cost more for retailers here. The likes of nappies and baby food.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Then you can mind your own business so then.

No no, that is you. Retail prices in this country are high, and giving the excuse like 'it costs more to operate here' is no longer applicable considering all the overhead reductions I previously mentioned. This despite the fact that you refuse to accept that.

Your replies are becoming more petulent as you run out of excuses. I can post where I like, this is a public forum and while it's obvious you don't agree with my views there is no need for your rudeness.

However you want to spin it, it DOES cost more to operate here. You may have read one newspaper article that said rents were reduced so you choose to believe that across the board it costs less to run a business. You really haven't got a clue.

You would'nt get far in running a business as you have absolutely no idea of what it takes in start up, working capital and running costs.

Good luck to you with your blinkered views on this topic and your bitter sentiment towards your fellow Irish workers. You'll need it.

I don't know of areas that have reduced rates. Maybe it has happened but I'd say they are the exception, rather than the rule. Electricity has gone up, it is one of the reasons that the rate of deflation is lessening. It may have been reduced lately, but not back to the original levels. Rents depend on the leaseholder. VAT was reduced, but only back to the original level and loads of food items have no VAT anyway.

Another factor would be the carbon duty. Distribution costs filter down as well.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2009/12/30/3993777-two-per-cent-decrease-in-business-rates-in-roscommon/

What about Bord Gais? They happen to be cheaper than the ESB. If loads of food items have no VAT, that should mean cheaper prices, but we are barely seeing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I have seen relatively little evidence of an end to irelands rip of republic. There have been some price drops but more often than not you will see 'added value' offers such as buy three for a tenner. Retailers havent reduced prices greatly they are though giving you slightly more for your buck. Id rather see price cuts, across the board because i might not want to buy 3 for a tenner. Doctors and dentists are still gouging people. I havent seen the price of public transport fall in accordance with a drop in peoples' disposable income. Then again you would be hard pressed to think there was a recession on if you were in dublin city over the weekend, pubs were jammed both friday and saturday, so no wonder the price of a pint hasnt fallen (I paid between 5 euro and 5.50, only had 2 drinks as a result). The single best thing to happen top the grocery retail sector in the last thirty years is Aldi / Lidl, they have destroyed the duopoly that was Tescos and Dunnes and shamed them into lowering prices on many items. Insurance costs are going in the wrong direction which makes me ask the question, why cant we buy car or home insurance from companies in other european countries, it is supposed to be the common market after all. The continuance of rip off ireland is in the end down to the consumer, as long as we are willing to bend over and take it, the retailers will continue to charge what we are blindly willing to pay.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2009/12/30/3993777-two-per-cent-decrease-in-business-rates-in-roscommon/

What about Bord Gais? They happen to be cheaper than the ESB. If loads of food items have no VAT, that should mean cheaper prices, but we are barely seeing that.

Or Airtricity! Indeed.

Food price increases, that would be down to the carbon duty I'm sure and other things.

When you see petrol prices rising, do you think retailers are immune from this?

Your replies are becoming more petulent as you run out of excuses. I can post where I like, this is a public forum and while it's obvious you don't agree with my views there is no need for your rudeness.

I think that feeling would be mutual.

I only gave you a response. It is not my fault you did not like what I had to say.
    However you want to spin it, it DOES cost more to operate here. You may have read one newspaper article that said rents were reduced so you choose to believe that across the board it costs less to run a business. You really haven't got a clue.

You put words in my mouth. I never said rent costs less right across the board. It is up to the retailer to find wherever it is cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Difference in business electricity rate is about 4% between main supliers.

g32 - you seem to be afraid to respond to my posts - why??? - Probably because it has thown your rubbish into the wtaer.

I PROVED that there are higher business costs here - all figures verifiable.

I showed where using your mentality NI fuel retailers are "ripping off" NI motorists even though tis down to different taxation issues.

Its a long long time since I saw a real rip-off mentioned on these boards such as somone charging an outrageous price that cannot be explained by normal tax / cost differences. - e.g. if jow bloggs, supermarket was selling 1kg of sugar for £1 in NI as his standard price, & Jim Bloggs supermarket was selling the same product for €2 in south, then you need to ask whats going on as there is no vat in either juristiction on sugar and it is essentially the same product no matter what brand is on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

91011 wrote: »
    5 star hotel, 5 star surroundings, 5 star service, 5 star prices too - worldwide

Spirit level NI 25ml
    Spirit measure southern Ireland 37.5ml

NI only has 2 five star hotels if I remember correctly - so was it the belfast hilton or culloden estate & spa that you were in?

In Donegal, it was either Lough Eske or Harveys point - both stunningly good properties with ultimate luxury surroundings - the big leather chairs in Lough eske don't come cheap!

Also if it was lough eske the house wine is €28 and at harvey's Point it is €23. - And five star house wines too judging by reviews.

Not looking an argument (I'm far too tired now lol)
    HOWEVER........

As Far as I'm aware
    The Norths measurements are the same as the souths (possibly 35ml in North)
    I know for sure than when my Scottish pals, or English relations came to visit us, (In the North) they would always comment on how we had a bigger vodka/whiskey measurement than they had in the UK.

Also, as I didnt move to the south until I was 27 years old I have my fair share of measurements from the pubs over the years.

Tried googling to back this up, but could only find the UK and Ireland (no mention of the North) but I am 99.99999% positive on it!

• Advertisement

heybaby wrote: »
    There have been some price drops but more often than not you will see 'added value' offers such as buy three for a tenner.

Tesco Ireland have a crumby offer; apparently 3 two Litre bottles of Coca Cola for the price of two. In my local Tesco, this works out at:

EUR 2.20 each

x 2 bottles = EUR 4.40

Compare this to Asda where it is 3 for £3 (EUR 3.61): http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923747

You put words in my mouth. I never said rent costs less right across the board. It is up to the retailer to find wherever it is cheaper.

I said you may have read one article. You have yet to prove that there is an across the board reduction in operational costs for businesses.
    You made a statement and refused to back it up.

Tesco Ireland have a crumby offer; apparently 3 two Litre bottles of Coca Cola for the price of two. In my local Tesco, this works out at:

EUR 2.20 each

x 2 bottles = EUR 4.40

Compare this to Asda where it is 3 for £3 (EUR 3.61): http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923747

Your Tesco pricing is incorrect.
    Tesco online show that the 3 for 2 Coca Cola is €1.99 so that makes 3 for €3.98 v €3.61 (asda)
    Is it really worth the fuel??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mondan

5 star hotel, 5 star surroundings, 5 star service, 5 star prices too - worldwide

Spirit measure southern Ireland 37.5ml
    Spirit level NI 25ml

NI only has 2 five star hotels if I remember correctly - so was it the belfast hilton or culloden estate & spa that you were in?

In Donegal, it was either Lough Eske or Harveys point - both stunningly good properties with ultimate luxury surroundings - the big leather chairs in Lough eske don't come cheap!

Also if it was lough eske the house wine is €28 and at harvey's Point it is €23. - And five star house wines too judging by reviews.

just back from a fab weekend in lough eske in donegal,one off the best hotels i was ever in staff could not do enough for you a bit on the dear side ok, but for a 5 star nothing over the top house wine is only 28 not 38 we had dinner in resturant one night and in the bar the second night great value in the bar.vodka and 7up was 7 something nowhere near 9 euro and the guinness was under a fiver.would go back again no major rip off there:)

mondan wrote: »
    just back from a fab weekend in lough eske in donegal,one off the best hotels i was ever in staff could not do enough for you a bit on the dear side ok, but for a 5 star nothing over the top house wine is only 28 not 38 we had dinner in resturant one night and in the bar the second night great value in the bar.vodka and 7up was 7 something nowhere near 9 euro and the guinness was under a fiver.would go back again no major rip off there:)

Good lad mondan!

I see this is your first post? Welcome to the 'pro' Rip off Ireland forum.

Not that I'm suspicious or anything.........

;););)

EUR 2.20 each

x 2 bottles = EUR 4.40

Yet another false post by g32

Lets look at the reality of this bottom dredging post.

Asda - 3 for £3. Taking a real exchange rate of 1.227 (yesterdays online buy rate from Ulster Bank and not mid market rates that cannot be got by anyone whatsoever) £3 = €3.68

Lets look at Tesco's deal.
    Prices for 2ltr coke is €1.99 3 for 2 = 3.98 deduct vat difference between the 2 juristictions and tesco Irealnd price is €3.84 based on same vat rate in UK.

The difference on a temporary special offer is a whopping :rolleyes: 16c - of course, if you dropped up to asda next week, the offer may be gone - similarly tesco's offer may be gone too! Then Asda's price will be £1.66 (€2.04) and Tesco's price will be €1.99 - you must remember to accuse Asda of ripping people off at that time:)

That 16c will get you about 1km worth of fuel for the average car.

Yet another false post by g32

Lets look at the reality of this bottom dredging post.

Asda - 3 for £3. Taking a real exchange rate of 1.227 (yesterdays online buy rate from Ulster Bank and not mid market rates that cannot be got by anyone whatsoever) £3 = €3.68

Lets look at Tesco's deal.
    Prices for 2ltr coke is €1.99 3 for 2 = 3.98 deduct vat difference between the 2 juristictions and tesco Irealnd price is €3.84 based on same vat rate in UK.

The difference on a temporary special offer is a whopping :rolleyes: 16c - of course, if you dropped up to asda next week, the offer may be gone - similarly tesco's offer may be gone too! Then Asda's price will be £1.66 (€2.04) and Tesco's price will be €1.99 - you must remember to accuse Asda of ripping people off at that time:)

That 16c will get you about 1km worth of fuel for the average car.

Fair enough lads.

Defend this though.....

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Beansprouts 335G €1.99
    Tesco UK, Tesco Beansprouts 335g £0.50p :eek::eek::eek:

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Rocket Salad 100G €1.98
    Tesco UK, Tesco Rocket Salad 100G £1

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Thin And Crispy Oven 1.81Kg €1.89
    Tesco UK, Tesco Thin And Crispy Oven 1.81Kg £1

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Value Cheese & Tomato Pizza 150g €1.09
    Tesco UK, Tesco Value Cheese & Tomato Pizza 150g £0.48p :eek::eek::eek:

Thats just a very brief example lads.
    Im gonna enjoy your defence of this......................

Tesco SHAFT the Irish man! Not on EVERYTHING, but on a LOT of stuff.
    TBH I'm still in shock at the beansprouts 50pence versus our two euro like WTF?

Is their vat on beansprouts or what?

Oh, and btw NONE of the items from Tesco UK are on special offer before you ask. Seems everyday normal pricing by tesco UK

Gucky wrote: »
    Fair enough lads.

Defend this though.....

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Beansprouts 335G €1.99
    Tesco UK, Tesco Beansprouts 335g £0.50p :eek::eek::eek:

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Rocket Salad 100G €1.98
    Tesco UK, Tesco Rocket Salad 100G £1

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Thin And Crispy Oven 1.81Kg €1.89
    Tesco UK, Tesco Thin And Crispy Oven 1.81Kg £1

Tesco Ireland, Tesco Value Cheese & Tomato Pizza 150g €1.09
    Tesco UK, Tesco Value Cheese & Tomato Pizza 150g £0.48p :eek::eek::eek:

Thats just a very brief example lads.
    Im gonna enjoy your defence of this......................

Check your sizes!!!!

Value cheese & tomato pizza Tesco Ireland €1.20 480g
    Value cheese & tomato pizza Tesco UK £1.00 480g

Tesco UK does do a 150g pizza for 48p but this is not on tesco Ireland site.

Again - the UK rocket salad is a 60g bag for 80p, the Irish bag is 100g.

Oven chips - yes you're correct. But it is a UK produced product, so something has to be allowed for frozen transportation.

Beansprouts - I give you that. I anomaly.

Do a shop with about 150 standard everyday items and compare the overall cost - you'll find eff all difference. If there was a big difference I'd take advantage of it as I drive through NI about every 3 weeks or so, but couldn't be arsed stopping to shop as it simply is not worth the hassle for a coupe fo euor savings. And as cross border shopping has plumeted in Newry & Enniskillen (respective chamber of commerce statements) the ordinary person knows the saving are no longer there too.

Personally I dislike tesco, I far prefer shopping in my local supervalu where I can get in and out in 20minutes, get good value and always have the fresest food.

edit - I decided to waste 20 minutes and brought up tesco uk & tesco Ire on 2 screens in front of me. Keyed in various standard items - sauces, beans, bread, frozen veg, canned soups, minerals and franky there was very little difference between item Some Tesco Ireland items were cheaper, some equivalent Irish brands were cheaper the their uk counterparts, some items were a little more expensive. Colmans mustard 59p v 79c. But it was pennies either way.

I'm sure if a Iwated a couple of hours I'd find 20 items substabtially cheaper in Ireland and the same in Tesco UK.

At the end of the day - over the past 18 months Ireland has had general DEflation of almost 8% and the UK has had INflation of over 7%. So lets get our rose tinted glasses off and realise the overall prices in the north are NOT that much different than prices in the south - except for diesel which is 23% more expensive in the north!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The gap between here and the North is going to close a bit more, as the UK is increasing VAT to 20% from next January. That's going to piss off 60+ million people, big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The gap between here and the North is going to close a bit more, as the UK is increasing VAT to 20% from next January. That's going to piss off 60+ million people, big time.

Now they'll know how we feel! :rolleyes:

ejmaztec wrote: »

That is some increase considering it was 15% albeit temporarily. Surely that would add to inflation figures as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That is some increase considering it was 15% albeit temporarily. Surely that would add to inflation figures as well?

They might be shooting themselves in the feet with that, and it's going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

I hope it doesn't give our glorious leader any ideas.:eek:

Sheesh! 10000 posts! I really must get a life.:(

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Now they'll know how we feel! :rolleyes:

Not really. Have you read about the UK budget? Alcohol and Tobacco VAT rates will remain unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Not really. Have you read about the UK budget? Alcohol and Tobacco VAT rates will remain unchanged.

Alcohol and tobacco DUTY will remain unchanged, but they will be subject to the VAT increase, same as everything else VAT-able.

g32 - you really need to start listening properly & reading properly. YET AGAIN you are getting it wrong. (i'll be the first to congratulate you when you post a 100% correct post)

the DUTY rates on alcohol, tobacco & fuel will not increase. The VAT rate on all items currently at 17.5% will rise to 20% next January - this INCLUDES ALL alcohol, tobacco & fuel.

The reason why duty was not raised was because it was raised last March and currently the saving based on regular price of standard bottle of smirnoff vodka in NI against southern Ireland is less than €2.

Same with wine - savings on standard prices are neglible for the hassle. Taking standard pricing for a bottle of Torres Vina sol - uk £6.99, Ireland €8.99. - Difference of about 40c. (special offer in Molloys off licences at €6.79)

When the extra 2.5% vat is added, the difference will by tiny, and then a strengthening sterling will mean prices in the south may well end up cheaper than the north.

Special offers on both sides can change things, but lets not compare a sopecial offer in a huge supermarket with the local corner shop and special offers are usually only valid for a week or so.

edit - don't forget that the increased vat will mean diesel will be almost 30% more expensive north of the border & petrol 17% more expensive. - that's an extra €20 on a standard 50litre fill of diesel. - Rip Off NI methinks!

Alcohol and tobacco DUTY will remain unchanged, but they will be subject to the VAT increase, same as everything else VAT-able.

Duty and VAT are not the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

a tarriff (duty) can be placed on some items by the government eg on fuel/alcohol/tabacco, this duty does not apply to all consumer items, Vat applies to most but not all consumer items, they are different.

Feckin Robbin Northies!
    :D

• Advertisement

Duty and VAT are not the same?

LOL.

Advertisement