Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off Ireland dead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

91011 wrote: »
    ...... currently the saving based on regular price of standard bottle of smirnoff vodka in NI against southern Ireland is less than €2.

WOW! Where is this place that sells a bottle of Smirnoff for just over €15?

Edited Euro price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

davo10 wrote: »
    a tarriff (duty) can be placed on some items by the government eg on fuel/alcohol/tabacco, this duty does not apply to all consumer items, Vat applies to most but not all consumer items, they are different.

From my understanding, duty in UK was the same as vat. Vat goes up from 17.5% to 20%, but duty remains unchanged?

kleefarr wrote: »
    WOW! Where is this place that sells a bottle of Smirnoff for just over €13?

Asda Enniskillen / Asda Strabane:

70 cl Smirnoff Vodka bottle for GBP12.97 (EUR 15.66):

Go to 'spirits and liquers' at the top right hand side of page:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923747

g32 wrote: »
    Asda Enniskillen / Asda Strabane:

70 cl Smirnoff Vodka bottle for GBP12.97 (EUR 15.66):

Go to 'spirits and liquers' at the top right hand side of page:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923747

£11 in Asda (€13.18) but I wanted to know where in Southern Ireland I could get it for €15 as the difference according to 91011 was barely €2??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

WOW! Where is this place that sells a bottle of Smirnoff for just over €13?
    I got loads of bottles of skyy vodka (which PISSES on that smirnoff red muck, the budweiser of vodka) for €14 for a 700ml bottle in tesco at christmas, just look out for offers. This was tesco in the republic BTW. If it was the same strength as smirnoff red it works out at €13.12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

From my understanding, duty in UK was the same as vat. Vat goes up from 17.5% to 20%, but duty remains unchanged?

No, think of diesel here, there is 21% VAT on it + Duties. In NI it will be 20% + Duties. Alcohol and cigarettes works the same. They are called the ould reliables for a good reason. So, they all will go up in NI, regardless of no changes to Duties.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

rubadub wrote: »
    I got loads of bottles of skyy vodka (which PISSES on that smirnoff red muck, the budweiser of vodka) for €14 for a 700ml bottle in tesco at christmas, just look out for offers. This was tesco in the republic BTW. If it was the same strength as smirnoff red it works out at €13.12

I'll keep a look out for that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Duty is charged by HM Customs and Excise

VAT is a Government tax

Both end up at the treasury, just different sections IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

£11 in Asda (€13.18) but I wanted to know where in Southern Ireland I could get it for €15 as the difference according to 91011 was barely €2??

firstly if you can point me in the direction for getting a sterling rate of £11 for €13.18 - the current rate for purchasing sterling is 1.238

difference between standard price in sainsbury (£13.48) & standard price in my local off licence (€18.99) is a little over €2

If you want to compare special offers then compare the asda special offer price and compare it to a current Irish special offer price of 16.99 in molloys and even when comparing the special offer prices the difference is just over €3.30 - a far far cry from the bull**** "over €10 per bottle claim"

as for g32 - VAT & duty are two entirely different taxes. Always have been in ireland, uk, rest of europe and rest of world.

where vat is applicable, (sales tax in usa) it is added to the entire price of the product inclusive of duty, basically part of it is a tax on a tax. In the usa the sales tax is added at the till point wheras in europe it is included in the displayed retail price of the goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

as for g32 - VAT & duty are two entirely different taxes. Always have been in ireland, uk, rest of europe and rest of world.

To clarify this for anyone who doesn't know, the Duty rate on spirits in Ireland is €31.13 per 1l of alcohol in the spirit. Which means for Vodka that is 40% alcohol by volume, if you buy 2.5l of it, €31.13 of the price you paid will be duty. Right now, Tesco are charging €25 for 1l of Absolut, so 2.5l would cost €62.50. The duty paid on that would be fixed at €31.13. When the price increases, the duty remains the same, it is not a % tax.

In the UK, current duty on spirits is £22.64 per 1l of alcohol. By my reckoning, that's about €28 at today's rate. Duty is a little lower in the UK and would account for about €1.30 difference between the prices of 1l of spirits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

ACC 50G silicone grease from Farnell less than £5.00 stg.
    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1667365&CMP=e-2072-00001000
    Bought locally yesterday for €18.00!
    Ripoff Irl still very much alive.

peking97 wrote: »

Return it and get a refund.

Look here:
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=silicon+grease&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

€18 for a 50g tube of silicone grease??:eek::eek:

Yes you were ripped off!!
    They must have seen you coming!! (no offence!)
    Honestly was it the same 50g tube or a bigger tub of it?
    I can't believe anybody would pay €18 for 50g worth of product.

You were either ripped off or incorrectly charged. - I'd go back and check

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0283404&cm_sp=Merchandising-_-Featured-Product-_-0283404

Radionics (dublin) sell it for €4.42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Peking, name and shame the business!
    Naming and shaming rip off merchants is the only way we will drive prices down!

Oh, unless it isn't actually a rip off as nobody forced you to buy it!
    :rolleyes:

firstly if you can point me in the direction for getting a sterling rate of £11 for €13.18 - the current rate for purchasing sterling is 1.238

I used Euro Converter which at the time quoted €13.18.

I used Euro Converter which at the time quoted €13.18.

that gives you official mid market rates and will not give you the real over the counter / credit card rates that have an exchange maring built in. - add an average 2% margin to get the rate you will actually pay when using cash / laser / credit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭new shoes

Its brown bread lads!

Here we go it's been confirmed!

http://www.independent.ie/topics/Sweden

Of course the usual suspects will jump on board defending that this study is WRONG and they of course are right!

No offence lads, but I trust the reports in the media, tv/radio news reports not what YOU want me to believe!

We even pay more for goods produced in Ireland?

Like WTF?

Gucky wrote: »
    Here we go it's been confirmed!

http://www.independent.ie/topics/Sweden

Of course the usual suspects will jump on board defending that this study is WRONG and they of course are right!

No offence lads, but I trust the reports in the media, tv/radio news reports not what YOU want me to believe!

We even pay more for goods produced in Ireland?

Like WTF?

survey was taken in Spring 2009. Food price deflation in Ireland from March 2009 to May 2010 is 8.6% (CSO figures) as usual the press won't read the actual report (I have) because it would give too many answers.

In Spring 2009 there was a huge difference in prices - even I shopped in the North at that time - then finally the big change downwards came.

• Advertisement

survey was taken in Spring 2009. Food price deflation in Ireland from March 2009 to May 2010 is 8.6% (CSO figures) as usual the press won't read the actual report (I have) because it would give too many answers.

In Spring 2009 there was a huge difference in prices - even I shopped in the North at that time - then finally the big change downwards came.

Eddie Hobbs will be on the Colm and Lucey show after ten to discuss it, will make interesting listening!9

Couldnt believe it when I heard the report last night!

My own perception has been things have got alot cheaper?

What's in the basket neways?

new shoes wrote: »

Don't be fooled. We are always more expensive for groceries.

There has been an over-dependency on local retailers for too long and this has created a false economy and fed into the price increase spiral of greed.

France has a higher minimum wage than Ireland and yet their supermarkets such as Lidl and Carrefour are cheaper than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

There has been an over-dependency on local retailers for too long and this has created a false economy and fed into the price increase spiral of greed.

France has a higher minimum wage than Ireland and yet their supermarkets such as Lidl and Carrefour are cheaper than here.

Why are you so anti Irish retailer?
    You talk mindless drivel about shops trading in Ireland and keeping Irish people employed and spend the money (that you either earn or are given by the Irish government) in the North going into the British exchequer.

If you constructively debated your points and opinions rather than coming out with venomous statements that contain no facts, truth or back up then I might take you seriously.
    But you come across in your posts like a petulant child so I wont and there are plenty of other posters on here who feel the same way about your posting.

doubt they take d basket from LIDL!

Id say its from superquinn!

new shoes wrote: »

Its a very comprehensive basket and I'd have no problems with the make up. Problem is the survey is 15months out of date.

Back in late 2008 & early 2009 food prices here were WAY above NI levels, but in the intevening 15 months food price deflation in republic was 8.6%, food price inflation in UK was 5.6% and the sterling / euro difference has changed by 13%.

So taking these figures, the average difference between NI & Republic is about 3% today.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

For what it's worth in Ireland significant rates levies are made by local councils on businesses which obviously have to factor into the retail prices (an average sized Lidl could be as much as €500,000 per year) but in France the councils levy the local householders instead so the trade off is its not included in the retail price but the residents do pay more taxes.

Min wage rate in France is is €0.17 per hour higher - average LIDL with 400 hours labour there has about €80 a week to add onto / incorporate into their prices and maybe another €40 in indirect inflation from suppliers wage levels. €120 a week maybe ? On the other hand VAT rate in France is at least 1.4% lower than here and a lot of items that are levied at 21% here are not levied at full rate there. ( Like in the UK where all food is 0 rated but here anything other than basic ingredients has full tax on it. This is an educated guestimation but if there was €150,000 a week turnover in a LIDL store outside of basic foodstuffs there would be a €1500 difference in the prices which put together with a €5,000 - €10,000 a week rates dwarfs the €120 in extra wage costs.

Point I am making is that everything is not as simple as people tend to think it is when it comes to comparing prices in two countries. The entire taxation system is geared differently.

cheers minister!

For what it's worth in Ireland significant rates levies are made by local councils on businesses which obviously have to factor into the retail prices (an average sized Lidl could be as much as €500,000 per year) but in France the councils levy the local householders instead so the trade off is its not included in the retail price but the residents do pay more taxes.

Min wage rate in France is is €0.17 per hour higher - average LIDL with 400 hours labour there has about €80 a week to add onto / incorporate into their prices and maybe another €40 in indirect inflation from suppliers wage levels. €120 a week maybe ? On the other hand VAT rate in France is at least 1.4% lower than here and a lot of items that are levied at 21% here are not levied at full rate there. ( Like in the UK where all food is 0 rated but here anything other than basic ingredients has full tax on it. This is an educated guestimation but if there was €150,000 a week turnover in a LIDL store outside of basic foodstuffs there would be a €1500 difference in the prices which put together with a €5,000 - €10,000 a week rates dwarfs the €120 in extra wage costs.

Point I am making is that everything is not as simple as people tend to think it is when it comes to comparing prices in two countries. The entire taxation system is geared differently.

I have already pointed out to borderlinemeath/91011 the fact that:

- Rents have been reduced.

- Commercial rates have been reduced.

- VAT has been reduced.

- Electricity has been reduced (Switching from ESB to Bord Gais)

All these excuses are regularly used by retailers and a blame game of denial continues over prices. All the above are at least 20% in savings. That should mean a 20% price reduction passed onto the customer. That is not happening. Therefore, you should not be surprised when the customer votes with their feet. It is the retailer shooting themselves in the foot.

Many retailers only lowered their prices when they were forced to - which is a good thing. Otherwise, they would continue fleecing us.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

I have already pointed out to borderlinemeath/91011 the fact that:

- Rents have been reduced.

- Commercial rates have been reduced.

- VAT has been reduced.

- Electricity has been reduced (Switching from ESB to Bord Gais)

All these excuses are regularly used by retailers and a blame game of denial continues over prices. All the above are at least 20% in savings. That should mean a 20% price reduction passed onto the customer. That is not happening. Therefore, you should not be surprised when the customer votes with their feet. It is the retailer shooting themselves in the foot.

Many retailers only lowered their prices when they were forced to - which is a good thing. Otherwise, they would continue fleecing us.

I was addressing your point about the wage rates in France but to answer your points above ...

Not all rents have been reduced - and anyone on freehold mortgates will still have a sizeable capital plus interest payment.

Again not all commercial rates have been reduced but even were they have these rates don't exist in France.

VAT has been reduced but is still higher than France.

Absolutely agree that energy savings can be made but how does these reduced rates compare with France ?

A 20% reduction in running costs would never ever mean a 20% reduction in prices. (parking aside of course that the running costs of a business aren't solely made up of the 4 points above and also that none of these represent a 20% discount in the first place)

You're forgetting that the retailer is buying a product and selling the product on at a markup that would hopefully cover his / her running costs. So even if there was an across the board 20% fall in running costs what could be reduced or passed on is 20% of the markup. If a retailer is making 25% markup for example then a 20% reduction in costs equates to a 5% price drop.

Advertisement