Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "How many drinks have you had tonight, son" Question

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

how many have i had not enough if im still walking

Haha,ironic name if they're asking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

What's your name?

Two pints.... Twooo Pints

FUCK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

deco1610 wrote: »
    When you're queueing up to enter a pub or club on a night out, and have quite visibly imbibed an alcoholic drink or two, you're likely to be asked by the bouncer this question.
    What do you/should you answer with?

'...I jus wannaz go 'ome occiffur'

*gesticulting accusingly at friends*

'...I zzzneeeveuurr saw'm beFFfooaaARR inme life...'

hIc :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

not been stopped by a bouncer in a while now .. usually just a hello back and forth. if they decide to wanna quiz me for 20 mins i'll take my money down the road. i can find any pub in dublin that'll be happy to charge me over a fiver (or six) for a pint and they won't give me the hassle at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

I only got to top up the first glass of merlot, bouncer. Honest.

Your ma was absolutely panting for it so I had to give her a seeing too.

/ SMACK
    / Nee Naw Nee Naw
    / Bloody A&E; be here all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Never since I have turned 18 have I been stopped by bouncers,strange...

I'm 28 and still get asked for ID on occasion, much to the amusement of my friends. If they ask how many I've had I usually just say 7 or 8 bottles to the bouncer and i never have any problem getting in. Most bouncers would expect that the majority of people have this on a Saturday night before going to a nightclub. I've only been turned away from a nightclub once ever, that was after going out in Dublin & having a monster session, the bouncers in Coppers said I had too much to drink and to go home. A friend of mine who never had a drink in his life was turned away from a nightclub in Waterford one night for being drunk, he couldn't believe what he was hearing so we went somewhere else. On a side note, I've also noticed that it's easier to just walk past the bouncers into nightclubs without question since the recession started.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Usually have 8 or 10 shots of Southern Comfort in one of those fat "thirst buster" 7up bottles on the way into the pub.

Never get asked. Usually have to stop in front of the place and finish my smoke before going in, so I assume as they don't see me swagger, they thing I'm sober. They're usually right, but there was one time that I was drunk getting off the bus. Luckily it was only Messers, so got in past the bouncers no problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

These arent the driods ur lookin for!

You can go about ur business

move along............move along..........

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    I'm 28 and still get asked for ID on occasion, much to the amusement of my friends.
    I'm 29 and that happens just about all of the time...I've been let into only 3 places without ID this year, Messr's, Doyles and Ron Blacks in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Is this just a Dublin thing? In my years of going into clubs and pubs, i've never been asked how much i've had to drink....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

Was told of one night of a mate's solution to the problem:
    A bouncer asked "How many pints have you had tonight sir" to which he replied "Ah just two pints". Bouncer asks "of what" to which he says "ah you no the usual-vodka!"Got in anyway!

If youre ever queing for CP's nightclub in Galway no matter how hammered you are if you say youve had 3 pints in the Skeff, theyll let you in no bother as well, strange folk those bouncers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Ah, I see.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Bouncer...

Flannery's and the Palace, they're grand. Coppers on the other hand...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

bronte wrote: »
    "Bout two fiddy"
    Its three fiddy, and I'm pretty sure I corrected you on that before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I got asked a few weeks ago by a bouncer if I'd taken any drugs. I replied bemused 'No'. He replied 'Are you sure, your pupils are dilated?' He must have been reading Page 1 of 'The effects of pills'. Feckin' meathead! Got in regardless of his questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    I'm 28 and still get asked for ID on occasion, much to the amusement of my friends. If they ask how many I've had I usually just say 7 or 8 bottles to the bouncer and i never have any problem getting in. Most bouncers would expect that the majority of people have this on a Saturday night before going to a nightclub. I've only been turned away from a nightclub once ever, that was after going out in Dublin & having a monster session, the bouncers in Coppers said I had too much to drink and to go home. A friend of mine who never had a drink in his life was turned away from a nightclub in Waterford one night for being drunk, he couldn't believe what he was hearing so we went somewhere else. On a side note, I've also noticed that it's easier to just walk past the bouncers into nightclubs without question since the recession started.

coppers refused cash??

one night i drove into town, parked practically across the road from the club, sauntered over and got asked how much i had to drink. have never drank in my life either, but somehow tend to form a glazed look over my eyes when queuing for such fine establishments. as for the tit in pacha in london that said i was too inebriated, well, i didn't want to go into the stoopid place anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I got asked a few weeks ago by a bouncer if I'd taken any drugs. I replied bemused 'No'. He replied 'Are you sure, your pupils are dilated?'
    Tell him this happens when it is dark, so that more light can get into the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Victor wrote: »

also Bedroom Eyes... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

jonnygiles wrote: »
    Was told of one night of a mate's solution to the problem:
    A bouncer asked "How many pints have you had tonight sir" to which he replied "Ah just two pints". Bouncer asks "of what" to which he says "ah you no the usual-vodka!"Got in anyway!

If youre ever queing for CP's nightclub in Galway no matter how hammered you are if you say youve had 3 pints in the Skeff, theyll let you in no bother as well, strange folk those bouncers...

That is actually accurate. CUBA BOUNCERS CAN BE SWAYED WITH 3 PINTS IN THE COLLEGE BAR. Gpo dont care.

Victor wrote: »

I definitely wouldn't have got into the place if I started to bring 'logic' into the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Bolag_the_2nd

The "How many drinks have you had tonight, son" Question

Daddy, you've come home,arms out for a cuddle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

My friend was queuing up one night and he was going through the answer in his head. "He's going to ask you how many you've had and you're going to say four." He was well on the way now at this stage.

The big moment arrives
    Bouncer : "Alright, where are you coming from?"
    Buddy: "Eh, I'm only after four."
    Bouncer: Facepalm

DamienH wrote: »
    The big moment arrives
    Bouncer : "Alright, where are you coming from?"
    Buddy: "Eh, I'm only after four."
    Bouncer: Facepalm

Doesn't sound like any bouncer I've ever met.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

No, no, no... They facepalm your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

That's why there's no quotation marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

never been asked even tho half the time im swaying back and forth like im on the deck of a ship

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've never been asked but the general consenses with friends is that you had 2 pints in some pub that's close by. It's how you say it that counts, you stutter a bit and the fùckheads will tell ya to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Bouncer: How many pints have you had

Drunk: More points than you got in your Leaving Cert. beefcake

/runs away

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Myself and a few friends once tried to get into Quasar after some drunken bowling. He asked had we had any drinks, and i told him "we've had 1 drink....between us."

He didnt let us in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

I dont drink and Iv been turned away on more than 1 occasion. :mad:

Advertisement