Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River swimming in Kilkenny City

Options
  • 25-05-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

My son has been told by a friend that a great place to swim is just upriver from Greens Bridge where you can access the river by going across the grass opposite Riverside Drive. We went for a look at the weekend but it seems really dangerous with the weir thingy and the currents, although it is only waist deep there. The kids in the water there seemed to be having great fun sliding down the weir and floating in the currents close by (very like a waterpark) but some seemed to get into some difficulty with the current if they went too far from the weir and only seemed to be making their way back to the bank with a lot of difficulty or help.

Do any of you know the score there?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

I wouldn't advise it unless you are a strong swimmer or have a lifejacket on. In summer conditions the weir can be safe enough but it is quite slippy and the river bed below the weir is flat concrete and can be hard to get a grip of. I teach Kayaking around there and any one with us that would swim there usually wears a life jacket and a close eye should be kept on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

There usually is a life gaurd on a popular swimming spot on the Bleach road, don't know when they go on duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I wouldn't swim there full stop considering knackers travellers bring their horses into the river to wash them further up stream..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I wouldn't swim there full stop considering knackers bring their horses into the river to wash them further up stream..

You may want to read the forum charter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I wouldn't swim there full stop considering knackers bring their horses into the river to wash them further up stream..

You are right, but it is a bit ofensive even infantile.

• Advertisement

femur61 wrote: »
    You are right, but it is a bit ofensive even infantile.

Problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I've seen far worse things in that river than horsewater to be honest.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I've seen far worse things in that river than horsewater to be honest.

Yeah, I've often seen dead cattle in there not to mention one or two bodies been dragged out not too long ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Its a rough way down the slope to the river but once down there the currents didnt seem too bad. (and an easy enough swim back to either side) but dont be fooled by the depth: its shallow enough all over but in a few places it used to be 7 foot deep esp on the irishtown side.

Also if Blaine is talking about horse crap/piss then his post (#4) doesnt really have anything wrong with it does it?

It does yeah because you're not allowed to say knackers in the forum.

Back on topic: I swam in that rivers and I am fine so if he's a strong swimmer let him fire away. Maybe all this talk of decomposing animals and horse swill will even put him off it, because that's what finished it for me, except it was seeing it, not reading about it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

In the 90's a high conc of toxic Tributlytin (TBT) was found in the river bed around Greens Bridge (but not upriver).

I'm fairly sure the spot with the lifeguard marked here with a green arrow. I cant remember when they started their summer duty.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=52.683839,-7.268844&num=1&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&ie=UTF8&ll=52.680597,-7.273121&spn=0.036685,0.077162&z=14

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks for the replies.

The travellers swim their horses further downstream past Green's Bridge by Smithwicks so unless the current changes direction there is no harm there.

Are there swimming spots on other rivers close by?

In Kilkenny you're looking at the Dinin or The Nore really, which is essentially the same river. And it's minging. If all that was wrong with it was just the horse washing I'd hop back into it no bothers, so that will tell you.

Two spots which are half an hours drive away that are great to swim too are Mullinavat waterfall and the diving board in Graiguenamanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Weir can be quite dangerous for swimming around, also, as the water moves very slowly in around the city, any dirt doesnt move out quickly, its quite dirty there.

+1 for Graignamanagh.

Newsflash:

It seems that there are some triathlon people swimming the Nore for the Kilkenny City triathlon in July. Looks like a good event.

www.trikilkenny.com

Personally, I'd wait and see if any of them contract river blindness or african sleeping sickness before committing myself to the murky brown abyss, but tis up to yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Wow the river isnt that bad people! Ive been in and out of the Nore, Suir, Barrow, Liffey and countless other rivers for most of my life and so far Ive not caught anything. Our water ways are pretty clean certain parts can be look dirty or off putting but they are generally clean enough. sure you cant wrap your-self in bubble wrap all the time.
    Just remember some simple rules to stay safe cover all cuts before entering the water and wash your hands as soon as possible afterwards try not to touch your eyes, mouth or food before washing them as the majority of diseases that can be associated and caught from rivers come from touching the river bank while getting in or out.
    The life guard at Bleach Road is usually on from 11am-7pm I think in the main summer months July and August so that area should be nice and safe.

Cheers
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks again for all the replies. You've been very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

There is usually a lifeguard on the riverside side too, not sure when they start operating though. There is a hut out there which acts as the baywatch HQ ;)

Advertisement