Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Optiplex Gx 280 Upgrading Ram!!!

Options
  • 25-05-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick ques, i never upgraded a dell before so i want to make sure i buy the right ram before i buy the wrong one.

As far as i can tell this can take 1 gig or 2 gig sticks...ddr2..Just wondering will 6400 which i think is 800 mhz ram work ok with it.....?

Any help on this will be greatly appretiated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

You can use Crucial' online checker or download and run Cpuid to find out which ram you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

Hey thanks for that rebel, but i was wondering more of the dell motherboard weither is it picky to put in different hz ram in it..In which case can it take 6400 ram or lower as i know some ram wont be supported on the the dell mobo......

You can Download PC wizard and check which motherboard type you have.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

Another guy here was asking the same thing
    http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread223946.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

Rebel021 wrote: »
    You can Download PC wizard and check which motherboard type you have.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

Another guy here was asking the same thing
    http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread223946.html

Ah i see thank you very much rebel, much appretiated;):D

• Advertisement

The GX280 uses the Intel i915 chipset which supports a maximum of DDR2-533 RAM, though it probably shipped with DDR2-400. DDR2-800 might work but it's a gamble, you just don't know for sure. Some modules will work while other brands or types won't. Best to stick with Crucial or Kingston's memory configurators.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Karsini wrote: »
    The GX280 uses the Intel i915 chipset which supports a maximum of DDR2-533 RAM, though it probably shipped with DDR2-400. DDR2-800 might work but it's a gamble, you just don't know for sure. Some modules will work while other brands or types won't. Best to stick with Crucial or Kingston's memory configurators.

Correct, Karsini. I upgraded my 280 to 2gig ram. Got the ram from www. memorybits.co.uk. 3 banks of DDR2-533 cost about 50 yoyos afaicr. You can get all the details of what the 280s can take on the Dell site.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jaykayphd

Hey guys,

Apologies for the following probably simplistic questions!

The company my girlfriend works for is selling off some Dell Optiplex GX280 with windows xp preloaded for €30.

Is this a decent enough purchase for connecting up to a flat screen tv? It will only be used for watching youtube, surfing web, storing photos etc. Nothing too strenuous. Will this plays DVDs ok for me assuming it has a DVD drive or I buy one? I'm thinking I cant go wrong for the price.

I have no idea what spec machine will be supplied...so no idea of hard drive capacity nor amount of RAM, but if I can upgrade it to 2 gigs RAM for €50 like the above poster,and connect a wireless mouse and keyboard it should do the trick, right?

Thanks for any opinions.

The Dell spec for this machine is as listed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

jaykayphd wrote: »

Is this a decent enough purchase for connecting up to a flat screen tv? It will only be used for watching youtube, surfing web, storing photos etc. Nothing too strenuous. Will this plays DVDs ok for me assuming it has a DVD drive or I buy one? .

I have no idea what spec machine will be supplied...so no idea of hard drive capacity nor amount of RAM, but if I can upgrade it to 2 gigs RAM for €50 like the above poster,and connect a wireless mouse and keyboard it should do the trick, right?

My mams computer is a similar spec to the Optiplex's and it will do standard definition on Youtube no problem, its fine for watching DVD's too

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭icrusader

any chance one of those dells are left for 30 yoyos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

jaykayphd wrote: »

The company my girlfriend works for is selling off some Dell Optiplex GX280 with windows xp preloaded for €30. .

Hi jaykayphd,
    Any more of those GX280 going for sale?My motherboard is broken on mine and I want another model so I can switch hard drives.Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its only been a bit under three months since the offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

And what????No harm in asking the guy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Aside from being one hell of a long shot, a PM to jaykayphd referencing this thread might have been the better idea simply because I doubt he has any reason to look at this thread any more :o

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jaykayphd

Apologies for delay in replying.

Afraid the 30 yoyo 'puters all went when I originally posted.

Advertisement