Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campag Neutron Ultra -v- Mavic Kysrium SL

• 25-05-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a new wheelset around the €750 mark, and so far the Neutron Ultra & the Kysrium SL are the standouts.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26105

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42066

I'm looking for something similar to my Easton Ascent IIs in terms of weight and comfort, but I want to try something different for a new build. Some reviews I've read suggest that the Kysrium mite be a little stiffer, though I have to say I prefer the look of it over the Neutron.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of using both, and how they compare in terms of comfort -v- stiffness?. Or is there anything else I should consider in the same price range?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Both good wheels but these are flavour of the last few months and this site has great prices too on both of the wheels you mentioned
    Not a fan of the spoke arrangement on campag wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Yeah, the Dura Ace wheels definitely would have been top of the list if I was going with Shimano, but I have most of the Chorus groupset already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm quite happy with the Ksyriums, light and stiff, accelerate well. No idea on strength yet, I haven't used them long enough but they are really just for racing and not an all round wheel (for me).

One thing: those goddamn skewers! Argh! The plastic handle that sits on the metal lever is loose on the front (a common problem if you google) and it creates the most annoying rattle. I'm easily annoyed by noises coming from my bike, it makes it sound cheap and unloved, so it may or may not be an issue for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm quite happy with the Ksyriums, light and stiff, accelerate well.

Facepalm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Facepalm.

Sorry, I should have said it "feels" like they accelerate well "up hills". I certainly notice the difference between them and my aksiums. Yes, I suppose you should expect some difference between a cheaper set and a more expensive set of wheels.

Let's leave the science out of it and let the man enjoy his wheels ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Just wondering if anyone has experience of using both, and how they compare in terms of comfort -v- stiffness?. Or is there anything else I should consider in the same price range?[/QUOTE]

I have both. The Mavics came on a new secondhand bike I bought to race earlier this year. I had Ultras on the old racer. The Mavics look better-probably down to the bladed spokes. I swapped them round and race the Ultras on the new bike. The feel slightly stiffer, spin up well/slightly better, freewheel beautifully, are bombproof-still true having been hammered on some bad surfaces, and are easily serviced. Ultimately its a personal thing as there is little to choose between them but in my humble opinion the Ultras are a little ahead in most categories. Got them at a good price at Slane Cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Facepalm.
    You don't think different wheels can feel like they accelerate better or worse? I think lighter wheels feel like they jump forward quicker, as a rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    You don't think different wheels can feel like they accelerate better or worse? I think lighter wheels feel like they jump forward quicker, as a rule.

I do believe that owning nice wheels is nice, but I don't believe I can feel a 1% power saving whilst accelerating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Kysriums - yea light , very stiff and generally regarded as bombproof.
    On the negative; that annoying noise from the front squer lever is widespread and a source of general annoyance.
    I have experienced problems with those bladed spokes seizing in the screwed in rim nipples. This usually happens after a few years use but if truing or spoke replacement is needed it can lead to a hefty price for a rebuild. 200 - 230e all because a broken spoke and wheel now sent to Mavic France. Almost not worth it . Lads in shop said it was a common problem. Not sure if this helps but i`d go for Campag wheels. A fair bit lighter too i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

I'm looking at buying a new wheelset around the €750 mark, and so far the Neutron Ultra & the Kysrium SL are the standouts.

Ksyrium SLs for €619 (+ €28 shipping) or with tubes and pro 3 tyres all for €690 (add shipping charge)

Don't know any shop anywhere that can match this site for wheel prices

http://www.jedi-sports.de/product_info.php/info/p761_Mavic-Ksyrium-SL-red-2010-incl--2-x-Pro-3-Race---bartape---tubes.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

I do believe that owning nice wheels is nice, but I don't believe I can feel a 1% power saving whilst accelerating.

Ah man, where's the joy and wonder and childlike belief in new, spangly stuff? ;)

Maybe if you go between Zipp404's and DT Swiss 1400's you mightn't notice the difference but I certainly did when going between 6 year old, heavy as a boat anchor Campy Ventos to Ambrosio Excellights. There was a definite extra sprightliness.

Advertisement