Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Traffic in Balbriggan- Noise sux.

Options
  • 25-05-2010 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am new to Balbriggan- I love the town and there are some great characters here. One very minor thing I do not like is the air traffic- has anyone noticed that there seems to be above average airplane and helicopter traffic in the area? I know we are close to the airport so I guess that explains the jets but I am not so sure about the helicopters. Does it have something to do with the coast guard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

rdaily207 wrote: »
    I am new to Balbriggan- I love the town and there are some great characters here. One very minor thing I do not like is the air traffic- has anyone noticed that there seems to be above average airplane and helicopter traffic in the area? I know we are close to the airport so I guess that explains the jets but I am not so sure about the helicopters. Does it have something to do with the coast guard?
    It's on a flight path for both the airport for incoming aircraft and helicopters (coast guard and Gormanston Army Camp).

Can't say it's ever bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah - lots of coast guard flights - you'll get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

plenty of coast guard flights plus Gormo army camp.
    depending on weather/ runway being used you will get loads of planes or none as we are on an approach run for the airport. You will get used to it very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Actually I think only approx 5-10% of all flights in/out of Dublin Airport fly over the town. The normal flightpath is much more to the south and goes over Portmarnock/Malahide area.

The coastguard helicopter flights are regular and personally I'd far rather hear it and see it out and about than not.

There are other noises that you will get used to like the range in Gormanston Camp, the siren at Wavin etc. When we moved here we came from a city centre location and the first thing we noticed was how quiet it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

Actually, it kinda puts me to sleep.. and I dream about airplanes!! it's truly beautiful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

Hi rDaily207,
    In reply to your post, let me give you some information about air traffic movements.
    Departures off the westerly runway turning towards Balbriggan will not normally turn before 3000ft for noise abatement. After that their normal track will take them across the coast at Rush or south of. By this time they would typically be passing 12,000ft in the climb. You really shouldn't hear much noise at that stage.
    Some early morning arrivals from the North Atlantic do pass over the Balbriggan area. They would normally be between 3000 and 6000ft up. Again there should not be much noise from them as the engines would be at idle or not much more as they are descending. They would normally be routed by ATC towards Lambay where they begin what is called the base turn towards the runway. The next turn would be near Ireland's eye where they line up with the runway. This is called turning finals.
    The rescue helicopter usually crosses the coast at Malahide and descends to very low levels (50 to 100ft) for daily training exercises off shore.
    I hope you can visualise what I have described and that it helps you to understand what the aircraft are doing.
    Regards,
    BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Trust me Air Traffic noise in Balbriggan is a walk in the park compaired to when I lived in Dollymount for a couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hi rDaily207,
    In reply to your post, let me give you some information about air traffic movements.
    Departures off the westerly runway turning towards Balbriggan will not normally turn before 3000ft for noise abatement. After that their normal track will take them across the coast at Rush or south of. By this time they would typically be passing 12,000ft in the climb. You really shouldn't hear much noise at that stage.
    Some early morning arrivals from the North Atlantic do pass over the Balbriggan area. They would normally be between 3000 and 6000ft up. Again there should not be much noise from them as the engines would be at idle or not much more as they are descending. They would normally be routed by ATC towards Lambay where they begin what is called the base turn towards the runway. The next turn would be near Ireland's eye where they line up with the runway. This is called turning finals.
    The rescue helicopter usually crosses the coast at Malahide and descends to very low levels (50 to 100ft) for daily training exercises off shore.
    I hope you can visualise what I have described and that it helps you to understand what the aircraft are doing.
    Regards,
    BB.
    Plenty (one every 20 mins or so) of arrivals between 8pm and 11pm fly over Balbriggan. It's a nightly occurrence. You can hear them 'shifting' down as they hit the coast. Whats the story with these?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nodster wrote: »
    Trust me Air Traffic noise in Balbriggan is a walk in the park compaired to when I lived in Dollymount for a couple of years
    Well I'm living in Clontarf now and trust me - air traffic noise there is a walk in the park next to Portmarnock where I lived for three years! At weekends we'd close the windows so we could hear the TV over the roar of traffic (the apartment was very much beneath the flight path of planes - you could see strings of them at peak times).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I've never heard the planes:eek:

Off to the doctor for a hearing test for me.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Plenty (one every 20 mins or so) of arrivals between 8pm and 11pm fly over Balbriggan. It's a nightly occurrence. You can hear them 'shifting' down as they hit the coast. Whats the story with these?

If there is an easterly wind the bulk of the arrivals will arrive over the Balbriggan area as they are descending. They are on the downwind leg of the arrival phase. They will continue to descend as they make a left turn onto the base leg typically somewhere south of Navan and then shortly afterwards make another left turn onto final approach as they line up with the runway anywhere from Dunboyne or 5 or 6 miles west of it. They will cross the Ashbourne road and land in an easterly direction (facing the coast) into wind. Again these arrivals will be relatively high(12000) or less and the power will be reduced somewhat.
    If you don't follow any part of this please let me know. I will be happy to explain if I can.
    Regards, BB.

Nodster wrote: »

Spare a thought for the poor people of St. Margarets. Once upon a time they lived in a tiny, sleepy country village. Now they live at the end of the busiest runway in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I dont even notice the planes.The helicopters, well, its something you get used to.The wavin siran..well now , thats a hole other ball game:D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

cathy01 wrote: »
    The wavin siran..well now , thats a hole other ball game:D

A heart attack inducer :eek::eek: !!

Advertisement