Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd Test approaching

• 25-05-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I'll be giving the test my third bash on Friday week. I failed last time mainly on observation. I had no marks for my mirrors and the only other area I got significant marks in were my controls of gears which I got two marks for.

I'm quite nervous as I badly need the full licence and can ill afford another test date at present. I'll be Naas again so any advice would be much appreciated. Was it just that I was so pre-occupied with using my mirrors (I had been told to just keep checking them all the time) that I forgot to look out for hazards etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Cant help you specifically with Naas but as for general advice, try and remain as calm and relaxed as possible (I know easier said than done!) and stay focussed and concentrated on the immediate task at hand.

Treat each junction, maneouver, roundabout etc one at as time, once you have completed it forget it - move on and concentrate on the next junction etc. Dont dwell on any potential faults or mistakes you make, its more likely to cause you to make more - stay completely focused on what is happening right now.

Follow Mirror, Signal, Position, Speed (& Gear), Look (MSPSL) procedure for each and every time you need to adjust speed, change lane, turn left, turn right, navigate a roundabout etc. You do not need to keep checking your mirrors constantly - this will more than likely cause you to pick up faults - you need to check your mirrors - at the appropriate times. On a busy road with loads of traffic, pedestrians etc this could mean every 5 seconds - on a long straight quiet road it could be every 15-20 seconds - there is no set time frame.

Good luck with the test!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

One piece of advice I would have is just drive as you would normally drive, as if the tester wasn't there. I failed my first test for being 'too careful', as I kept thinking 'This is what the tester would want me to do' and I got 6 x Grade 2s overall for progress.

If you are faced with a situation where you are unsure what to do, do what you'd normally do if the tester wasn't there, it's usually right. Also, if you are turning right and waiting for a gap etc., take the gap that you would take if he wasn't there.

I would recommend getting a lesson with an ADI before your next test. He should be able to sort out all the observation marks. I don't really believe in pre-tests, as it isn't really beneficial to you and it is very easy for the tester to just sit back putting X's on a sheet (but that's just my opinion, some people find them great for simulating test conditions). I prefer when an instructor tells you what you are doing wrong as you are doing it.

Don't just concentrate on the faults you got on the last test. I had a friend who failed his first test, concentrated on the faults he made, took his next test and failed with quite a number of Grade 2 faults that he didn't get before!

Advertisement