Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need info on edu in Ireland.

Options
  • 26-05-2010 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

I come from Latvia because our country is sinking at an extremely fast rate.
    And I have no idea how education works here, I read something about leaving certs, points to get to college, fetac or something to get more points and it seems rather complicated.

I never finished highschool in Latvia because we were so poor we couldn't afford to pay for our stuff, so we were forced to move here.

Where do I get info on how it all works here? I'd really love to get some IT degree and work in an IT field. I don't want to be stuck at McDonalds forever.

I am only 18, I can still get somewhere, right, RIGHT?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Breathe.

Yes, you can. It'll be difficult and it'll take a while, but you can.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education - this is the Irish Government's Citizens' Information website. It has a huge amount of information on the education system, exams, and so forth.

www.education.ie is the Department of Education's website. It's also full of information, though a bit confusing.

Here's the best one: Youthreach is a programme developed by the Government for young people (15-20) who've left school without any qualifications. So, basically, your situation. http://www.youthreach.ie/aatopmenu/AboutYR/about.html

Depending on your residency status in Ireland, you might be able to get a place on that programme. They work with people on an individual level to achieve educational goals. So you might eventually be able to achieve a secondary education certification (by, ultimately, sitting the Leaving Cert), apply for a college place on the foot of that, and get a degree that way. Honestly, what might best work for you depends how much secondary education you completed in Latvia as well.

I suggest reading up on programmes like Youthreach and other things offered by groups like FÁS (they fund most of the places on the Youthreach course). Go to your local community centre and library and ask questions.

There's a lot of information out there, and a lot of resources to help people in your situation make the most of educational opportunities. Best of luck.

Edit: Basically, getting a college place isn't hard if you've completed secondary education. If not, you need to do so or get an equivalent qualification, then apply. Getting a high-in-demand place is tough, but cross one bridge at a time, right? Getting into college, especially for someone your age, demands the basic qualifications to start with. As you are from an EU member state, the Government will cover your fees and you'll probably be eligible for a maintenance grant to help your attending college. But, again, get that second-level qualification first.

Feel free to PM me if you've any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

Thanks Sir Ophiuchus, that was very informative.
    Could you or someone tell about these points I keep hearing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

No problem.

The way it works is this. Entry to third-level undergraduate courses in Ireland is (except for mature students) administered by the CAO, or Central Applications Office. The year before you want to go to college, you apply to them giving a list of course preferences (eg Psychology at Trinity, Science at DCU, et cetera).

You then (usually) sit your Leaving Cert exam. Your six best subject results from that are converted into "points" (the actual conversion ratio doesn't matter right now).

These points are used for one thing and one thing only. In the event that a particular course has more applicants than places (which is pretty usual), the applicants are ranked by points and those with higher points get the places. So if 50 people apply for 30 places, the 30 with the highest points get the place. If people are referring to "the points for a course", they mean "the lowest points score that would have gotten you a place on the course": the score the last guy/girl who got a place had!

This means, therefore, that those who do better academically are more likely to get their first picks. It also means, though, that as points are only related to how many people apply, it's quite easy to find respected, well-taught courses in many fields of interest that have very low points - people just don't want to study them! Finally, it means that if you're flexible enough with regard to what course you want, you're very, very likely to get a college place, provided you meet the basic standards. This is because after all the course offers are made to people who "had the points" for their course, the CAO advertises all the courses with empty spaces in them. Typically they're less-in-demand and from more obscure colleges, but you can just apply and automatically be granted a place at that point.

I mentioned basic standards. To go to university at all, you need to have a certain standard of secondary education. These requirements are called "matriculation requirements". They differ between colleges, but in practice you need to pass six (very occasionally five) Leaving Cert subjects, score at least two C3 grades at Higher Level (papers can be taken at Ordinary or Higer level), and have taken the subjects English, Mathematics, and a second language (usually Irish, but it can be something else for non-Irish people like yourself). These do vary from university to university, so check them yourself. You can also get into college through taking certain FETAC (that's the Further Education and Training Awards Council) courses that provide the same level of education. I don't know too much about what those are like, though, so maybe someone else can post about those.

So, what do you, johanz, need to do to get into college?

You need to get into some form of education, either at a community centre or a sponsored programme. Depending on where you're at academically, you should bring up your level to Leaving Cert standard, working with the syllabi for your desired subjects in mind. You could in theory work independently, but it's not really a good idea since you're so unfamiliar with the system. Get into a programme or work with a teacher. When ready, you then need to register for the exam (you don't actually have to be in school to take it). You need to apply to CAO that same year, as well as for college maintenance grant money, etc. You then need to get the grades I mentioned above, and bam! You're qualified for college. Whether or not you can get into a specific course depends entirely on how good your grades are, but if you meet the minimum requirements you will be able to get into some recognised college course, somewhere.

There you go. You could also take the FETAC route. Again, I know nothing about it - it may or may not be a better fit for you. Honestly, it depends on, again, your own academic state.

So. Go to a local Citizens Advice Centre (you can find a list online) and ask about education programmes for people in your age and circumstance. Ask if there's an advisor you could make an appointment with to discuss your individual situation. Find an educational path that works for you, and go for it.

And, again, good luck!

Advertisement