Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beltany Stone circle

Options
  • 26-05-2010 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

We had two Canadian visitors this evening and we were thinking of places of interest that we could visit close by before it got dark, so I thought of bringing them to Beltany just outside Raphoe. It was a great evening weather wise so the site looked really photogenic in the evening light, we got there around 8pm. Just wondering do you have to ask permission prior to entering the site?

There are no signs up at the entrance to say that this area is private property, or that tresspassers would be prosecuted, do not enter etc. Just a couple of OPW signs detailing the significance and history of the site.

Our visitors were amazed at Beltany, and thought it was a really interesting place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I've been there a few times, and thankfully, have never had any hassle.
    I don't think it's private property, as you say, there are OPW signs about the place.

I wouldn't be put off going back, if I was you, it's a great location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I edited my post a little since you replied mrmac. On reflection I think that everthing was ok, I'll be back to Beltany again, its well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

interesting stuff, i just googled it and found a load of pictures, never heard of this place before.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Beltany is an amazing stone circle and I think one of the largest around. It's amazing how unknown it is in national terms, and even locally. There's also another stone circle up near Gleneely in Inishowen. I've only seen it from the roadside as the field was full of cows. Didn't want to risk being chased around the field by the cows. Never trust the cows! Looks impressive enough and I would like to get a closer look. I don't mind the sheep around Beltany though. No problems accessing Beltany either.
    4546007732_ca38036e7b_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The Griannan near Buncrana will impress them ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

mrmac wrote: »
    I've been there a few times, and thankfully, have never had any hassle.
    I don't think it's private property, as you say, there are OPW signs about the place.

I wouldn't be put off going back, if I was you, it's a great location.

I really like the ancient "feel" it has to it. Even on a miserable February day it is impressive.

The Grianan of Aileach, while massive, was for me less impressive, mainly because it doesn't look or "feel" ancient (and I suppose, given it's "only" about 1000 years old, it strictly isn't).

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I really like the ancient "feel" it has to it. Even on a miserable February day it is impressive.

The Grianan of Aileach, while massive, was for me less impressive, mainly because it doesn't look or "feel" ancient (and I suppose, given it's "only" about 1000 years old, it strictly isn't).

Beltany and other pagan places give me the creeps so I avoid them.
    Would not go near them with the proverbial bargepole

Give me a ruined Church or abbey any time..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Anyone know about the ruins by the Old School in Lough Eske it on the way to the Forestry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Graces7 wrote: »
    Beltany and other pagan places give me the creeps so I avoid them.

Sorry to hear you deny yourself such archaeological wonders.
    There is so much heritage in this country that originated pre. 5th century.

Copied from "Ireland - An Oxford Archaeological Guide to Sites from Earliest Times to AD 1600 - Andy Halpin and Conor Newman - ISBN 0–19–280671–8"
    Beltany, or Tops Stone Circle, is prominently sited overlooking the south-westerly end of the Deele river valley and the middle reaches of the Foyle. The view to the north is quite compromised by afforestation.
    There is some debate as to whether this site is a conventional stone circle or a cairn with an orthostatic kerb. To be sure, the 64 surviving kerbstones are the most impressive and distinguishing feature but this is partly because the cairn has been so badly disturbed and survives to a height of only about 50 cm.
    Indeed many of the cairn stones have been thrown out from the centre into a kind of bank around the orthostats. In the south-west quadrant of the interior a tall, triangular sectioned stone protrudes from the cairn and beside it is a long, recumbent stone which may indicate the existence of a cist or chamber.
    Working clockwise from the somewhat pyramidal stone at the extreme north of the kerb, there is a series of cupmarks on the seventh stone after this. An outlying stone, about 2 m tall, stands to the south-east and on the opposite side of the circle are the two tallest, but slightly overlapping, stones suggesting an axis of orientation. There are three further standing stones on this hill, two of which can be seen on the north slope, and there are still more in fields off the Castlefinn road.
    On the opposite side of the Deele Valley is Croghan Hill but the prominence on the top, which looks for all the world like a cairn, is
    actually a natural outcrop.
    The so-called Beltany stone head (now in the National Museum of Ireland) was found either in the circle or nearby. Rynne has identified a particular concentration of stone idols in the Raphoe area, of which the Beltany head is the best-known example. Its stylized features and the presence of a neckring or torc suggest an Iron Age date.

mrmac wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you deny yourself such archaeological wonders.
    There is so much heritage in this country that originated pre. 5th century.

Copied from "Ireland - An Oxford Archaeological Guide to Sites from Earliest Times to AD 1600 - Andy Halpin and Conor Newman - ISBN 0–19–280671–8"

You are funny....

"Archaeology" holds no interest for me whatsoever. Nor in that sense does "heritage".

These things hold old and evil powers.

Shunning such is not denial. Just sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

the man who started the original Donegal Hedgerow site walks around there, I believe.

Grace, this was obviously a thread about a pre-Christian site, so um, why not shun it as well?

Thanks for the book refs, MrMac.

OK; I quit... because your post offends simply. each has a viewpoint and a place... each a giving to give. For each that giving is of worth. Clearly not so here now.

I will not stay where I cannot give. so I give my absence simply now.

Wishing you peace as I leave nevertheless..truly wishing you peace..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Have never been there myself. Must pay it a visit, looks interesting and say looks pretty cool in the dusk

http://www.ancientireland.org/beltany/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

It sounds wonderful!

Lol at the bad ju-ju comments :)

I'm hoping to spend a few days around donegal this summer and this circle will definitely be on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Was at the stone circle last night at 2am for some reason, no one tried to chase us anyway :p

Advertisement