Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoting loooooooong posts

Options
  • 26-05-2010 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Greetings,

There aren't many things that irk me about the site but one of the few issues I have is people quoting massive posts only to contribute a '+1' or 'Great post". Isn't this the reason the thanks system was implemented?

See example below -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66052831&postcount=140

Boards is of course moving with the times and more and more folk are using smart phones etc to browse. IMO there's little worse than scrolling through text you've already read, sometimes more than once.

Is there any way a cap could be put on the amount of characters you can quote? Or even just a rule about doing.

I know it might be a trivial issue to some but there you go.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Don't know if a rule would really work - there's rules in photo threads about not quoting photos and inevitably someone/a few will still do it to say 'wow cute pic'. (that bugs me)
    Don't get me wrong I hate when people quote reallllly long posts too, when they only wish to address one line/paragraph or just to say 'I totally agree' / 'great post'- as you say rather annoying to scroll through. But I just don't know if an enforced rule would really catch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Greetings,

There aren't many things that irk me about the site but one of the few issues I have is people quoting massive posts only to contribute a '+1' or 'Great post". Isn't this the reason the thanks system was implemented?

See example below -

Boards is of course moving with the times and more and more folk are using smart phones etc to browse. IMO there's little worse than scrolling through text you've already read, sometimes more than once.

Is there any way a cap could be put on the amount of characters you can quote? Or even just a rule about doing.

I think it is also a symptom of people using smartphones etc

It is a pain on them to edit out text to just pick out the bit you want to reply too so maybe that is why some people are doing it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think it is also a symptom of people using smartphones etc

It is a pain on them to edit out text to just pick out the bit you want to reply too so maybe that is why some people are doing it too?

A valid point but what about the plus one-ers? Surely they should be made use the thanks system if that's all they have to offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

A valid point but what about the plus one-ers? Surely they should be made use the thanks system if that's all they have to offer?

They should, it is what the thanks system is for

But I can't see any way of enforcing it other than through work for Ross and Connor and this is probably something that would be way down their list

I am not disagreeing with you, I just think it is something that might never be gotten around too

Maybe raise it in the development forum, if there is a quick solution then the lads will look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Greetings,

Yeah it irritates me too, especially with pics. I would usually just quote the text in the pic post, or a small section of a long post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I agree completely. One point to note though is that the thanks button isn't on m.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A very hard thing to "legislate" for. Sometimes quoting the entire post is valid if you are responding to the whole thing, otherwise it looks like you've selectively edited the quote to respond to only a certain part.

Perhaps a workaround for the mobile skin:

When a post is quoted and that quote includes both the username and postid, e.g.
    KevIRL wrote: »
    I agree completely. One point to note though is that the thanks button isn't on m.boards.ie
    Then perhaps the content of the quote can be truncated. So on the mobile skin, the above will appear something like this:

KevIRL wrote: »
    <Insert reply here>

This gives the mobile user the option to view what was quoted. Of course, if someone chops up a quote or whatever, there's little you can do about it.

Changing the rules to suit smartphone use == no feckin way. Although the number of people using smartphones to browse will increase, those same people will still use a normal PC day-to-day. There will never be a large number of posters only using boards on a smartphone to justify making rules to make them happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Greetings,

See example below -

seamus wrote: »
    A very hard thing to "legislate" for. Sometimes quoting the entire post is valid if you are responding to the whole thing, otherwise it looks like you've selectively edited the quote to respond to only a certain part.

Perhaps a workaround for the mobile skin:

When a post is quoted and that quote includes both the username and postid, e.g.

Then perhaps the content of the quote can be truncated. So on the mobile skin, the above will appear something like this:

<Insert reply here>

This gives the mobile user the option to view what was quoted. Of course, if someone chops up a quote or whatever, there's little you can do about it.

Changing the rules to suit smartphone use == no feckin way. Although the number of people using smartphones to browse will increase, those same people will still use a normal PC day-to-day. There will never be a large number of posters only using boards on a smartphone to justify making rules to make them happy.

+1. Great posts guy!

.... I'll get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not having a go, but perhaps citing an individual post is a little mean. The gripe is easy to illustrate without putting the spotlight on another user, especially one that doesn't appear to have posted much.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

stovelid wrote: »
    Not having a go, but perhaps citing an individual post is a little mean. The gripe is easy to illustrate without putting the spotlight on another user, especially one that doesn't appear to have posted much.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with the particular post/user.

I picked an example because whenever someone has a problem/issue in Feedback and doesn't provide a link they are told to find one.

Damned if you, damned if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's not like scrolling on a phone is that difficult though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

5starpool wrote: »

It is if you have fat fingers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Des wrote: »
    It is if you have fat fingers :(

"To Order a dialing wand, smash your fist off the keypad now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I have seen it done on other sites as well. Wouldn't see it as a huge issue to be honest although I do try to edit down long posts if Im replying to them as a rule

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If I am at 40 posts per page and there's some big ass posts in said page it can take me a good 30-40 seconds to scroll through the whole thing.

It's not difficult, just boring :)

If I am at 40 posts per page and there's some big ass posts in said page it can take me a good 30-40 seconds to scroll through the whole thing.

It's not difficult, just boring :)

Get a better phone :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Get a better phone :)

Sony Erricsson W995 walkman with 8.1 mp cybershot camera.

Booyah.

:P

pffft

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought the OP was going to complain about someone quoting the Amp speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

One option could be to add some CSS to a quote div so it has its own scrollbar if it goes over x amount of pixels. That could be quite annoying though, and could cause its own scrolling issues if there 10 different things on a page that could scroll.

If photos are quoted in motors, I usually replace with manually. I might also snip posts that have quoted large sections of text on occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

While we are at it /random

Can joo increase pm length..it's only 7k characters, gets annoying!

Sony Erricsson W995 walkman with 8.1 mp cybershot camera.

Booyah.

:P

I have it and the camera's shíte.!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

On that very subject can something be done about the likes of this also, see post 2
    Clickedy click

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Greetings,

See example below -

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but when I use the mobile site I don't have the option to thank posts and have to wait to load the www. site which takes forever and can be seriously cumbersome on the phone
    I see kevirl actually pointed that out if that was on the mobile site it would be used a lot more and on fat fingers my biggest problem is I keep reporting posts instead of quoting them :p

Advertisement