Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill recommendations please..

• 26-05-2010 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

I need to purchase a drill.
    Requirements are 'high torque and variable speed.

I am at this point in time still considering both options of either portable (24volts) or mains.

It's for a once of job in garden and will be rareley used after that.
    In view of above I am looking for a 'budget priced' item.

Any thoughts please .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I need to purchase a drill.
    Requirements are 'high torque and variable speed.

I am at this point in time still considering both options of either portable (24volts) or mains.

It's for a once of job in garden and will be rareley used after that.
    In view of above I am looking for a 'budget priced' item.

Any thoughts please .

Whatever the level you pitch at, You're almost certain to get more torque per buck with a main's operated unit. The battery part is a significant cost in the price of a cordless item.

Even though you'd use it rarely, it's no harm having something that can do future jobs in which case you could add hammer action onto too. It'd probably be standard on most units.

The thing to look for is wattage. The more wattage the more torque - it's a direct correlation. Most would have variable speed but check.

ROK brand in Woodies or something from Lidl would be fine. I'd stoop now lower than say Bosch myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

If you want a drill for a once off project why not hire one?
    Just explain what you need to use it for and they will give you an appropriate one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Black and decker 750 watt corded, torquey, cheap and tough enuf. I use em as pootling drills and apart from the odd one that expires in a puff of grey smoke, they are a good little drill and punch above their weight. Argos have them for about €50ish. Avoid the discount stores versions, b&q own brands, they have poor motors. If you buy a real cheapie, go for a 1000watt as they will stick a little more abuse. (What are you gonna drill anyway?)

Advertisement