Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Snobbishness towards caravanning/camping - moreso than Motorhomes

• 26-05-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭

Anyone else find this? Most people think you're mad - or "look down" on the whole idea.

Why such snobbishness, possibly:

a) they think it involves hardship (caravanning doesnt, camping is a bit more basic)
    b) they think you're a cheapskate, and that if anyone can afford it then it cant be any good. How could a hotel not be better if it costs 5 times more???

I think campervans mightnt suffer as much as they're expensive so they must be good, they tend to be newer, shinier creations and ravellers dont use them (not that I've seen anyway), so there's none of that stigma.

Any views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Not sure what the question is, but the reaction i get from people who don't go camping (in any form) is if anything, a little bit of envy and often a wish that they could have such adventures. I have a VW hightop, which i no longer use as a camper van,and i find that people in larger camper vans (not all) tend not to give you a wave, whereas when i'm driving my bigger Fiat Ducky, the waves come hard and fast from people in the bigger campers as well as the humble (not) VW's and other smaller relations of the camping fraternity.
    I must say that i've never found caming holidays cheap (maybe i'm missing something) . By comparison package holidays seem reasonable, but i would never want to give up the freedom and choice you get on camping holidays, of all kinds. My children (now grown) were only bored once,and that was the one and only package holiday we went on. To conclude, i wave to people in caravans, but seldom get a response,i think this is due to the fact that they are not expecting it and not out of a sense of being different. Hope that covered some of the points you were asking about.......................................b:rolleyes::):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I think people generally like the idea of motorhomes. They look nice in general, are not as common as caravans, maybe they are seen as a step up from caravanning?? But as Boyoh said there are degrees of snobbery too within the differing types of motorhomes (probably based on size, age, equipment etc etc).

Caravanning as the OP says can have an association with the travelling community. Perhaps would account for some snobbery?

Camping is camping. It is basic. I have done it, I don't want to do it anymore but loads of people really enjoy it. That's up to them.

As with anything there may be varying degrees of snobbery towards any of the above for whatever reason, in the end of the day people will do what they enjoy most regardless of what it is and how it's viewed by others. It's a free world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I suppose the original question was - "Have you experienced this snobbery?"

Must say I've yet to meet anyone from whom I detected envy re the prospect of caravanning - must be the type of people I encounter.

I get the impression that caravanning etc is more the norm in Britain, theres a tradition of it, that people wouldnt blink at the thought of it, whereas I think we're a bit behind the trend in Ireland.

Re costs - a weekend in a caravan park Vs in a hotel - absolute cast iron money saver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Anyone else find this? Most people think you're mad - or "look down" on the whole idea

Any views?

Maybe its begrudgery, it usually is when people try to knock it. Wait until the others cannot afford the package deals, then it will be ( well for you, you can afford to go on holidays ) Forget about them not worth while bothering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Who cares! I love camping. It takes a special breed to do it and enjoy it. Whatever others have to say doesn't matter... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Anyone else find this? Most people think you're mad - or "look down" on the whole idea.

Why such snobbishness, possibly:

a) they think it involves hardship (caravanning doesnt, camping is a bit more basic)
    b) they think you're a cheapskate, and that if anyone can afford it then it cant be any good. How could a hotel not be better if it costs 5 times more???

I think campervans mightnt suffer as much as they're expensive so they must be good, they tend to be newer, shinier creations and ravellers dont use them (not that I've seen anyway), so there's none of that stigma.

Any views?

I have no experience of caravanning,but i have a lot of experience of camping and camper van holidays, and you can buy a package holiday in say, Morrocco or Tunisia for as little as €299, to go camper vaning in either of those places, and lots of others, in fact anywhere outside the country and some inside will cost you a hell of a lot more. But to have such adventure costs money and may cause a little envy (or pleasure) when you relate these stories to others who are unable or unwilling to embark on such trips.If you go to a campsite for a weekend, of course it is cheaper, but you get what you pay for both in money and effort. I love camping,but if you are worrying about status then perhaps another hobby (that's what it is ) might be better........................................b:(:):D

Advertisement