Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installation of integrated headset!!!!!

• 26-05-2010 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Anybody got any links to installing a int. headset
    Mine is loose and wanna get it sorted.
    Looks like the top bearing is sitting proud of the headtube.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

If it's an integrated headset the bearings simply sit in the frame. Remove fork, take out old bearings, put in new ones. That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Thanks Morgan. I am just finding that out myself. Now I have read that some guys needed to sand down the inside of the headtube. My top bearing is siiting proud of the headtube and not flush. It should fit fully inside ie hidden in the headtube? Should it..... Am searching on cane creek website now to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aidanbike

Make sure you have the correct bearings, There are at least 3 integrated standards, Campagnolo, IS and an Fsa one i think.
    Cane creek and Fsa make all 3 i think so that confuses things somewhat
    This doc may help, or may confuse you even more.
    http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headset_Instructions/Other/Headset_Identification_and_SpecificationGuide.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

bcmf wrote: »
    Thanks Morgan. I am just finding that out myself. Now I have read that some guys needed to sand down the inside of the headtube. My top bearing is siiting proud of the headtube and not flush. It should fit fully inside ie hidden in the headtube? Should it..... Am searching on cane creek website now to see

Not necessarily - depends on what kind of cap/cover sits on top. There shouldn't be any big gaps when everything is in place. All this assumes you have the correct headset - there are a couple of standards.

[Secrets of the pros]
    You could always leave the top-cap off compltely...
    1274344653335-1veoeajpd1cl3-500-90-500-70.jpg
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/pro-bike-burry-standers-specialized-s-works-stumpjumper-carbon-ht-29er-26230?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRGENHOME

yea i am begining to think that I may have the wrong type of headset.

• Advertisement

top cap fits fine as does bottom bearing. The top bearing has play in it and does not sit well in the headtube. It is a cane creek IS-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yup, sounds like you have the wrong bearings. Check the chamfer on the old and the new ones (if you have the old ones). I picked up a set of bearings, same ID, OD and depth as my old ones but the chamfer was much shallower. In the end they didn't sit properly on the fork crown race. I was told that this was ok despite my initial concerns and it felt fine. Headset was free to rotate but was not loose at all.

Then I hit a fast descent in the Roundwood race, tapped a brake and the front went into a wobble. Managed to save it but it scared the crap out of me. I junked the old bearings and found a better match.

Do you have the old bearings? Either get some calipers and measure them or go into a bike shop and have them pop in as many bearings as possible before you get the right fit. It is a bit like finding the right key, they all look roughly the same and some even fit in the keyhole, but only one will actually work.

no its a brand new headset into brand new frame (my ebay one) gonna have to look at the frame drawings and see what the internal champer is.

Dammit no numbers for headset on drwings

Advertisement