Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do before turning 30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thomascullen

Watch the movie ' The Bucket List ' for inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Realise that it's just another year and do things for the experience not the achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just turned 30 in the past couple of weeks.
    I've had a very very good life so far, some great friends around me, a beautiful wife, a house I love, a job I love (worked hard to get) and a really supporting family. I had a couple of aims of things to do before I was 30 (none of which were important to me as the above). Some of these aims I have achieved/completed, some are now tacked on to the "things to do before turning 40".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭charmer

Learn to speak Japanese
    Travel. Everywhere
    Couchsurf
    Try many illegal substances
    Invest in a professional camera and take amazing photos
    Learn to play an instrument
    Meet people from every walk of life
    Sleep on a beach
    Get a degree
    Do volunteer work
    Read the classics
    Complete Final Fantasy VII

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

missdeise wrote: »
    Before my 29th birthday, i'd like to make a list of things i'd like to do before I turn 30.
    Any ideas or experiences to add to the list???????

1. Get married (26/02/2011)

That looks very tame in comparison to what some people here have done, and I don't think that anybody has put "get married" on their list! Have you any ideas yourself, OP, or is getting married the be-all and end-all for you? Once you have that ring on your finger are your ambitions fulfilled?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

take all the fun drugs(at a suitable time)
    go to as many countries as possible(40+)
    learn to play an instrument
    be able to talk yourself out of trouble in a few languages
    see all the oceans
    still be in touch with old friends(the good ones)
    go to as many gigs/festivals as possible
    do some crazy jobs
    live in a few different major cities
    sleep with as many people as you can

before obviously...........

get a degree, career, wife, house, kids(maybe), life yada yada yada......
    t minus 10 years . . . . . .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Only 19 so have a little while to go yet :)

1. Travel Travel Travel (See all the wonders of the world) meet people, experience their culture eat their food :p
    2. Learn a new language (Learning Japanese at the mo)
    3. Get my driving licence
    4. Finish with my education
    5. Buy a house/Get a mortgage
    6. Start playing bass again
    7. Take up kick boxing or start going swimming regularly
    8. Read the classics
    9. Go to more gigs and travel to festivals
    10. Get married and maybe have a child depending on my financial situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

* Stop smoking
    * Live in Paris for six months
    * Get over my fear of driving; get a driver's license
    * Visit South America
    * Publish a novel
    * Fire a gun
    * Do a bungy jump (clichéd, I know!)
    * Experience Zero Gravity (there's a company in the States that can do this)

Now that I've written those down, I feel better. I did them off the top of my head, and they're all quite manageable. They're all things I've wanted to do for ages. In fact, I'm stopping smoking this week.

I didn't make lists like this before. But I've crossed a few off mine in the last four or five years -- fall in love, do a sky dive, get high in Amsterdam, visit New York, etc.

Sometimes it's good to remember what you've done and not just the things you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 irol

I have less than two weeks to go so may need to aim my sights a little lower than a lot of the suggestions on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Finish my research (just about 5-6 months left on that!).
    Quit my current part-time job, which is a misery (hopefully in the new year).
    Live and work in at least two, hopefully three, different countries.
    Do some type of long-term volunteering.
    Take a year to travel, and find my "happy place" in the world.
    Ride my bike (bicycle) to some extreme point of Europe, hopefully northwards.
    Get a motorbike and ride it to and around eastern Europe.
    Get to the North Pole (although financially this may have to wait until I'm into my 30s).
    Go on a real bobsled, which I had the opportunity to do earlier this year but chickened out. Sickened with myself now!

7.5 years to do all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some of these are gradual things, others are once off events

1. Get fit enough to do a triathalon
    2. Improve your diet.
    3. Stop watching rubbish on TV (or better still stop watching TV)
    4. Strike up conversations with strangers during the daytime if you think it won't scare them.
    5. Pick a language and learn the basics-greetings, numbers, ordering, asking for directions. Then visit a country that speaks that language and try to use your new found knowledge and body language to communicate as best as you can.
    6. Plant a tree or grow your own vegetables.
    7. Make a regular donation to a charity of your choice.
    8. Get to know your parents and siblings better.
    9. Learn to listen instead of waiting to talk.
    10. Go to a european music festival and take ecstasy.

I could have written that list... everything except No. 8 :)

I don't agree with doing things for "achievements" status, the ability to say "I did that". Only things that are applicable to your life.

Ya, there's no point doing stuff just to be able to say you've done it, I have stuff I want to do but they are things I've always wanted to do so it's a great buzz when I get to do them for various reasons: some financial - didn't think I'd be able to afford it; some physical - didn't think I'd be fit enough; some to do with fitting things in around work and other stuff and making the time and effort to do something and enjoy it.

List of stuff to do by 30 40.... seeing as I'm nearly 32 now, have done a good few things over the last 4 or 5 years that I've always wanted to

Stuff done:
    • Did the Dublin marathon twice. Was well chuffed with that just to make it around the course.
    • Learned beginners Russian a couple of years ago and went to Moscow a few months after that. It was class being able to speak a bit of the language and understand street signs etc.
    • Went hang-gliding on holidays this year - wanted to try one of the adrenalin junkie type sports and figured that was as good a place to start as any.
    • Went to Greenland on holidays on my own in the middle of winter earlier this year - it was great, have wanted to go there for years, never thought it would be possible or I could afford it, it was easier than I thought. Most people thought I was mad going there. Brilliant experience.
    • Am studying for a maths degree at the moment just for the sake of it. I've always like maths. When I tell people that though, they also think I'm a bit cracked 'cos who studies maths for fun?'
    • Having a book published in about 6 months from now, myself and a friend have been toying with the idea for the last 5 years, but never thought it would happen until this year the opportunity came up!
    • Adopted two dogs from animal shelters in the last two years. Love them, they're great little dogs and certainly make life more interesting.
    • Have been growing fruit and vegetables the last couple of years - keeping it simple, potatoes, gooseberry bushes etc. Have decided to grow maize this spring, can't wait to see how it goes. I get all excited when I see the stuff growing like it's magic, I'm very easily pleased.

Stuff still to do:
    • Would like eventually to move out of town and live in the country in a house with a little bit of land to expand on the vegetable growing - maybe venture into the world of poly tunnels and keep some ducks, chickens and pigs. I can see that being a work in progress though and maybe 5 years off. More of a long term one
    • Would also like to visit Japan and Mongolia, I'm running out of cold countries :) that's probably not going to happen for at least 2 more years though.
    • Would like to improve my cooking skills. I can cook normal meals but it would be nice to be able to do something a little bit more complicated.
    • Learn how to swim with my head in the water - I'm crap at it!
    • Would like to do some sort of night course in photography, would love to develop my own photos (despite everything being all digital these days) and generally be able to use my camera for more than point and click type stuff.
    • Do my masters, probably in maths/IT type stuff.
    • Have a big, long reading list I want to get through as well. Definitely don't have enough time for reading at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

flahavaj wrote: »
    Skydive. Exhilarating and helped me get over a fear of heights and took me co pletely out of my comfort zone. Everyone should do it.

I would love to but my retina's are already half falling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I could have written that list... everything except No. 8 :)

Ya, there's no point doing stuff just to be able to say you've done it, I have stuff I want to do but they are things I've always wanted to do so it's a great buzz when I get to do them for various reasons: some financial - didn't think I'd be able to afford it; some physical - didn't think I'd be fit enough; some to do with fitting things in around work and other stuff and making the time and effort to do something and enjoy it.

List of stuff to do by 30 40.... seeing as I'm nearly 32 now, have done a good few things over the last 4 or 5 years that I've always wanted to

Stuff done:
    • Did the Dublin marathon twice. Was well chuffed with that just to make it around the course.
    • Learned beginners Russian a couple of years ago and went to Moscow a few months after that. It was class being able to speak a bit of the language and understand street signs etc.
    • Went hang-gliding on holidays this year - wanted to try one of the adrenalin junkie type sports and figured that was as good a place to start as any.
    • Went to Greenland on holidays on my own in the middle of winter earlier this year - it was great, have wanted to go there for years, never thought it would be possible or I could afford it, it was easier than I thought. Most people thought I was mad going there. Brilliant experience.
    • Am studying for a maths degree at the moment just for the sake of it. I've always like maths. When I tell people that though, they also think I'm a bit cracked 'cos who studies maths for fun?'
    • Having a book published in about 6 months from now, myself and a friend have been toying with the idea for the last 5 years, but never thought it would happen until this year the opportunity came up!
    • Adopted two dogs from animal shelters in the last two years. Love them, they're great little dogs and certainly make life more interesting.
    • Have been growing fruit and vegetables the last couple of years - keeping it simple, potatoes, gooseberry bushes etc. Have decided to grow maize this spring, can't wait to see how it goes. I get all excited when I see the stuff growing like it's magic, I'm very easily pleased.

Stuff still to do:
    • Would like eventually to move out of town and live in the country in a house with a little bit of land to expand on the vegetable growing - maybe venture into the world of poly tunnels and keep some ducks, chickens and pigs. I can see that being a work in progress though and maybe 5 years off. More of a long term one
    • Would also like to visit Japan and Mongolia, I'm running out of cold countries :) that's probably not going to happen for at least 2 more years though.
    • Would like to improve my cooking skills. I can cook normal meals but it would be nice to be able to do something a little bit more complicated.
    • Learn how to swim with my head in the water - I'm crap at it!
    • Would like to do some sort of night course in photography, would love to develop my own photos (despite everything being all digital these days) and generally be able to use my camera for more than point and click type stuff.
    • Do my masters, probably in maths/IT type stuff.
    • Have a big, long reading list I want to get through as well. Definitely don't have enough time for reading at the moment!

Congrats on all you've achieved and good luck with what you plan.

Any info/advice on how you arranged that trip to Greenland?

It's somewhere I've always wanted to go (I thought I was the only one :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

keane2097 wrote: »
    Congrats on all you've achieved and good luck with what you plan.

Any info/advice on how you arranged that trip to Greenland?

It's somewhere I've always wanted to go (I thought I was the only one :o)

Ya they looked at me funny when I turned up on my own there and not part of a travel group... but that's a whole other story.

SAS Scandinavian Airlines Dublin to Copenhagen (or any other airline that does that route) and then Air Greenland (www.airgreenland.com) Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq. From there you can get internal flights (expensive) or stay in Kangerlussuaq and do stuff around there. All the flights were only about €800 which wasn't as expensive as I thought. All the other info you need is here: http://www.wogac.com/ PM if you want to know anything specific.

Well worth the trip, photos here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlachameleon/sets/72157623468721446/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

-learn wilderness survival skills and apply them
    -learn to paint / draw
    -create or commission a self portrait
    -live abroad for a time
    -learn another language
    -make a ridiculous promise to someone and follow though on it
    -learn magic tricks but dont show them off until you are really good
    -make something useful that you can use every day like a chair / chopping board / night stand /
    -carry a camera with you every day for a year and take at least 10 photos a day

hope that helps you find something worth doing before you turn 30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

1. Visit Paris...
    2. Chat up the best looking woman in your university...has to be done...
    3. umm, er...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

missdeise wrote: »
    Before my 29th birthday, i'd like to make a list of things i'd like to do before I turn 30.
    Any ideas or experiences to add to the list???????

1. Get married (26/02/2011)

2. Get divorced

Only kiddin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Learn a new skill or travel to a country you have always wanted to visit OP. You should also celebrate your birthday it's the beginning of a new decade!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Quite simple ones, mine.

1. Learn how to swim
    2. Learn at least one form of dance
    3. Get off my arse and actually get fit, ffs
    4. Become a fully qualified secondary level teacher
    5. Be proposed to somewhere unexpected (I know him far too well, I'll always know it's coming :()
    6. Build my own house, possibly in the shell of a really old one
    7. Have a child
    8. Get my two favourite relatives to start talking again before it's too late
    9. Do plenty of adrenaline-junkie style things i.e. bungee jump/skydive etc.
    10. Have the Amsterdam experience =D

Not necessarily in that order :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gustus

Every day do something different.. Something you wouldnt usually do. From speaking to someone to something that scares you...

You ll find that it takes more and more to feel something.. After a year you ll have a tonne of things to remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

sleep with a very fit & gorgeous woman...., probably gonna be a pro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Travel!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

Have many children.

Then you wont have time for anything else.

But you will always be busy, excited, amused, frightened, proud, annoyed etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 39 im stuck! cnt tink of gud name

grab a few mates and hit the town but hit hit it like your 15
    get high on red bull and lucozade and a few beers you nick from the local off license and get crazy knock a few doors of a few old teachers/neighbors and run down the street ,play spin the bottle (if you dont have a good night ...emm i dnt know take up knitting or sumthang old dude/dudette!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Get divorced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Punch someone you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hokuto

-Travel solo
    -Visit Japan and Iceland:D
    -Skydive/bungee jump
    -Experience many different sexual situations (!)
    -Have a place of my own (house, cottage etc.)
    -Live abroad (England, Australia,Japan)
    -Perform in front of a huge audience (singing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

aftermn wrote: »
    Have many children.

But you will always be busy, excited, amused, frightened, proud, annoyed etc etc etc

Adopt many children, there are plenty of children on the planet, don't just bring another one cause you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

aftermn wrote: »
    Have many children.

Or money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Create a twitter account.

Advertisement