Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus Style - 1.6 TDCI Diesel Hatchback

• 26-05-2010 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

So... just ordered brand new from the garage forecourt. (no not me :()

thoughts ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

robbie_998 wrote: »
    thoughts ?

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Confab wrote: »
    What?
    EPM wrote: »
    Nope

thoughts on that car as a car :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

robbie_998 wrote: »
    thoughts on that car as a car :cool:

The Focus is a good all-round car. The 1.6 diesel isn't exactly quick, and the Style isn't well equipped compared to dearer models. Foci (and Fords in general) are not as well finished or made from the same nice plastics inside as a Golf, say, but are streets ahead of the Japanese on that front.

If I wanted a mainstream family hatch, it'd be this or the Golf.

But I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this the all new Focus or the existing one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

bazz26 wrote: »

All new I believe.

Compare.. ****e about it.. discuss it.... slate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Not sure how their diesels are, I drive a 1.6 petrol. Best car I've ever owned, mainly due to having bought it from new so I know it hasn't been driven to sh!te. 5 years later and 75,000km and not one thing wrong with it. I could point some flaws of course, obviously there are nicer built cars. But I don't think you'll find one that drives as well as the focus. Best suspension, best gear box, best handling and for me extremely reliable.

As the ad says, if you want a car with doors that go clunk then buy a golf, but if you want a problem free drivers car then buy a focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

bazz26 wrote: »

Not on sale until March 2011!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The new Ecoboost petrol engines will be interesting....wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

the 1.6tdci is a citroen engine.. I have 2.. should be good for 60mpg.

Focus is a good car - look how many they sell. You can't sell so many car by accident!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Focus 1.6Tdci Style is a cracking all round car. The 1.6 diesel is one of the best small diesel engines from any of the manufacturers, and despite being only 90ps it's more usuable and feels quicker than most of the competition in that sector (VAG 1.6Tdi, Renault 1.5Dci).

With standard spec now including Alloys, Fogs, A/C and Bluetooth, the only things missing (IMHO) are a leather steering wheel (can't stand plastic ones) and an armrest.

Even though the Astra is newer, the Focus is still a better car (again IMHO) and the only only car in that sector which has a (forecasted) lower cost of total ownership is the Megane or Fluence, and that's only because Renault have huge discounts available.

The Fords are going brilliantly for us this year, even though there are newer and cheaper cars available, mainly because of the additional specification.

You shouldn't have to wait too long for a new Focus unless it's an unusual colour - they are one of the few vehicles currently available ex. stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

R.O.R wrote: »
    The Focus 1.6Tdci Style is a cracking all round car. The 1.6 diesel is one of the best small diesel engines from any of the manufacturers, and despite being only 90ps it's more usuable and feels quicker than most of the competition in that sector (VAG 1.6Tdi, Renault 1.5Dci).

With standard spec now including Alloys, Fogs, A/C and Bluetooth, the only things missing (IMHO) are a leather steering wheel (can't stand plastic ones) and an armrest.

Even though the Astra is newer, the Focus is still a better car (again IMHO) and the only only car in that sector which has a (forecasted) lower cost of total ownership is the Megane or Fluence, and that's only because Renault have huge discounts available.

The Fords are going brilliantly for us this year, even though there are newer and cheaper cars available, mainly because of the additional specification.

You shouldn't have to wait too long for a new Focus unless it's an unusual colour - they are one of the few vehicles currently available ex. stock.

What else is in this price bracket? (Small engine diesel)
    My dad was thinking of switching back to a diesel.He had one of these 1.6 diesels as a rental though and he found it very underpowered.(He's 65 :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What else is in this price bracket?

The most direct rival is the Golf.

What else is in this price bracket? (Small engine diesel)
    My dad was thinking of switching back to a diesel.He had one of these 1.6 diesels as a rental though and he found it very underpowered.(He's 65 :p )

What's he coming from if he finds that underpowered? Seriously, I really love driving these little things as they are a hoot to throw around, and will keep pace with most other things on the road up to 120km/h - any acceleration above that is a bit laboured. Stick and armrest in one and it would do me for the 120km's a day.

Other stuff around the same price would be:
    The new Astra, but the 1.7 is pants (lag central) and you need to work the 1.3 (not available yet) to get anything out of it.

Octavia 1.6Tdi - at least Ambiente spec to get A/C. The engine needs a few miles on it before it starts to perform. Much more lag in that than the Ford unit, and nowhere near as fun to drive - but it has it's advantages.

Megane / Grand Megane / Fluence. Cheap as chips as the moment and the specification is pretty good too. I personally can't get comfy in any Renault so struggle to recommend them. Engine isn't bad, but sounds a bit whiney at motorway speeds.

Kia C'eed - only thing out there that I rate as having a better engine than the Focus (in that bracket of course), but the interior plastics are pretty nasty. I'd take a Pro C'eed though in the high spec.

I've just quoted a load of this size vehicle and the Renaults come out cheapest, then the Focus just about beats the Octavia by a couple of € a month. Based on running costs and resale value after 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The most direct rival is the Golf.
    R.O.R wrote: »
    What's he coming from if he finds that underpowered? Seriously, I really love driving these little things as they are a hoot to throw around, and will keep pace with most other things on the road up to 120km/h - any acceleration above that is a bit laboured. Stick and armrest in one and it would do me for the 120km's a day.

Other stuff around the same price would be:
    The new Astra, but the 1.7 is pants (lag central) and you need to work the 1.3 (not available yet) to get anything out of it.

Octavia 1.6Tdi - at least Ambiente spec to get A/C. The engine needs a few miles on it before it starts to perform. Much more lag in that than the Ford unit, and nowhere near as fun to drive - but it has it's advantages.

Megane / Grand Megane / Fluence. Cheap as chips as the moment and the specification is pretty good too. I personally can't get comfy in any Renault so struggle to recommend them. Engine isn't bad, but sounds a bit whiney at motorway speeds.

Kia C'eed - only thing out there that I rate as having a better engine than the Focus (in that bracket of course), but the interior plastics are pretty nasty. I'd take a Pro C'eed though in the high spec.

I've just quoted a load of this size vehicle and the Renaults come out cheapest, then the Focus just about beats the Octavia by a couple of € a month. Based on running costs and resale value after 3 years.

Big Diesels/Big petrols/Heavy Machinery :D

He won't go VAG tho and definitely won't go Skoda. The Kia I'm guessing would lose alot in depreciation over the next few years

The Kia I'm guessing would lose alot in depreciation over the next few years

I'm not sure it will be as bad as most people think - but I wouldn't be planning on that though ;) 7 year warranty is a plus, but you do have to religiously stick to the manufacturers service schedule.

Advertisement