Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server has become a DC

Options
  • 26-05-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, could do with some help here.

A customer is running a Windows 2003 server accessed by three XP clients. The client machines are touchscreen epos tills accessing an oracle db on the server.

The issue is that we can't log on to the server, the usual local admin account isn't an option as in the "Log into" box only contains a domain name which happens to be COMPANYNAME - there is no way to drop down to the local machine name.

I have no idea how it became a domain controller (suspect meddling) and do not need/want it to be a domain controller but can't log in to run dcpromo. Any ideas on how to get logged in to sort this out? I have run pogostick to remove the local admin password but there is still no option to log in locally!

Help :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On the DC, the domain Administrator account is the local administrator account. Anyone in the Domain Admins group can log on and reset the local admin password, then log back in as the domain Administrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

A DC does not have a "local" Admin account.
    seamus wrote: »
    On the DC, the domain Administrator account is the local administrator account. Anyone in the Domain Admins group can log on and reset the local admin password, then log back in as the domain Administrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

are you sure the username isnt written in DOMAIN\user format or username@domain.xxx format?
    These options will grey the DOMAIN drop down box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oops, slight zombie, I suspect the OP has resolved by now.

Advertisement