Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time of Day us Irish Eat At

Options
  • 26-05-2010 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Do we have an eating pattern?

I ask because my Spanish room-mate thinks its strange that I eat dinner at 6p.m and have a light supper later on. But to me its weird to have dinner at 9 p.m unless you're out at a restraunt. Its a never ending discussion.

Anyone care to share their eating pattern?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Europeans tend to eat much later than us. I think it's typical in the UK and Ireland to eat dinner in and around 6/7pm, whereas in Europe it'd be more common to eat at 8 or 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I'm Irish and I still think it's mad to have dinner at 6! Are you not starving again before you go to bed? I like to have mine around 9 or 10 but often end up not having it until later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

moonflower wrote: »
    I'm Irish and I still think it's mad to have dinner at 6! Are you not starving again before you go to bed? I like to have mine around 9 or 10 but often end up not having it until later.

Do you work weird shifts or something? Assuming a standard 9-5 job, you'd have breakfast at about 8, lunch at about 1 then dinner at 6 or 7 before going to sleep at about 11. I'm a lot less likely to be hungry between 7 and 11 than 1 and 10! Unless you eat more than 3 meals a day, or don't start your day until noon?

It's actually not a great idea to eat shortly before you sleep because your body will be working at digesting it, which means you're more likely to sleep badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Nope, that's how I've always eaten and how everyone in my house eats. On a day that I have college I'll have breakfast around 9, a snack around 12, lunch when I get home at 4 or 5 and dinner at 10 then to bed at 1 or 2.
    During the summer then I get up later, maybe at 11 or 12 so I just throw breakfast and lunch into one meal at around 2. I'm not usually hungry when I wake up late for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cagney88

Phew!

He's seriously starting to give me a complex about it. He assumes since he doesn't see me during the day that I don't eat dinner! Insane.

I go to bed at 10 so eating dinner at 8 or 9 is really just not an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I hate eating late.

I have my main meal at around 1pm and then something lighter in the early evening. I am hungry and need energy during the day...not in the middle of the night, so it doesn't make sense to me to eat after 8 o clock.

The only exception is when I've been drinking and become starving after midnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jackie Healy Rae "ates his dinner in the middle of the day".

Personally, I like to eat between 6 and 8.
    If I eat to soon before bed, I tend to sweat through out the night, so if I eat late I need to take a walk or something.
    I'll often snack around 10 or 11 on something small but tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Typically we eat when we come in from work..

Ireland / Uk usually 6-7
    Spain / Rest of Europe (because of there siesta) would be later aka 9-10 etc..!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Spanish and Italians in work will tend to eat late. For them they must eat when its dark so this can lead to 10 o'clock dinners in the Summer. The sun would make eating dinner an uncomfortable experience in the Mediterranean regions.

That being said, I'd usually eat at around 8 in the evening if not until about 10.

I just can't cook quick enough to be having 6 o'clock dinners.

Advertisement