Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Defence

Options
  • 26-05-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anybody here volunteer with the Civil Defence?
    I'm an OFA instructor and IHF instructor, planning on doin EMT in the next year or so and fancy getting involved with a vol for some experience!

Was on the website this morning and learnt a lot!

Anyone have any experience what its like etc?

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

I am only just joining CD so cant really tell you what its like yet ha. There was an induction recently for people on the waiting list since around Christmas time.
    We where told that there is 100's on the waiting list so you better get your name down quick
    Some of us where brought( If we where free) to a training exercise in Malahide on Sunday to see everything in action.
    BTW this is Dublin Civil Defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Have a few years in the organisation. What do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

civdef wrote: »
    Have a few years in the organisation. What do you want to know?
    Just what kind of hours you need to volunteer, have you been called in to assist much? what the people are like etc! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

What the people are like all comes down to the local unit you join really.

You're expected to give around 2 hrs per week for training, plus the occasional day now and again for duties or training. It's fairly flexible once a person has a general good level of attendance.

Being called in to assist also depends on the area you're in. Some counties do a lot more planned duties than other, so will get more practical experience at the likes of first aid. Similarly, some counties regularly assist with searches and other emergencies, so have more experience of that.

It all depends on your local area - the best plan is to get down to your local unit and ask plenty of questions and try to get a feel for the atmosphere in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 iron_man

CD is a great organisation, there is something for everyone, first aid, fire, boats, heights rescue, welfare, and more. There is lots of great people in CD and you will end up making great mates and meeting many different people. And its great craic!
    You also get the chance to work along side different organisations such as HSE paramedics and nurses, Gardai and different Rescue groups. You will get great experience!

• Advertisement

Anyone care to shed some insight into what the "training" is or incorporates?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ncasey90

Hi folks

Really interested in Join the Civil Defence!

Any info on recruiting would be highly appriciated???
    Anybody got some?

Cheers,

Neil,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Einstein wrote: »
    Hey all,

Anybody here volunteer with the Civil Defence?
    I'm an OFA instructor and IHF instructor, planning on doin EMT in the next year or so and fancy getting involved with a vol for some experience!

Was on the website this morning and learnt a lot!

Anyone have any experience what its like etc?

Cheers! :)
    Hello there Einstein glad to hear you are interested in joining the Civil Defence I myself have been a member for the last eight years and I love it. I see you are a OFA instructor who did you become a OFA instructor with. You can do your EMT with the Civil Defence we have two in our division and we have six more going for it also we have one that has moved over to the HSE. I myself am in two units which are Ambulance and Search & Rescue/Heights the training we recieve is second to none. You will be tought how to drive properly and when to use Blues and Twos as some people get what we call blue light syndrome. What part of the country are you from ? The only thing is you might have to start from fresh as the all the cpr and other parts of first aid have changed you will also be trained as a CFR ( Cardiac First Responder ) which is great . If you have any questions about it pm me ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

iron_man wrote: »
    CD is a great organisation, there is something for everyone, first aid, fire, boats, heights rescue, welfare, and more. There is lots of great people in CD and you will end up making great mates and meeting many different people. And its great craic!
    You also get the chance to work along side different organisations such as HSE paramedics and nurses, Gardai and different Rescue groups. You will get great experience!

+1
    Totally agree with iron man, its a fantastic orginisation, with great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

I would like to join too but have asked for information twice and have heard nothing yet. I requested info through their website about 3 or 4 weeks ago and today again. Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

andrewire wrote: »
    I would like to join too but have asked for information twice and have heard nothing yet. I requested info through their website about 3 or 4 weeks ago and today again. Anyone?

From your profile i take it you live in dublin. Ring HQ 677 2699 and ask about recruitment.

CD is getting swamped with applications right now. Since so many people are unemployed etc. More and more are applying to CD which is a great but it takes time to go through them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Tripp wrote: »
    From your profile i take it you live in dublin. Ring HQ 677 2699 and ask about recruitment.

CD is getting swamped with applications right now. Since so many people are unemployed etc. More and more are applying to CD which is a great but it takes time to go through them all.

Thanks Tripp. Will call them ASAP.

Advertisement