Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Dev on Mac

Options
  • 26-05-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi,

I am starting a new job soon as a java dev, I heard through the grapevine that they are setting up a Mac environment for me.. I've developed on Linux & Windows before but haven't really done much on Mac's. apart from image manipulation and stuff like that.

Seen as its java I cant really see any major problems.. I think ill be using eclipse - i assume that's the same across all platforms..

Is there anything I should be aware of before I start - or should I ask for a new machine with Linux/Windows on it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Hi Casey_81

All MACs come preinstalled with Java running on them so you dont have to worry about having the latest version of java on your mac. When a new version is released it will automatically update for you.

I have done some java programming on my mac (just learning java in my spare time) and I use eclipse and it works great on it. I've also programmed java via the terminal so you have the best of both worlds.

Enjoy the MAC. Once you go mac you never go back (to sh*t windows) <---in my opinion anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Thanks for that, Sounds handy enough so.. that's a relief.
    Won't take much to get me away from windows... only stayed with it so long because MSVC is a great IDE for c/c++/c#

Advertisement