Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Wave

Options
  • 26-05-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

A post on the Meteor forum seems to imply that Meteor will be getin the Samsung Wave when it launches. jaut thought i'd post this as im due an upgrade soon and wondering whether to hold off or go for the HTC Desire. Post below from Meteor forum.

Hi all,

As I'm sure some of you are already aware the Samsung Wave will be hitting our shores soon .......No pun intended!

We don't have a confirmed release date just yet but we'll keep you posted as soon as we know for sure.

Thanks
    Meteor talk to us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Pondering this myself.

The Wave will have a better next generation SuperOLED screen, though it's only 3.3 inches compared to the Desire's 3.7.

The Wave will be running Samsung's new Bada OS, which is an attempt by them to create a third force in app stores, after Apple and Google (I'm not sure Nokia's Ovistore would count as a force).

The problem is that initially the app selection will be very limited and it's hard to tell how popular Bada will become. On the other hand, Samsung will sell a lot of these phones, possibly forcing developers to pay Bada more attention. Also, it could be that the apps you want are available.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Bought one today on Meteor, only €30 renewing my Surf Plan. Holly feck it is the dogs... :P The video an specs are phenominal, UI's is smooth, snappy and very user friendly. Check out the GSMArena Review it made up my mind without a doubt to go for it an not HTC Desire. Trebble the price and as you'd know by now from the Meteor Forum there's crazy issues with all HTC's at the min and they're no where near where they should be on resolving them issues, see here for to see them on the Meteor Forum. HTC was my first choice to get when my conrtact ended today but Samsung have swooped in there and won me over.

This baby is a Beast! Can't wait to report back about here, Back soon with more info ;) it'll be a while before I get to grips with the new Bada OS, post as I find... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CCOLGAN

Yeah got this last Friday with 3 and I love it. the UI is so smooth and the video playing capabilities are great. Call quality is great compared to my LG Viewty.. I really like the Wave so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi do you use Three Skype with it and does Skype continue to run when minimised

Also how do you find the browser, seen some reviews that text difficult to view
    CCOLGAN wrote: »
    Yeah got this last Friday with 3 and I love it. the UI is so smooth and the video playing capabilities are great. Call quality is great compared to my LG Viewty.. I really like the Wave so far :)

k123456 wrote: »

Only got her today at lunch dunno bout Skype, not a big fan. AFAIK Tap on a particular piece of text and it should zoom into that block of text also pinch zoom is A1 so no trouble there. Check GSMArena for a full good review :cool:

See page 3 on the GSMArena Wave Review, it has a video and go to the 4th min in it and you'll see the Tap a Block of Text thingy, pretty cool I must say!

• Advertisement

ixtlan wrote: »
    The problem is that initially the app selection will be very limited and it's hard to tell how popular Bada will become. On the other hand, Samsung will sell a lot of these phones, possibly forcing developers to pay Bada more attention. Also, it could be that the apps you want are available.

Ix.

Apologes for ze double post... :o

Bada are running a €2.7Million Prize fund for Developers to develop new Apps for their store so I wouldn't say it'll take too long for it muster up a few 1000 soon enough. I'd say every entry that works fine and is of any use but not a winner will without doubt get tossed in to the store too :cool: See here

Samsung are far from fools, I'll bet my house that it'll out do Ovi Store(Corner shop more like!!!) :p by the end of the year. Nokia keep poppin out OS after OS, ffs they're just about to release Symbian 3, 4 is in the pipe line and now they want to bring out Meego(Not Maemo). Cum on d feck, pick one, stick with it and make it good, t hell with all this Beta Testing for Nokia. I was a loyal Nokia fan for over 15 year, buying at least 2 High End fones a year(Sometimes 3) and got sick of Beta Testing All of them so now I'm sticking with the Wave, what more would yea want with a phone ffs :eek: :P it's even a Router ffs :cool: :D:D:D:D:D :cool:

I am not really into skype to be honest. But to answer your question, skype does seem to run when minimised. I opened a few apps (including skype) and when I open the task manager all applications are still running...

The browser is grand. The only real nuisance is that when you zoom the words don't auto run so you need to scroll as you read each line if you know what I mean? But to be honest I am grand with it.. I really love this phone :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

got one of these on vodafone myself, find it pretty decent. it's got gmail and facebook integration, which are the most important aspects to me. it's also got a great screen and the wireless AP is v.handy. oh and the browser is fine, no issues at all with it, and the pinch zoom is slick.

i guess this phone will really live or die by how quickly samsung develops their apps store. (and sure if they don't, it's specs are so similar to the galaxy S, that an android port is quite possible.)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

I was really close to buying one, but for the moment it really lacks on the IM side (no skype and some other IM I would like to see on board).
    We'll see if Bada attracts developers of Nimbuzz, Fring or even Skype.

To the person owning 3 version of Wave, could you have a go and test what is the quality of Skype?

How do you guys find battery life?

Hi Pardon my ignorance, what is wireless AP

Regarding Nimbuzz and Fring, if these dont work or the "VoipCheap" Mobile App wont, is there a way to make SIP/Voip calls directly from the phone, without
    Nimbuzz, Fring or "VoipCheap" Mobile App

• Advertisement

That's the problem, there is no VOIP or SIP app or functionality for the Wave at the moment... Like many other things, which are missing as well...

Seems, that most of the new apps on www.samsungapps.com are games and "entertainment"...

Wireless AP is wireless access point, basically phone acts as a wi fi router, you can connect to it using for example your laptops wifi connection and use phones EDGE/3G internet connection. From what I know, it supports up to 2-3 devices connected to it at the same time, which is a nice feature.

valdigre wrote: »

Still on Full since fully charging er yesterday and I've been banging away at it non-stop! :eek: :cool: Wifi, 3G, Music, Web, Camera, Video, Fiddling and Fondling an she's no sign of droppin so far :cool: GSM Arena say they got 3 days an TBH it's on it's way to it :D
    That's the problem, there is no VOIP or SIP app or functionality for the Wave at the moment... Like many other things, which are missing as well...

Seems, that most of the new apps on www.samsungapps.com are games and "entertainment"...

Wireless AP is wireless access point, basically phone acts as a wi fi router, you can connect to it using for example your laptops wifi connection and use phones EDGE/3G internet connection. From what I know, it supports up to 2-3 devices connected to it at the same time, which is a nice feature.

The Router option is simply genius for a phone, but tbh why route a wireless router to your phone and then route it out again lol, still a nice little feature! Wouldn't recommend using you Network Data unless you've Unlimited :)

The Apps will fly in as you can see from my post above, App Store started with Nothing, Market Started with Nothing and Even OVI ffs has gotten a bit of shop full(ish:rolleyes:) and NONE did a prize fund like Samsung are and plus they wouldn't be that stupid, they know they have to fill up quick smart or... well wouldn't like to think they won't now I have the Wave :eek: :P

One thing I don't like is that about 2 of the Widgets fit beside each other and they all sit kinda off and not really in unison, might be a wrong way of putting it. They seem off and not even, even if yea try to get them to :rolleyes:

Still she'll keep me goin for a few more months :P

I was really close to buying one, but for the moment it really lacks on the IM side (no skype and some other IM I would like to see on board).
    We'll see if Bada attracts developers of Nimbuzz, Fring or even Skype.

To the person owning 3 version of Wave, could you have a go and test what is the quality of Skype?

Did the echo test on skype and it was grand. Actually think I will use skype more often now as it looks pretty well integrated into the phone as in my call logs I can see my skype call listed. This is probably standard for all 3 sets but this is the first time i used skype... :)

Battery life so far is good, better than my last phone. I am getting around 4 days with light enough usage... but the screen is amazing - better than an iphone in my oppinion,

If I will be getting it, I will opt for sim free version.

The 3 version has Skype, which a nice to have feature but their plans are not that good in terms of minutes and data usage.

Another thing is, that sim free versions will be frequently updated with latest firmwares however those branded by mobile operators - definitely not that often (if at all)...

you can flash the phone to unbranded s/w, i did it with mine, which was a vodafone branded version. it came sim-free though, which apparently isquite inportant if you want to flash it yourself. just google samsung firmwares, you'll find them easily enough

If I will be getting it, I will opt for sim free version.

The 3 version has Skype, which a nice to have feature but their plans are not that good in terms of minutes and data usage.

Another thing is, that sim free versions will be frequently updated with latest firmwares however those branded by mobile operators - definitely not that often (if at all)...

Shouldn't be that long with Meteor, I've been onto them for the past year about 5800 firmwares and have got them down to 1 month and they release them. Before hand, jasus they didn't even know they had to approve them :rolleyes:
    deadduck wrote: »
    you can flash the phone to unbranded s/w, i did it with mine, which was a vodafone branded version. it came sim-free though, which apparently isquite inportant if you want to flash it yourself. just google samsung firmwares, you'll find them easily enough

Much different to Nokia, as in just change the product code is it?

check out here

http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/WEBPROTECT-s8500.htm

and here

http://www.samsungfirmwareworld.com/samsung-s8500-f67.html

it's not difficult, but READ the guides first, you can seriously muck up your phone if you're not careful!!

Will Cabbage work on the Wave

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Here is a rather nice little 'user' review for those wondering if the Wave is really any good:

http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/2010/06/samsung-wave-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cdc2711

how does it compare to the htc legend anybody ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Will Cabbage work on the Wave

Not until the developer ports it to the Bada OS, and then arranges for it to be available on the Samsung app store.

I have no idea how difficult either of those tasks is, and with the small number of Bada handsets in the wild it would be understandable that developers will not be in a rush to do such ports.

I am however very interested in this, just to know how difficult such ports might be.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Milo Minderbinder

Hello All,

First time poster so forgive any blunders.

Got a Wave at the weekend and absolutely love it; does all you need and more than you thought you would ever see in a phone.

I have a question however: How do you delete/remove apps that I have downloaded ?

the app store has loads of good ones but some do not work or are never really going to be of use to me eg I downloaded a calculator which tells me my monthly repayments if I were to take a personal loan out in India. Usefull perhaps, but not somthing I will likely do barring a fairly major lifestyle change.

I have tried everything I can possibly think of but they just wont go away......

any help appreciated...

Milo.

Hello All,

First time poster so forgive any blunders.

Got a Wave at the weekend and absolutely love it; does all you need and more than you thought you would ever see in a phone.

I have a question however: How do you delete/remove apps that I have downloaded ?

the app store has loads of good ones but some do not work or are never really going to be of use to me eg I downloaded a calculator which tells me my monthly repayments if I were to take a personal loan out in India. Usefull perhaps, but not somthing I will likely do barring a fairly major lifestyle change.

I have tried everything I can possibly think of but they just wont go away......

any help appreciated...

Milo.

hit edit on the top left of your menu screen, downloaded apps should have a red minus sign on them them. just hit this to delete any apps you don't want

thanks for that, would you believe although I had tried doing that many times and tapping it in more ways than a busy plumber but on your advice I gave it one more go......

and succeded in deleting 2 !! ...... TYVM

BUT... still the red line comes up fine but when I try long taps, short taps, 2 taps .... I just cant get rid of any more, it is just something I cannot do.....

I am at a loss.

I got a memory card this morning; 4gig for €10; now I can start letting the Navigation rule my life.

well you can only delete one's that have the red line, but it sounds like you do, so i don't kow why it's not working.

unless they are running in the background. a long press on the menu button will bring up the apps running, so you can see if that the problem.

thanks for that, would you believe although I had tried doing that many times and tapping it in more ways than a busy plumber but on your advice I gave it one more go......

and succeded in deleting 2 !! ...... TYVM

BUT... still the red line comes up fine but when I try long taps, short taps, 2 taps .... I just cant get rid of any more, it is just something I cannot do.....

I am at a loss.

I got a memory card this morning; 4gig for €10; now I can start letting the Navigation rule my life.

Do you know where to get the Maps for it instead of downloading as you go or are they pre-installed? Haven't started my Navigation Trial yet as I've read it's very very expensive! Wonder ow long before they cop on that they'd need to give it for FREE to make an impact on Andriod or Nokia. IMHO if they don't then it's doomed to say the least.

Any good sites for content like Themes and the likes...??? Getting a bit bored with er already! Only the Camera has me hooked at the min. Can't even open a PDF Book :eek: Hope I didn't buy the wrong device :rolleyes: maybe the extra few shillings for the Desire should have been the way to go :confused: Hope Not :o

Ndrive should be available soon, and it's pretty reasonable, €20 a year or something, and the maps are stored on the phone, so no mental data charges.

but i agree completely, if samsung don't kop on, android (although i'm not so sure about nokia), will leave them in the dust. i really hope not, as it's a great phone and all i think it's missing is a decent gps app. i can't find the pricing for the pre-bundled route66, but i've read it's expensive alright.

I was going to try and download the maps from WI-FI at home tonight; will let you know how I get on.

With Previous Nokia phones i used to download Apps, Games etc from Pirate Bay. Got a few great things that way , but a lot of rubbish too.

I would say that it will not belong till Samsung come up with a cost effective solution for navigation..... the way things are heading in general I could forsee a time when it will be free but your phone will shout at you when you pass a Starbucks to remind you that you have not drank coffee in 28 minutes... "this message was brought to you by your free Navigation Aid from Starbucks; Mappachino."

I would say that it will not belong till Samsung come up with a cost effective solution for navigation..... the way things are heading in general I could forsee a time when it will be free but your phone will shout at you when you pass a Starbucks to remind you that you have not drank coffee in 28 minutes... "this message was brought to you by your free Navigation Aid from Starbucks; Mappachino."

lmao :D;)

there is a site www.Samsungmobile.com but for the life of me I can't register an it's really gettin on my tits at this stage. Excuse the expression :) Everything goes well with it until you enter the Letters in the NOT A BOT Thingy and no matter how many times you click the Correct Text it says you've entered them wrong. Very annoying I must say :mad: Could someone else test this out please...? Truely would appreciate it ;)

• Advertisement

Dunno what the problem is ; I got in first time; all caps if that helps.

Anyway it is just the same stuff as on your phone app wise but with a lot of paid-for ones at eye-watering prices. £15 for some that look rubbish.

I will have a good look later but I would not get too excited about it.

Advertisement