Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Wave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Thanks! I re-read the list of firmwares and realised that there was a different sequence to the XE and XX versions and that JID was the first full 1.2 version. I'm just downloading JID, JK1 and JL2 now.
    Still have that question about the BOOTFILES_EVTSF folder - or do I just not select boot install on the intermediate folders, just on the JID version?

My phone is definitely NOT network or sim locked according to the code string. I checked that before I ever used Kies to do the O2 version update.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

fat-tony wrote: »
    Thanks! I re-read the list of firmwares and realised that there was a different sequence to the XE and XX versions and that JID was the first full 1.2 version. I'm just downloading JID, JK1 and JL2 now.
    Still have that question about the BOOTFILES_EVTSF folder - or do I just not select boot install on the intermediate folders, just on the JID version?

My phone is definitely NOT network or sim locked according to the code string. I checked that before I ever used Kies to do the O2 version update.

@fat_tony:
    Can you wait a bit and I'll get back to you on that one

@xtal191:
    Let me double check and confirm this for you in a few...

That folder BOOTFILES_EVTSF may not be an issue after all. It was present on the XE firmware, but does not appear on the XX versions. The JID firmware has the boot files in a folder called "BOOTFILES" :)
    The other intermediate firmware (XXJK1 and XXJL2) do not have any bootfile data.

I'm about to back up my phone data in Kies before I start the flashing. I'll wait until you post back in any case!

Ok Guys....

Here's the screenshot of what Multiloader should look like for a full JID installation of Bada 1.2....

samsungflash.png

Stage 1 complete - upgraded to JID ok. Got a bit of a fright after I unplugged from the USB as it seemed "stuck" on the Bada logo. Once I powered cycled it, it seemed to come up ok.

edit - just downloading XXJJ9 - might just stick with that at the moment as per your recommendation of good performing firmware. Is there a "changelog" anywhere which identifies what's changed in each release?

• Advertisement

Stage 1 complete - upgraded to JID ok. Got a bit of a fright after I unplugged from the USB as it seemed "stuck" on the Bada logo. Once I powered cycled it, it seemed to come up ok.

edit - just downloading XXJJ9 - might just stick with that at the moment as per your recommendation of good performing firmware. Is there a "changelog" anywhere which identifies what's changed in each release?

Well, changelogs are hard to come by, the most that generally constitutes a change log is by checking on the forums such as samfirmware.com, mysamsungwave.com and badaforums.net.

Samsung does not and will never disclose change logs for some bizarre reason, I suppose its down to their culture - being an Asian company, they are very tricky to deal with... (Mind you, I am not affiliated with them or have any association)

Have been hanging out on forums since the summer... so feel free to shoot up a question either here or on mysamsungwave.com and badaforums.net as well, generally those three sites are generally the best for that kind of information sharing on whatnots with respect to different firmwares.... :D

Have fun with it and enjoy it....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cros

Thanks t0mm13b - I was wondering about all of this.

I've got an Irish network's custom (non-XX) JI1 and really want Bada 1.2.

If I put on S8500XXJID and then S8500XXJJ, does that remove all product codes and branding?

As in, will it be legit and XX'd enough to upgrade officially through Kies from then on out? ...or is it forever tainted and must all future updates be through multiloader?

Also, do these particular full firmwares include Route 66/Samsung LBS, as my JI1 does?

cros wrote: »
    Thanks t0mm13b - I was wondering about all of this.

I've got an Irish network's custom (non-XX) JI1 and really want Bada 1.2.

If I put on S8500XXJID and then S8500XXJJ, does that remove all product codes and branding?

As in, will it be legit and XX'd enough to upgrade officially through Kies from then on out? ...or is it forever tainted and must all future updates be through multiloader?

Also, do these particular full firmwares include Route 66/Samsung LBS, as my JI1 does?

Ok, for starters, when you flash it yourself, ALL branding and associate operator junk goes out the window. Period. :)

Now the next point, in order to understand what's happening in this area in respect of firmware updates...

Samsung deliberately leaks the firmware indirectly through samfirmware.com, by (I believe) a russian dude who has direct contact with someone on the inside... OK, the firmware you download from that site are genuinely Samsung firmware - no questions asked... they (Samsung) have their finger on that site and monitoring for feedback on the firmware, criticisms, suggestions etc that users post there... you will be about (I reckon) three months ahead of Kies upgrading your handset... as that is bleeding edge, JJ9, which I am on, was out in October, the official Bada 1.2 firmware is actually coming out through kies in some european countries, which are a lot more smoother than the bleeding edge...

European countries are the first target naturally (Since Samsung's European HQ is in Germany), Asia, Australia to follow next and India the last.

I like to live on the bleeding edge of technology and am sure you do to...

Historically, Kies v1, had issues that caused pain and grief, some versions actually managed to brick a few handsets, those who survived it, declared Multiloader to be a helluva lot more safer than Kies (that shows the level of mistrust towards Kies). I have had the privilege to disassemble Kies and look through it in horror of the code (have 15+ years of development experience) and the code was absolutely a botched, horrific and had the hallmarks of a one-man job, I have said it before in IRC and on forums, the code should make an appearance on thedailywtf.com.... yes its that bad....

Samsung through samfirmware.com was listening, and released a completely revamped Kies v2 which resembles iTunes... now, as I am on JJ9, I am checking my handset everyday now, using Kies v2 to see what would happen.

I did point out on another forum, When Kies says there's no firmware update available or a similar message, this is going to sound a paradox - trust kies in checking, as each release of Kies, is tied fixedly to a firmware version release and based on your handset's region, it will check there and then.

Ultimately the choice is yours, you want to be ahead of the official firmware releases and be prepared to take on some glitches, go ahead and use multiloader, if you want to have a stable handset, go with Kies, but whatever you do, always make sure you have the latest and greatest version, speaking of which, it would be best to monitor samfirmware.com, as they usually have Kies offline installer available to download in one go, another spot is samsungapps.com, pick your region, I use the UK and download it - which is better than letting Kies do it themselves (painfully slow and times out and proclaims there's no internet connect like huh?!)

I will post here about Kies v2 upgrades once the servers are loaded up for Ireland/UK firmware upgrades... :D

P.S: Not all firmwares have Route66 or extras... so you will lose them, most firmwares are bundled with Asphalt5, but in JID or was it JJ9 (cannot remember), the excess fat was trimmed off it...(extra apps that is...not the fat... :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

t0mm13b wrote: »

I will post here about Kies v2 upgrades once the servers are loaded up for Ireland/UK firmware upgrades... :D

is this why it's saying "This version of the device cannot be updated" for me?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

metalfest wrote: »
    is this why it's saying "This version of the device cannot be updated" for me?
    :)

Yes if you are running S8500XXJEF like me (dial *#1234# to see)

I really would like to have the Swype or "continuous input" texting and the gps improvements (I find the gp almost useless on the current version) that come with 1.2

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Yes if you are running S8500XXJEF like me (dial *#1234# to see)

I really would like to have the Swype or "continuous input" texting and the gps improvements (I find the gp almost useless on the current version) that come with 1.2

yeah i'm running the same as you, why can't we update the phone? :confused: it's not like there hasn't been updates prior to 1.2 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cros

P.S: Not all firmwares have Route66 or extras... so you will lose them, most firmwares are bundled with Asphalt5, but in JID or was it JJ9 (cannot remember), the excess fat was trimmed off it...(extra apps that is...not the fat... tongue.gif)

@t0mm13b, fat-tony: You've both done the full JID -> JJ9; any chance you could double-check if you've still got Navigator/Route66?

It's a feature I'd really prefer to keep.

@t0mm13b, fat-tony: You've both done the full JID -> JJ9; any chance you could double-check if you've still got Navigator/Route66?

I'm on JJ9 all right - decided I would stay slightly behind the "bleeding edge";)
    Got the "swype" text input all right. Haven't noticed any other enhancements just yet, although the browser is slightly different as regards the buttons.
    Navigator was on the applications all right, but it doesn't seem to be picking up the Ireland map at the same level of detail I had before (I have the Ireland map stored on the memory card). Requires more playing with to verify.
    Has completely de-branded the phone, certainly, as it's a total replacement of software and memory contents - so if your contacts are on the phone (not the SIM), make sure you back them up. You're back to standard factory settings, so if you have anything stored on the phone (incl. ringtones, alerts, tunes, messages etc) you will lose it!
    I backed up my calendar, contacts and messages to Kies before I flashed the phone. It's Kies 1.5 and, while I thought the Nokia PC Suite was an appalling POS, Kies is just in a total other realm of crappiness:eek: Talk about slow, bloated .... bit like me really! Kies restored my contacts, but didn't retain my group settings, restored the calendar ok, doesn't have an option to restore the messages back to the phone:rolleyes:

Hopefully Kies 2 will be an improvement... can't be worse.

Many thanks to t0mm13b for his help in explaining the background to the firmware.

There's no Route66 with those firmware, tbqh, Samsung would not have the legal right to distribute them in their firmwares (extra apps would make the firmwares bigger!)

So it's a matter of saying "Ok, I will go ahead and buy a full version of Route66", no such thing as free lunch and having your cake and eat it.... :)

GPS is far smoother in bada 1.2, and there is their own Navigation software on it called LBS, which is trial...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

Thanks again t0mm13b, I flashed the phone to S8500XXJID last night. Like yourself and fat-tony I'll probably flash to S8500XXJJ9 at some stage today.

There's no Route66 with those firmware, tbqh, Samsung would not have the legal right to distribute them in their firmwares (extra apps would make the firmwares bigger!)

So it's a matter of saying "Ok, I will go ahead and buy a full version of Route66", no such thing as free lunch and having your cake and eat it.... :)

GPS is far smoother in bada 1.2, and there is their own Navigation software on it called LBS, which is trial...

:D

Looks the same interface as what I was using when I got the phone first (about two weeks ago), except that it doesn't appear to have picked up the maps I downloaded. The "About" page says Samsung LBS 9.1.39111 Copyright1993-2010 ROUTE 66 and the help text gives the following URL www.66.com/samsung/wave/help

Looks the same interface as what I was using when I got the phone first (about two weeks ago), except that it doesn't appear to have picked up the maps I downloaded. The "About" page says Samsung LBS 9.1.39111 Copyright1993-2010 ROUTE 66 and the help text gives the following URL www.66.com/samsung/wave/help

AHHH!!!!!

Mea Culpa to Cros and fat-tony..... :o

You're right yeah... forgotten about that.....

Downloaded the route66 sync application, registered on the site and downloaded the free Ireland roadmap. Copied to memory card and all is ok. The voice guided navigation is chargeable, but I don't need that at the moment.

I had noticed that the music player is a bit odd in that it only supports the equaliser settings or effects when playing MP3s. I have a lot of my CD collection stored as FLAC files on PC and I have encoded some to AAC (as m4a files) and transferred them to the Wave. They play fine, album art is ok providing you have embedded it in the tags, but the equaliser settings have no effect. Only works for MP3 format. The DLNA client/server works quite well, but again only for MP3 format.

Also the CD images you get when you turn the phone to landscape orientation look quite good initially, as the CD cover is overlaid on each disk, but there is a "hole" in the image corresponding to the hole in the CD which looks a bit naff. The images would be better as squares corresponding to the CD jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Steky

Hi. Anyone know how I can get my old 3 firmware back onto my phone?
    I debranded and upgraded to Bada 1.2 but now have lost all the 3 Widgets for Skype and Planet 3. I went into Fonemenders but the said the cant rollback the firmware (I don't think they have any idea what they're doing!!)

Thought i should post this here after panicking that I had bricked my phone!

So I installed S8500XXJID just fine.
    Then I installed S8500XXJJ9 but didn't notice this time there was an extra fota and pfs file and dint select them. It flashed fine and on reboot came up "Fota engine is not install" ...foook!!!!
    So I start the multiloader again and this time its not detecting the phone at all, totally freaking out now!

Took the battery out for about a minute and restarted and now it detects it but gives me "warring security fail" when I try to to install ANY file, I even tried to reflash back to S8500XXJID but the dreaded "warring" (warning) message keeps coming up.

I'm about ready to throw myself in the Liffey when I read about "download mode".

So I took the battery out again, pressed the power button to drain any remaining power.
    Put the battery and back cover back on then held the volume down+camera+power on buttons together, this time its starts up saying"download mode" ...thank feck!!

Holding my breath I start up the multiloader and lo and behold it detects it (i hear strains of Hallelujah,Hallelujah,Halleeeeeeeeeluuuuuuuuuuuuuujah in my head!)..and will let me download the two missing file to the phone, phone starts up grand afterwards.

Hope this may help someone, I was seriously thinking I bricked it, very relieved now :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    So I took the battery out again, pressed the power button to drain any remaining power.
    Put the battery and back cover back on then held the volume down+camera+power on buttons together, this time its starts up saying"download mode" ...thank feck!!

Ok, Supercell - congratulations, you've passed the rite of passage with Multiloader test to become a guru in flashing - CONGRATULATIONS YOU DID IT!, and no I am not being sarcastic here.

The trick is to keep calm, and make sure LSI is set in the Multiloader, any other way, well... I dare not try it...

I had to cut out a bit out of your quotes and to add my comments for others as well to see.

Battery - Under any circumstances, do not flash when battery is below around the 75% mark.... this can have unintended side effects, on one site, it suggests 90% mark... the reason is simple, when you flash on low battery power you could well and truly bork the handset... because the flashing would be incomplete and failed.... that is why as a precaution, ensure you have the battery sufficiently powered first before doing the flash...

The keys used, Volume Down, Camera key and the Home Key, that triggers the download mode, if the handset is well and truly borked, you will not see that message "Download Mode", if you used that sequence - so use that as a guide... I know you didn't know before hand....

Well done anyway.... :D

Oh and one more caveat emptor here:

Do not flash your handset in a virtualbox or virtual machine under Linux, a few people successfully bricked their handsets in doing so....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

Well my phones all flashed now thanks to t0mm13b. I can finally start using it now, so any recommended apps or widgets etc??

xtal191 wrote: »
    Well my phones all flashed now thanks to t0mm13b. I can finally start using it now, so any recommended apps or widgets etc??

MeteorClock widget, similar to the HTC Sense Analog Clock
    Need for Speed Shift... very difficult... (Available on App Store through Kies)
    Battery power widget
    Themes - there's a Theme Designer Studio available here from Samsung
    Bada SDK - the official download site.
    Ask Bada - The programming site for Bada.
    Applications, etc would be found in either mysamsungwave.com or forums.badaforums.net

Have phun! _o/ :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I havenever been able to use T9 on my wave, i can find the menu but T9 is greyed out and won't let me tick the box, anyone ever see this before, what can i do?

20110121002930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Only works on the big qwerty keyboard and number pad IIRC.

Nate

Only works on the big qwerty keyboard and number pad IIRC.

Nate

@Nate: Not true there.... I had bada 1.0 on it and it had T9 regardless of screen orientation...

@Fighting Irish:
    Check your firmware version by dialing *1234#, or hit menu key, Settings > About Phone > System Info, and tell please and let me know... I have unofficial Bada 1.2 running on this and have swype well...called Trace is the official name for the swiping....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

@Nate: Not true there.... I had bada 1.0 on it and it had T9 regardless of screen orientation...

Seems you are right, I wonder where I got that idea from. :confused:

Anyway, make sure the Keyboard is on the qwerty letters, not symbols, before trying to turn on the Predictive text

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

OK i figured it out, the cursor has to be in the txt field not the contact field

I installed the route 66 sych application but it never recognises that the phone is connected via usb, do I need to set the usb mode to something else apart from kies?
    I can download some maps over wireless directly on the Wave but it sems to be hit an miss. For example I'd really like the China map but its 1678.71mb and it just gives me "connection failed" every time, I was able to get Ireland and UK fine though.
    In other news I'm loving bada 1.2 , lots of subtle improvements all good.

In terms of apps I highly recommend "barcoo" its a barcode reader app. It really works well for electronic stuff. The prices are in sterling but its a great benchmark to judge whether you are being ripped off here and to go online or not, and it always blows people away when you show your phone reading barcodes haha!

A mate showed me a star map app on his HTC Android phone that was really cool, basically it showed the star systems your phone is pointed at in real time, that was super cool. Anything like that on bada?, cant find it on Kies.

• Advertisement

why can't i update from S8500XXJEF using kies? :(

Advertisement