Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Wave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Supercell wrote: »
    A mate showed me a star map app on his HTC Android phone that was really cool, basically it showed the star systems your phone is pointed at in real time, that was super cool. Anything like that on bada?, cant find it on Kies.

There was one available for a while called Star Map, and it's brilliant. Seems to have disappeared though, can't imagine why.

If you turned on the GPS and had a fix it would show you the night sky as it would appear from your actual location. It was linked to the compass and movement sensors so as you moved the handset the stars would change to match where it was pointing. touch a celestial object and it's name and details would come up in a pop-up including a photo such as taken by Hubble. It has a night mode which switches the display to dim red so as not to compromise your night vision.

Only downside is that it is all in Polish, but i still love it.

There only seems to be this now: Stars Map - http://www.samsungapps.com/topApps/topAppsDetail.as?productId=G00000059472&listYN=Y

Havent tried it so I don't know how good it is.

metalfest wrote: »
    why can't i update from S8500XXJEF using kies? :(

Is your handset locked to a network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is your handset locked to a network?

nope it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

There was one available for a while called Star Map, and it's brilliant. Seems to have disappeared though, can't imagine why.

If you turned on the GPS and had a fix it would show you the night sky as it would appear from your actual location. It was linked to the compass and movement sensors so as you moved the handset the stars would change to match where it was pointing. touch a celestial object and it's name and details would come up in a pop-up including a photo such as taken by Hubble. It has a night mode which switches the display to dim red so as not to compromise your night vision.

There only seems to be this now: Stars Map - http://www.samsungapps.com/topApps/topAppsDetail.as?productId=G00000059472&listYN=Y

Thats pretty cool, is augmented reality , is exactly what I wanted, thanks :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I installed the route 66 sych application but it never recognises that the phone is connected via usb, do I need to set the usb mode to something else apart from kies?
    You set the usb mode to mass storage to use route 66. The kies setting is just for using kies;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

God that Stars map thing is useless compared to the Polish Skymap one. I won't be upgrading my firmware until it comes back to the app store. It really is brilliant.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

Anyone know when the Wave 2 will be released on the Vodafone network?

P.S. I hate ye all :D

You don't want the Wave 2, it's inferior to the original Wave as it doesn't have the OLED screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cros

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Download S8500XXJID, flash it

* Then download S8500XXJJ9 (Which I have, the best performing firmware *ever*), flash it
    * Then download S8500XXJK1, flash it...
    * Then download S8500XXJL2 then finally flash it, and you're bang up-to-date

This worked perfectly, thanks. Unbranding, the Bada 1.2 browser, T9 keyboard and improved stability were well worth getting the phone unlocked for. Applications used to blue screen regularly with the original firmware.

At first I flashed though all four, factory resetting each time. XXJL2 had an annoying lag on menus and especially the T9 trace keyboard. So I restarted the whole process and stopped at JJ9 - which is really nice.

I found that there was no need to update the actual bootloader, which meant there was absolutely no risk of bricking the phone. I didn't tick the box to replace the code (Stage 1?) but only supplied the path to BOOTFILES (Stages 2 - 3?).

XXJJ9 has preconfiguration options for lots of product codes, including XEU (UK open/unlocked?), whereas XXJL2 only has KOR and XEN (Dutch). I'm still not sure how official Kies updates might work in the future, but XXJJ9 might be a better place to start with these too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

hello there looking for some help please :confused: Bought the samsung wave second hand recently was on 3 so got it unlocked and using a 02 sim now , it worked fine can make phone calls texts but cant get on internet or apps or anything of the like what do i do? DO I need to get info from 02 to use without wifi? Any help would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Thanks Nate got it working:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tried out the "predictive Test" typing today and I must say its amazing. I hate the touch typing and this is so intuative and easy, especially as i am a two finger typer on a normal keyboard this is kjust so fast and and easy. Loving it!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tried out the "predictive Test" typing today and I must say its amazing. I hate the touch typing and this is so intuative and easy, especially as i am a two finger typer on a normal keyboard this is kjust so fast and and easy. Loving it!
    It's great until you try to type a word/string it does not recognise!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got a Wave a few weeks ago, but it's been sitting in the box since last night.

Reasoning: the Samsung App Store is prompting me to do an upgrade "to ensure the smoother running of applications" and blah blah blah. And my primary machine is a MacBook, and Kies Mini for the Mac is fecking dreadful. You can't upgrade firmware on it.

So on my girlfriends Windows 7 laptop, I downloaded Kies.. and it was a job and a half to get it to even recognised the phone.. so clicked 'Firmware Upgrade' and it told me I was on the latest firmware! :confused:

Another thing that's bugging me and maybe it'll come with an upgrade. You know the way you can grab contacts (using 'Contacts --> Get Friends') from your social network sites (Facebook, Twitter etc) - when I try and do it, it's only listing 'MySpace' which is the only social network I don't use. I'm registered and logged in on Facebook and Twitter but no option to retrieve friends from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

think you can get your facebook twitter contacts through accounts

stonybroke wrote: »
    think you can get your facebook twitter contacts through accounts
    Yeah.. what I mean is see here - the guys go into 'Contacts', selects the '...' menu and then 'Get Friends'. He then sees a list of the Social Networking sites he's set up on, and can import contacts from them.

I don't see that despite being registered on them - I simply see MySpace which I'm not registered on.

When I do that (get friends) "Add Account" comes up. You tap on "Add Account" and you get a selection menu of Web accounts and Social networks including facebook, MySpace and Twitter - none of which I have accounts on, by the way;)

It may be that later firmwares have the additional social networks, but I find it strange that facebook would not be in the firmware for a 'phone released early last year. You may have to go down the flashing route as per earlier postings in the thread if Kies is not cooperating. I found that version 1.5.something of Kies did upgrade my O2 branded phone to a newer version but I wanted to get to bada 1.2 so I took the plunge and flashed the firmware manually. Worked fine and de-branded the 'phone in the process. You WILL lose your contact lists, calendar entries and text messages stored on the phone during the flashing process, so back them up first! Kies 1.5 backed up my text messages but doesn't have an option to restore them! Restored my contacts and calendar reasonably ok. Kies 2 is prettier, slightly faster, but is still a sluggish p.o.s. It doesn't have the option of backing up text messages as far as i can see.

basquille wrote: »
    Yeah.. what I mean is see here - the guys go into 'Contacts', selects the '...' menu and then 'Get Friends'. He then sees a list of the Social Networking sites he's set up on, and can import contacts from them.

I don't see that despite being registered on them - I simply see MySpace which I'm not registered on.

I think you have to set up account profiles for facebook and twitter using the 'My Accounts' function so the phone can log into the accounts. Set up the account log in details using the My Accounts function:

20110126204709.jpg

I have a Macbook and used a Windows 7 laptop to upgrade the firmware via Kies without a problem. If you are using the old clunky Kies you could give Kies 2 a go. last I checked XXJI5 was the latest firmware on offer via Kies, I use XXJI3 and see no reason to go for 5 just to add DRM fluff.

Basquille - see my previous post and the image that cnocbui has posted. just tap on "Add Account" and you will get a list of social networks. Just select the relevant one(s) for you!

• Advertisement

Cheers guys.

Not near my phone now.. but the problem is I have registered my Facebook / Twitter accounts on the phone. But they're not listed under the 'Get Friends' dialog under Contacts. They're listed under Social Hub alright but when I go into 'Get Friends', it only shows me the dialog to add a MySpace account (which I haven't got... pfft, I'm not 15, or a registered sex-offender! :D).

I'll try using Kies 2 to upgrade firmware later, as I didn't even realise there was a Kies 2 (was using Kies 1, which was buggy as feck)

Gah.. this is a pain in the hole. Downloaded Kies 2 and got the following when I plugged in my phone:

79481224.png

If there's no firmware update available, why am I getting the message in 'Samsung Apps' to upgrade to ensure smoother running of my applications! :confused:

And now onto the whole Accounts thing.. I have set-up my Facebook and Twitter account (and 2 e-mail addresses on my phone) - see 'My Accounts' screen below:

<SNIP>

And now when I go into 'Contacts', 'Get Friends' - I see the following.. no registered accounts..

20110126225913.jpg

And when I click 'Add Account', I only see the one I haven't registered.

20110126225917.jpg

Frustrating the arse off me!

Ah.. think I might have gotten the 'Get Contacts' stuff sorted. There's an option under each account for 'Contact Sync' which seems to have been disabled by default. Have enabled that for Facebook now.

I need to get my contacts from Gmail though. Will look into way to do that.

mine also says when i go onto samsung apps, to update firmware, and yet when i connect to the comp it says i have the latest firmware , wrecking my head

Ignoire the message and install the app. It'll work fine.

Nate

Ignoire the message and install the app. It'll work fine.

Nate

it's not that,
    i just want to update the firmware from the original firmware it came with in july.. :confused:

metalfest wrote: »
    it's not that,
    i just want to update the firmware from the original firmware it came with in july.. :confused:

Apologies, I misread/misinterpreted your post. :o

Nate

Apologies, I misread/misinterpreted your post. :o

Nate

ahh you're grand, i just dont wanna brick my phone doing the manual update :(

stupid S8500XXJEF

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Have flashed manually to the official version of Bada 1.2, S8500XXJL2 that is currently doing the rounds via Kies update (have Kies 2, and wouldn't update for me!)... anyway....

If you flashed manually, and used the MID instead of LOW, this is for devs/hackers...
    *#7092463*# <- internal menu... mess with this and you could screw the handset!

*2767*3855# does the hard reset (wipes everything and resets back to default settings)

To change the preconfiguration of the environment:
    *#5239870*#, password is *#27236*#, if you don't know what you're doing, steer clear

System Service Menu:
    *#197328640# <- Service menu, again for internal usage, mess with it and you could screw up!

Network Lock:
    *#7465625# <- check if the handset is locked, if both Network and CP is locked - do not flash the handset, flashing with the locks in place will obliterate your handset into a nice paperweight!
    I will come back with more useful codes.... :D

• Advertisement

what do i need to do to update from S8500XXJEF
    to the latest firmware ? :(

Advertisement