Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Wave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

metalfest wrote: »
    what do i need to do to update from S8500XXJEF
    to the latest firmware ? :(

If you're thinking of flashing it heres a good video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfMn89vOmo&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Feck..

.. have 'Use Packet Data' unchecked in options but it's still using it when WiFi is unavailable.

How can you stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

basquille wrote: »
    Feck..

.. have 'Use Packet Data' unchecked in options but it's still using it when WiFi is unavailable.

How can you stop this?

If you can see 3G on the top bar, do this:

Settings > Connectivity > Network > Network Mode

Set it to 2G by specifiying GSM 900/1800

Setting it to Automatic by default selects 3g.

Also,

Ensure Location is off/disabled, Data Roaming is off, uncheck "Use packet Data", wifi should be off.

No packet should go through now.... let me know how that goes for you?

Cheers t0mm13b. Will give it a shot.

I use WiFi when necessary but often am not in range of a WiFi network so use 3G / Edge then. Do you know of a widget / toggle that will switch it off / on easily? Similar to the dock showing the WiFi / Bluetooth / Silent toggle.

If you're familiar with the iPhone.. similar to SBSettings:

SBSettings_quick_toggle.png

Thanks in advance.

Ahh... it's there alright

tap on the top notification bar

you should see Wifi, Bluetooth and Silent... thats your toggle ;)

• Advertisement

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Ahh... it's there alright

tap on the top notification bar

you should see Wifi, Bluetooth and Silent... thats your toggle ;)
    Ah well - no additional ones for Data? :(

Ah well - no additional ones for Data? :(

Not that I know of sorry mate...

Might be worth a gander over the forums @
    1. http://www.mysamsungwave.com
    2. http://www.samsungwaveforum.com/
    3. http://www.badaforums.net/forums/

Might find a widget or two to do exactly what you're looking for... ;)

If you're feeling adventurous, fire up your chrome browser and head over to the german/polish forums, there's some dudes there that *know* their stuff and hacks....(Chrome will automatically translate the forums for you.... ;) )

Cheers t0mm13b..

.. will give it a look over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is it wrong to have Packet Data On? I seem to have needed to switch it on when not using WiFi.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Is it wrong to have Packet Data On? I seem to have needed to switch it on when not using WiFi.

Packet Data is internet over the 3g mobile signal so ... if you are on a limited data plan - that can eat up the billing.... :)

• Advertisement

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Packet Data is internet over the 3g mobile signal so ... if you are on a limited data plan - that can eat up the billing.... :)
    Yeah, I'm on O2's terrible prepay plan.. no data plan other than paying 99c a day for up to 50MB's.

So basically if it downloads 2 - 3 e-mails, that's my 99c used up. It's grand on days where you're not in range of WiFi but if I leave 'Packet Data on', it'd be eating up €30 a month / 99c daily just on data.. and that's without exceeeding the 50MB cap daily.

I'd kill for a decent data plan with O2! :mad:

the O2 (which I am on) prepay is crap for the data plan.... and the thing is this - you do not realize how big the emails are which can eat up the credit and find that you've none left.... really.... the operators need to get their act together to find the best balance...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How do 2G and 3G speeds compare? 3G seems slow enough to me....
    Yeah, I'm on O2's terrible prepay plan.. no data plan other than paying 99c a day for up to 50MB's.

So basically if it downloads 2 - 3 e-mails, that's my 99c used up. It's grand on days where you're not in range of WiFi but if I leave 'Packet Data on', it'd be eating up €30 a month / 99c daily just on data.. and that's without exceeeding the 50MB cap daily.

I'd kill for a decent data plan with O2!
    Leaving Packet Data On - can it eat my data allowance without me knowing it? (Sorry for newb Qs.. :o) I have a 1GB allowance, btw, and haven't used e-mail on the phone yet.

Edit: How about other options which could eat allowance - Location Services etc.?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    How do 2G and 3G speeds compare? 3G seems slow enough to me....

uhh... that question is getting beyond me... all I know is 2g uses GPRS (General Packet Radio System?), 3g uses HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access), the differences is in terms of the speed but I can guarantee, GPRS is as slow as a snail in comparison... you can wikipedia it to find out more... :)

Some even believe that by setting your phone to 2G can save the battery - which is apparently true, with 3G, it is constantly switching around the signal to the nearest mast and this is where the battery can drain...

I can think of one excellent example of this - on the train going to Dublin, the signal drops every now and then and then picks up, switches from 3g to 2g and back again, that can have an adverse affect on the battery....

But.... the Wave's battery is quite powerful, 1500mAH which is the best performing battery anyway... so it would not be noticeable, in comparison to say a dumbphone that has a crappy battery power output....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I'd kill for a decent data plan with O2! :mad:
    I'm on O2 PAYG also. I turned off packet data and I always get a polite question on the 'phone to "turn on packet data?" if email or my weather widget want to download data if I'm not on wi-fi. If I'm in range of wi-fi it uses that without asking. I'm a bit puzzled as to what app would be using your 3G data link and running up your data charges if you have packet data turned off?
    You would be able to handle a ton of emails in your 50MB allowance for 99c providing you don't download attachments by default and have image display turned off in email. If, by default you just download the mail headers, the size of the email body and attachments are shown - at least that's the way the mail client works with Gmail. The location services (Route 66 app) doesn't send/receive much in the way of data providing you have the relevant map downloaded to your memory card.
    I used the phone as a modem connected to my desktop machine a couple of weekends ago as my broadband was down and managed to get about 1Mb/s on 3G. It was a bit tricky to stay within the 50MB a day allowance, though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

Can anyone recommend a good case for the Wave?? Some sort of silicone case or something!!

I have a Bugatti case I got from the Carphone warehouse for 20yoyos... the brown leather version... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭leex

xtal191 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good case for the Wave?? Some sort of silicone case or something!!

I have this one and am very happy with it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003TKSHR6/ref=oss_product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That looks like it's missing the hole for the flash.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    That looks like it's missing the hole for the flash.

Hmm you're right, I'll check that when I get it, €7 though can't really complain :)

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

Hmm you're right, I'll check that when I get it, €7 though can't really complain :)

Nate

The hole is for the camera and flash, if you look closely you can see its not a diamond shape

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

getting a new phone shortly down to 3 options desire HD, iphone4 or the wave. I must say the wave is impressive for the price. How is the bada OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Very nice and severely underrated by everyone who hasn't used it for decent period of time.

Apparently, word from the bada channel on irc in which I am an op, that bada 2.0 will be coming out for the Wave soon. :D

stonybroke wrote: »
    The hole is for the camera and flash, if you look closely you can see its not a diamond shape

Got it today and can confirm the Flash is not covered over.

t0mm13b any idea what is Bada 2.0 meant to bring to the Wave?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Is it normal for the XXJID FW to improve battery life significantly? I updated it about a week ago and haven't charged it since, using for maybe an hour a day on wi-fi, and as an alarm everyday, on standby otherwise, and it's now on 43%.:eek: My Desire might be getting an early retirement.

That's normal... the battery life gets better with the newer firmwares.. was on JJ9 firmware and it really made all the more, a big difference.... :)

Got it today and can confirm the Flash is not covered over.

t0mm13b any idea what is Bada 2.0 meant to bring to the Wave?

Nate

Good question Nate,

Information on this is trickling in small quantities...

For a start, the bada SDK 1.x has been horrendously slow and buggy, lots of problems in that arena in relation to developers developing apps on that. There are a number of problematic areas in this regard - which I hope, (I Hope it gets fixed up in bada 2.0), multitasking, very poor linux support, and sdk incompatibilities with linux, emulator is unusable (You can only deploy an app to the emulator, when you're done - you have to shut down the emulator in order to recompile it... that's a major sucky...)

Bada 2.0 is supposed to bring in a raft of changes, better linux support, and SDK compatibility, multitasking, touchwiz apparently is to get a refresh... Near Field Communication (NFC), better emulator support... there's a few more details which Justin Hong let loose on twitter about it and disclosed in a PDF document that made its way out on the internet....

So fingers crossed.....

Have been rooting around for this information and its here via my dropbox a/c. look at page 18 on that pdf...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

cnocbui wrote: »
    Very nice and severely underrated by everyone who hasn't used it for decent period of time.
    unless you're afraid to manually update the software i assume..........

Advertisement