Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Wave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

That explains the use of gorilla glass so.:eek: May have to rethink getting some form of protective case.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got mine repaired for 100 when I cracked mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Not much help but this website says anywhere between €20 - €120 http://www.fonemenders.ie/mobile-phone-repairs-ireland.php

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It can almost certainly be replaced. No idea what the cost might be. When I had a warranty repair done on a samsung Jet I was told these people were their agents in Ireland: http://www.fonemenders.ie/

You could give them a call/email.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

ixtlan wrote: »
    Not until the developer ports it to the Bada OS, and then arranges for it to be available on the Samsung app store.

I have no idea how difficult either of those tasks is, and with the small number of Bada handsets in the wild it would be understandable that developers will not be in a rush to do such ports.

I am however very interested in this, just to know how difficult such ports might be.

Ix.

You can use the web based version of Cabbage.
    Just follow the instructions at:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbagewebbased.php
    I'm not sure if there's much of difference between the app and the web based version anyway.

• Advertisement

Not until the developer ports it to the Bada OS, and then arranges for it to be available on the Samsung app store.

I have no idea how difficult either of those tasks is, and with the small number of Bada handsets in the wild it would be understandable that developers will not be in a rush to do such ports.

I am however very interested in this, just to know how difficult such ports might be.

Ix.

Also, the Cabbage App is Java based so it also works on Samsung Wave, you just to play around with the various buttons and settings as it doesn't work exactly like it does on Android.

Again follow the instructions at:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbagemobiledownload.php

I downloaded both files at:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/dlmob.php

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I almost got the Wave2 in the last couple of days (had it in my hand) but I returned it to the store because no one in Meteor can tell me if I can run this phone without a data or smart price plan. I would just use it with connect 20 but some staff are saying this is possible/impossible in equal measure.

Does anyone here use this phone on a 'dumb' price plan or is this even possible

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Ix.

There is one major gripe I have with the bada sdk, despite the sdk came out of beta last summer, it is bloody impossible to port a simple application because:
    • The bada runtime sucks.
    • There is no uniform platform portability, that is despite a few libs are open sourced. The "*nix compatibility layer" is using the GNU's gcc compiler toolchain from codesourcery and the library that is almost "*nix'ish" is supplied by redhat's newlib.
    • The bada layer is inherently more difficult to break out of the sandbox which has tightened the noose around developers in porting code.
    • The bada api is convoluted and has their own data types, which makes porting even a simplest c++ program a nightmare.

However, despite Samsung pushing out feeds about bada 2.0 sdk and firmware, I'm watching this space to see how it fares.

It is also, a killer to develop now, that they have made bada 1.2.1 application development ridiculous - in terms of licensing, a developer is only allowed to run one application at a time, develop app x, deploy, can run it, then develop app y, deploy, developer is locked out of app x. Also, there is a runtime check (this is only in the newer firmware/sdk 1.2.1), that upon user interaction of executing an app, bada runtime actually goes to the samsung's web site and checks on the license there to see if its permitted to run...

All in all, frustrating development efforts and hampering it, not alone that, testers are incompetent bunch of "wnakers", some have a quota to pass, depending on their mood, will fail a perfectly working application and thus never get certified for submission to the app-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

Connected my phone to Kies today, told me there was a Kies update & Firmware upgrade. Phone at last on Bada 1.2. Im on o2 network. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Kies updated for me but no firrmware update for me, I'm on O2 aswell :(

Nate

• Advertisement

Check this out - Android Froyo on the Wave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UueWOF5Icc

MaxFlower wrote: »
    I almost got the Wave2 in the last couple of days (had it in my hand) but I returned it to the store because no one in Meteor can tell me if I can run this phone without a data or smart price plan. I would just use it with connect 20 but some staff are saying this is possible/impossible in equal measure.

Does anyone here use this phone on a 'dumb' price plan or is this even possible

Yes, it can be used however you like. I use the data using features mostly while connected to WiFi. Obviously if you try to use features that require an internet connection when you are not connected to WiFi it will ask to use a 3G connction and use it if you allow it.

If you are really worried about unintentional data use, you can simply go into the settings and disable the 3G frequencies and re-enable them if you happen to need a data connection. Turning off 3G saves on battery too.

Kies updated for me but no firrmware update for me, I'm on O2 aswell :(

Nate

Have you updated Kies itself to the latest version? It won't update unless Kies itself is the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

cnocbui wrote: »
    Have you updated Kies itself to the latest version? It won't update unless Kies itself is the latest version.

Yeah Kies self updated (v2.0.0.11032_12), but still no go with the firmware. No matter, I'll wait for Bada 2.0 and flash it the hard way.

Nate

Did anyone try downloading some of the award winning apps as mentioned at:
    http://developer.bada.com/challenge/main.do?menu=CM01010000&regionID=L000000000

It says they're all available to download for free but I can't find most of them e.g. bang

I havent downloaded them recently, but yes, I have downloaded about half of them successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

anyone gotten android to work on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

metalfest wrote: »
    anyone gotten android to work on it?

I read somewhere before that someone in the Netherlands got it working but nothing confirmed. I dont think that it will ever be widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭HHH

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

Hey guys, I don't know if someone has asked advice on this already but I'm experiencing problems with the bluetooth on the wave.
    Long story short, I recently got a new macbook pro & I'm able to bluetooth from the macbook to the wave no problem but it won't work the other way around. On the macbook pro I am able though to click on Samsung Wave on the bluetooth list, then browse device but the only items I'm able to get are any items that have been bluetoothed to the wave from other mobiles. I cant get any of the photos or videos taken by the camera on the phone :mad:

I rang Apple & Samsung but to no avail (in fact, Samsung are uselsss at customer service...all she kept saying was "yeah, that's a compatibility issue")

Just wondering/hoping someone on here has advice for me???
    I never had this problem on my old Powerbook!

(Mods I'm going to post this over on the Mac forum too because I'm not sure if this is a Samsung or Apple issue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Has anyone tried the modded Opera Mini 6 that comes with embedded Swype? Would like to know if it works well. It could sway me back to Bada

Bluetooth works perfectly with my Macbook. Are you sure you have paired them properly and set the visibilities appropriately?

Bluetooth works perfectly with my Macbook. Are you sure you have paired them properly and set the visibilities appropriately?

Yeah I had them paired & when I rang Apple about it, they got me to delete it & pair it again but it still won't work! And, the they emailed me on a link to a list of all compatible phones & the Wave isn't on the list...there's actually only about 3 Samsung phones listed :mad:
    I tried bluetoothing to the Macbook Pro from my old nokia e63 & it brought me through the pairing setup thing & the 1 thing that was different from pairing the Wave was that that I had to type in a passcode on my Nokia first & then I had to type the same code into the Macbook Pro in order to continue with the pairing (I presume this was my Macbook Pro requesting it). This never happened when pairing with the Wave.
    I'm able to browse the Nokia & get images/videos that way no problem but then if I do it the other way by sending it from the Nokia to the Macbook Pro it fails. So now I'm wondering if maybe there's a problem with the bluetooth on my Macbook Pro.

I just can't figure it out!...why didn't they just leave the bluetooth the way it was instead of all this pairing nonsense!!!!! :mad::mad:

I have manged to pair both the Wave and a Jet with my Macbook. Maybe try and drive the process from the other end? Go into the Bluetooth setup on the wave and get it to pair/authorise the Mac, rather than trying to authorise the Wave from the Mac. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Milo Minderbinder

I have a request for help.
    Got my Wave last year; pretty pleased with it but cannot update Bada.
    It is branded to Vodafone; Kies is bang up to date.
    I think I have 3 options:

1) wait for Vodafone to allow it to be updated. There seems to be no movement on this; I have called them but they say it will be allowed "Soon" and not to worry about it.
    2) a local Vodafone stockist says that they can send it away to be updated under warrentee; fair enough but will that be to Bada 1.2?
    3) flash it myself; I am a bit wary of this; seems to create problems for some who have done it. is their a definitive website that will guide me through it step by step?

Any suggestions appreciated.

ta.

I have a request for help.
    Got my Wave last year; pretty pleased with it but cannot update Bada.
    It is branded to Vodafone; Kies is bang up to date.
    I think I have 3 options:

1) wait for Vodafone to allow it to be updated. There seems to be no movement on this; I have called them but they say it will be allowed "Soon" and not to worry about it.
    2) a local Vodafone stockist says that they can send it away to be updated under warrentee; fair enough but will that be to Bada 1.2?
    3) flash it myself; I am a bit wary of this; seems to create problems for some who have done it. is their a definitive website that will guide me through it step by step?

Any suggestions appreciated.

ta.

Check this out - samfirmware.com. Register your email address, download multiloader and you should be good to go...

In a nutshell, multiloader is far more safer than Kies :P

Plus the detailed guide on how to flash it is quite comprehensive and safe! For some reason, Vodafone (and others) have branded the handset with junk and is not a really good way to do so, the firmware that is downloaded from that site is much cleaner and free from crap. The operator branded firmware is delayed more often then unbranded firmware hence you're not seeing much updates to it when hooked up to kies... Still, Samsung has yet a long way to go to win back ... now that over on xda forum, a guy is porting android across it and successfully managed to boot linux on it..

Anyway... here's the multiloader 5.65

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭wataru

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Check this out - samfirmware.com. Register your email address, download multiloader and you should be good to go...

Thanks for that, great site.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Milo Minderbinder

Many thanks, will give it a go and see what happens.

Agree with you about all the rubbish installed to remind me that I gave Vodafone many,many Euro to buy it off them in the first place, there has to be irony somewhere in them not listening to their customers complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

does anyone know how to get someone out of my spam box, all the text message from one person always go to the spam box, how do i change this??
    thank you

• Advertisement

I have manged to pair both the Wave and a Jet with my Macbook. Maybe try and drive the process from the other end? Go into the Bluetooth setup on the wave and get it to pair/authorise the Mac, rather than trying to authorise the Wave from the Mac. Worth a try.

I went into Settings --> Connectivity --> Bluetooth but then I can't see an option to pair device. How did you do it?

Advertisement