Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Wave

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Would you not try flashing it yourself then?

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,025 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I remember reading up on it before and finding it a tad daunting..

.. probably will end up doing it now though.

It's locked to O2.. that won't make a difference, will it? I see it does for the bada 2.0 fat-tony posted abobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Yeah it's a dead end if it's locked, I've an O2 wave too but it's unlocked.

Type *#7465625# to check for sure

Nate

Type *#7465625# to check for sure
    Actually.. strange.. but everything seems to be 'Off' there including Network Lock.

So guess it's a go for flashing.

Is this guide OK or is there a better one?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭maxflinn

fat-tony wrote: »
    That firmware is from May 2010 and is Bada 1.0
    www.samfirmware.com has Bada 1.2 and beta Bada 2.0 firmware which you can obtain once you register.

You need to ensure that your handset is not locked to any network or SIM locked otherwise you may brick the phone
    :eek:

That site has codes for checking the lock status of the phone.
    Too late it's bricked:mad:

i done everything correctly, and during the flashing an error came up "ERR dbl

i waited about 20 mins but nothing more happened, so i disconnected the phone, turned off download mode, and now the phone wont turn on, and is not recognised by kies, or megauploader:mad:

EDIT. the phone is/was unlocked and unbranded...

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Actually.. strange.. but everything seems to be 'Off' there including Network Lock.

So guess it's a go for flashing.

Is this guide OK or is there a better one?
    I followed that one to a tee, a few minutes into flashing some drivers started downloading and it stopped. the wave is fxxxxckd

this is the error message in the uploader

Download Start Ch[0]
    BootLoader 1703.9KB OK[0.7s]
    Error : Dbl Write [0.1s]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

maxflinn wrote: »
    Too late it's bricked:mad:

i done everything correctly, and during the flashing an error came up "ERR dbl

i waited about 20 mins but nothing more happened, so i disconnected the phone, turned off download mode, and now the phone wont turn on, and is not recognised by kies, or megauploader:mad:

EDIT. the phone is/was unlocked and unbranded...
    I assume that you flashed the phone before you saw my post? Where did you get the firmware from and what version? What version of the multiloader did you use? I've used the samfirmware site for Bada 1.2 and also for all the 2.0 betas. I understand that it's pretty difficult to "brick" the bootloader in the Wave in any case.

fat-tony..

.. is the guide I posted above the best available way to update to 1.2? Or is there a better way.

The phone is unlocked anyways. Thanks in advance.

O2 told me yesterday that the official Bada 1.2 release has been out since March.

Yet my girlfriend (who has my Wave - originally bought locked to O2) still can't update to Bada 1.2 (on latest version of Kies too).

I'd just like it so I can switch off the notification beeps that my phone is dying.. Samsung ridiculously just wouldn't allow you to silence this in Bada 1.0. Infuriating!

Untitled_114.jpg
    Basq - that message in Kies - "This version of the device cannot be updated" means that the CSC portion of the firmware (country / operator settings) in the phone does not match the one set in Kies and it will never offer to update the phone. My version of Kies says that also (as I am on Bada 2.0 beta). I only use Kies to save and restore my contacts.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm.. is there a way to change that in Kies?

Or like wilser said, is it just a case of sending it off to Samsung? If it needs to be sent off, I'll flash it myself.

fat-tony..

.. is the guide I posted above the best available way to update to 1.2? Or is there a better way.

The phone is unlocked anyways. Thanks in advance.
    I hadn't seen that guide - just used the one on samfirmware. I bought my phone in the carphone warehouse internet offer which went disastrously wrong for a lot of people last Christmas. I can't find the thread at the moment, but there was a lot of posting on that thread about upgrading/debranding the phone which I followed and moved to 1.2 at the time. Since the bada 2.0 betas started coming out in July I have installed about three different releases. Whole user interface has been re-vamped. Looks cool but I get occasional crashes and re-boots. Rumours about that 2.0 official will be available shortly.

Hmmmm.. is there a way to change that in Kies?

Or like wilser said, is it just a case of sending it off to Samsung? If it needs to be sent off, I'll flash it myself.
    The guide in badaforums that you linked to seems to show how to get the firmware back under Kies control after you install the UK specific 1.2 firmware. Don't know if the UK specific settings will work here on our networks. I just use the generic EU firmwares , which seem to have the settings for the various networks.

fat-tony wrote: »
    The guide in badaforums that you linked to seems to show how to get the firmware back under Kies control after you install the UK specific 1.2 firmware. Don't know if the UK specific settings will work here on our networks. I just use the generic EU firmwares , which seem to have the settings for the various networks.
    Cheers Tony..

.. will give it a shot over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

I've read through that guide on badaforums and it seems to get the phone to a state of the last official 1.0 EU/UK unbranded firmware initially using the multiloader, then it uses Kies to add the 1.2 bada updates. If you want to stick with Kies for the forthcoming 2.0 official release it would seem to be the way to go. I do hate Kies, though - slow to load, crappy and slow user interface for managing contacts etc. I just use it for backing up or restoring contacts when flashing using multiloader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Plants v zombies available to download free, for a limited time, other apps/games also available just cant remember the names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 timbo.tv75

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has the original branded 3 firmware for the Samsung Wave. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Even the product code would help.

My phone was purchased from 3 about 12 months ago. At the end of the contract I contacted 3 for an unlock code but they firstly claimed it wasn't locked and then that the code couldn't be provided. After a couple of useless visits to fonemenders I took it upon myself to get the phone unlocked. Tried several sites before coming across unlocksamsungonline.nl and had it unlocked in minutes for 15euro. Funnily enough the code was 12345678 which seems to suggest a default code. Might be worth a try if you are having the same issues.

I also flashed the phone with various firmwares (even different regions) while it was still locked and had no issues but I'm not guaranteeing that it will work with all phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Didn't want to make a new thread, just wondering if anyone has updated to Bada 2.0. Can't do it officially so I am going ot do it manually.
    It looks like S8500XPKH3 is the latest but its from last august, anyone know of a newer one?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Just flashed S8500XXLA1_S8500XALA1_XEU from samfirmware.com, That is January 2012 release of Bada 2.0.

Kies now reports that its the latest firmware version. Have phun :D

Just upgraded to the one mentioned above, interface seems to be improved, hopefully its all better! Thanks tOmm12b

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Just curious what, you all think of Bada.

BostonB wrote: »
    Just curious what, you all think of Bada.

Its wayyyy better now, as compared to the early days of Bada 1.03! The resemblance to the icons/notifications of Android is uncanny and looks remarkably slick.
    But however, Bada is going to be merged in with meego to form tizen... a open source platform, due out some time in q3 of 2012.

Have yet to browse the SDK and get a refresher on the programming side of this..

Bottom Line: Had Samsung kept nurturing Bada and put more of an effort into the Bada ecosystem, it would probably have killed off Apple and Android - period! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am not sure I would go that far but I certainly think Bada is an excellent OS and is very underrated.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am not sure I would go that far but I certainly think Bada is an excellent OS and is very underrated.

Yes, under-rated because Samsung chose to support the Android more so than bada... IIRC the SDK under bada 1.2 was poor due to lack of C++ portability, lack of dev efforts for under Linux, its more geared towards Windows - this is where Blackberry SDK is at - all geared towards Windows which can be annoying for Linux devs like myself, but it is understandable.

Ultimately, Android, (am a Android dev and did do bada dev a long time ago) has that flexibility of platform independence to develop apps. Hopefully, as have not, as of yet, plan to this weekend, to look at the Bada's SDK.

When I first got the Wave about 18 months ago, bada 1.0 was on it and thought at the time ... "Hmmm... they've got a killer handset which was streets ahead at the time..." but I digress...

Samsung should really learn from this and continue to support this top-notch handset which is still as good today as it was back then. :) Time will tell what comes out of tizen :)

Edit: PS Samsung are pushing out far too many wild variants of handsets which upsets a lot of redditors in /r/android... They (Samsung) need to calm down and just concentrate on supporting software side of things (which is their major weakness, poor support etc) instead of hardware, despite that, its a hardware shop after all! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Just flashed S8500XXLA1_S8500XALA1_XEU from samfirmware.com, That is January 2012 release of Bada 2.0.

Is there much work involved with this? I wouldnt have much knowledge of phones but any updates would be welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

t0mm13b wrote: »

Just got this when i connected to kies.
    Its like a new phone,am loving it so far:D
    Thanks t0mm13b

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Is there much work involved with this? I wouldnt have much knowledge of phones but any updates would be welcome

Takes about half an hour there is a guide here, fairly straight forward if you follow the directions.
    http://www.4shared.com/office/lacds_CW/S8500_Flash_Guide.html

Only annoying thing is no proper google maps (no pinch to zoom etc) but google maps doesn't work on bada 1.2 anyway.

Interface is nice, was getting bored of the phone ill keep it for another while now. :)

The interface is nice admittedly :D very slick in some places, pinch-to-zoom on the calendar, on the home screen.... question is how long more will samsung provide support for this Wave handset despite pushing out newer models.... :)

Advertisement