Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Wave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    lmao :D;)

there is a site www.Samsungmobile.com but for the life of me I can't register an it's really gettin on my tits at this stage. Excuse the expression :) Everything goes well with it until you enter the Letters in the NOT A BOT Thingy and no matter how many times you click the Correct Text it says you've entered them wrong. Very annoying I must say :mad: Could someone else test this out please...? Truely would appreciate it ;)

that's your sim ratting you out ;) - Ireland isn't supported, yet!

as to themes: they aren't available yet! Samsung will release an update later this year, so we'll see how bada-cimmitted they are.

I discovered sth not-so-good in my test unit: charged to 100% I completely powered it off last night. Turning it on this morning battery is down to 69%!
    Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭deadduck

strecker wrote: »
    I discovered sth not-so-good in my test unit: charged to 100% I completely powered it off last night. Turning it on this morning battery is down to 69%!
    Anyone else?

you running the latest firmware? i haven't seen the problem myself yet, but i've had a few phones that had battery issues that got sorted via f/w upgrades. just an idea?

deadduck wrote: »
    you running the latest firmware? i haven't seen the problem myself yet, but i've had a few phones that had battery issues that got sorted via f/w upgrades. just an idea?

yeah, you're probably right. Haven't updated coz I got the Wave for review purposes. and messing with fw would break the agreement ;)

I remember the same issue on an Omnia and an n97...probably the NSA stealing data at night hahaha...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Milo Minderbinder

I had a problem with deleting apps and decided to give it one last go; when you press edit a red line appears on the top right of the deletable ones; it is the red line you press, not the app icon !! D'OH !

thanks for all help ; maybe I should RTFM in Future.

tried Navigation; not bad for what comes free but not a patch on the Nokia. If you do not want to buy a package you can just use Google Maps to enter your destination and it will show directions from your location to there. Messy, but free.

I really like the phone besides all the foibles, looks great etc will just have to tune it to my liking. RRing tones that come with it all sound like a small Korean Child being prodded with a stick to encourage her to sing traditional funeral songs in a cheery tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

How is your battery life esecially on firmware from 3?

I had 81% remaining after 3.5 hours from charging, 3g+ network icon being shown all the time, wifi and gps off, no network data connections in background.

Anyone having similiar experiences? This phone is supposed to have great battery life so I think this might be firmware based problem or faulty battery?
    In offline mode it lost 4% in 2 hours standby so something is not right.

• Advertisement

valdigre wrote: »
    How is your battery life esecially on firmware from 3?

I had 81% remaining after 3.5 hours from charging, 3g+ network icon being shown all the time, wifi and gps off, no network data connections in background.

Anyone having similiar experiences? This phone is supposed to have great battery life so I think this might be firmware based problem or faulty battery?
    In offline mode it lost 4% in 2 hours standby so something is not right.

I had a Vf Wave for a week, and yes, there seemed to be an issue. Overall, battery life WAS great for a TS phone, but now and again it would lose 20-30% in a couple of hours on standby w/out any background services-enabled. At one time I powered it off completely at 100% and next morning it was down to 60% ... Usually though, batt was very good, so def'ly a fw bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Have to say I find the Battery amazing IMHO! From Full Charge to Non-Function(i.e. won't let you Browse, Play Music etc, not fully brown bread) I get 3 Whole Days!!! :eek: I find that the battery inidcator is spot on and in testin it out for myself after thinking the same, that it seems to go down that bit quickly. I Fully Charged er and from that Full charge to when it dies on me Fully, was 3 and a half days! :D And belive me you I used the bejasus out of er :p Wifi, Browse, Music, 3G, Browse, FM Radio, Music, Browse, Music, Fm Radio, Music, Music, Music, FM Radio, Browse, Bluetooth and back to Wifi :P :cool: On short I use it alot :o

The Battery seems to show exactly what you have, which to me seems spot on :) as the second you take the charger out the battery starts to depleat and TBH I'd rather a propper battery indicator showing this! Not like a Nokia that shows you at Full Charge until your @ 30% battery life and then all of a sudden just shoots down in a matter of an hour :rolleyes:

Apologes for the rant, but go ahead an try from a full charge to when the phone only takes calls only and belive me you from when it first tells you "Battery Low" and it actually stoppin you from using Browsing or Music it's a long long way off

:o:o:o

Have to say I find the Battery amazing IMHO! From Full Charge to Non-Function(i.e. won't let you Browse, Play Music etc, not fully brown bread) I get 3 Whole Days!!! :eek: I find that the battery inidcator is spot on and in testin it out for myself after thinking the same, that it seems to go down that bit quickly. I Fully Charged er and from that Full charge to when it dies on me Fully, was 3 and a half days! :D And belive me you I used the bejasus out of er :p Wifi, Browse, Music, 3G, Browse, FM Radio, Music, Browse, Music, Fm Radio, Music, Music, Music, FM Radio, Browse, Bluetooth and back to Wifi :P :cool: On short I use it alot :o

The Battery seems to show exactly what you have, which to me seems spot on :) as the second you take the charger out the battery starts to depleat and TBH I'd rather a propper battery indicator showing this! Not like a Nokia that shows you at Full Charge until your @ 30% battery life and then all of a sudden just shoots down in a matter of an hour :rolleyes:

Apologes for the rant, but go ahead an try from a full charge to when the phone only takes calls only and belive me you from when it first tells you "Battery Low" and it actually stoppin you from using Browsing or Music it's a long long way off

:o:o:o
    I agree. As I said above, the 'issue' I encountered seemed to be down to an odd fw-bug. Overall, for what the Wave does, and for the glorious screen, its battery life is very very good.

Well that is what I am saying guys, I am using it a bit now, because the phone is new so I have to let er have it.

Say 1-2 hour wifi browsing, 1-2 hour gaming, a bit of camera and she is down in 24 hours and she is connected to 3g network all the time... Maybe I just demand too much :/

Apparently, 3g + icon (which I had for most of the time) on the phone means it is connected to HSDPA network and believe me, it eats the battery like mad, then.

Of course, it is only my second charge and experience shows, that battery performs a bit better after it is "settled down" with a couple of charges, so I am positive.

If this won't help, I will debrand it this week because I really doubt, that 3 will support this phone with frequent firmware updates.

Any of you got the Voice Command App on your Wave??? :confused: See here, it's one reason I ended up goin for the Wave but on seeing a post in Bada Forums that it wasn't there I checked top to bottom and only came up with the Voice Recorder :mad: Really starting to regret buying this phone :rolleyes: shoulda forked out the extra few bob for the Desire :rolleyes: Idiot!!! :eek: :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CCOLGAN

Any of you got the Voice Command App on your Wave??? :confused: See here, it's one reason I ended up goin for the Wave but on seeing a post in Bada Forums that it wasn't there I checked top to bottom and only came up with the Voice Recorder :mad: Really starting to regret buying this phone :rolleyes: shoulda forked out the extra few bob for the Desire :rolleyes: Idiot!!! :eek: :P

What else do you not like about the phone??

I must say I really like it so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Staunchy, thanks for keeping this thread updated, as you find out more and more about the Wave. I hope it improves for ya, but I'll have a look at the thread in a week or two and find out.

Your experience is gonna help the rest of us make up our minds!

CCOLGAN wrote: »
    What else do you not like about the phone??

I must say I really like it so far :)

Lack of creativity on HS, you can only put 1 Widget per HomeScreen if you luck maybe 2 but they look awful together. Touch can be off at times, very hard to selection down the Notification Drop Down and some times no response at all when touching. Can't open PDF Books, Voice Command not there, Can't have more than 2 Apps open at 1 time without it screaming at you, can't open some large web pages, PAID Navigation and only 1 Theme.

Still I can't Register on Samsungmobile.com and yes I'm putttin them in capitals no spaces an exactly what is in the box! But it won't got threw, keeps saying wrong Text. And I've tried from 2-3 different pc's and BB Providers. It's says on the website Uk & Ireland so I dunno what the hell :rolleyes:

Only real plus is the HD Camera atm and even that has it's flaws, Zoom on Video is really poor, not smooth at all :eek: and considering the way Meteor are with up dates it'll be Christmas before I get to see the First Update they dish out. Really debating on going back before the 28 days expire and get a HTC Desire or some Andriod phone, can't stand Nokia anymore an think I'll hold off on Bada till it's a year in so most things are worked out an more content, as it's a good OS don't get me wrong I like it but maybe jumped on board a tad bit too early :o :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I was unfortunate/stupid enough to get the Samsung/Vodafone H1 a few months ago.
    However, I'm now eligible for an upgrade again and am toying with the idea of getting the Wave.
    Sounds like it's worth it, would people recommend it?
    How does Facebook function on it? Many websites simply timed out on the H1 unless I was connected via Wifi. Is this problem prevalent on the Wave?
    What's it like for synchronizing with various email accounts like Yahoo and Gmail?
    Can you also add POP3 mail accounts?
    Thanks in advance

I have unbranded mine (previously 3 firmware) and although I lost Skype functionality because of this, I gained muuuuch better battery life, more built in apps and more frequent updates in the future I guess.

I am satisfied with the phone I have to say, only thing I miss is apps, especially Skype or SIP but I hope they will show up in the future.

Remember it is a very young platform and Android had much more bugs and flaws when it first showed up years back.

I am positive about the phone and the bada platform and lets be hones, for this kind of money the phone costs, it is absolutely worth it.
    You just have to be patient and give it some time to reach full potential.:D

valdigre wrote: »
    I have unbranded mine (previously 3 firmware) and although I lost Skype functionality because of this, I gained muuuuch better battery life, more built in apps and more frequent updates in the future I guess.

I am satisfied with the phone I have to say, only thing I miss is apps, especially Skype or SIP but I hope they will show up in the future.

Remember it is a very young platform and Android had much more bugs and flaws when it first showed up years back.

I am positive about the phone and the bada platform and lets be hones, for this kind of money the phone costs, it is absolutely worth it.
    You just have to be patient and give it some time to reach full potential.:D

Full agree :D;) But after Beta Testing S60 5th for Nokia(5800) I'm a bit turned off testing New OS's, I fully agree with yea, it is the best phone around atm for the price, hands down she's a dinger :cool: But I think I'll jump on the Bada band wagon when it's a bit more mature. I'm within the 16 days of purchase and decided I'm gonna bang away with the Desire for a year an then come back to Samsung 100% 2011, it is 1000% one to look out for, Samsung know what they're doin but I think I'll hold on till they're well in their stride :P

Back to the Store today :D

EDIT: Also the bloody thing keeps turning off in my Back Pocket for some odd reason!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Hey all Just got my wave today woo! Anyways When anyone calls me/ I call them It appears 'private'. Is this a F/w or network? I'm with voda and went from pre-pay to bill on the same sim. Will be calling voda up on this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭Heroditas

congo_90 wrote: »
    Hey all Just got my wave today woo! Anyways When anyone calls me/ I call them It appears 'private'. Is this a F/w or network? I'm with voda and went from pre-pay to bill on the same sim. Will be calling voda up on this too.

I think that's a network issue.
    Vodafone should be able to fix that fairly quickly.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got it and love it so far. Video playback is great. PDF files were fine for me. I would like some more customisation, but I'm sure that will come with future firmware releases?

What is the current latest firmware version? I'm on meteor, and mine is S8500XXJEF/S8500OXAJEF

The browsing is a lot faster then on my N95 or E71, but it is a little fiddly to navigate through pages.

The touchscreen keyboard is easier to use in landscape mode.

No synching with google calendar yet, and birthdays put into contact info don't show up in the calendar.

Does seem more Beta then Bada in some parts, but for my usage, it's pretty good.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I think that's a network issue.
    Vodafone should be able to fix that fairly quickly.

issue resolved. was Voda. been playing with the phone on my break and its properly impressive!
    I upgraded from a tocco f 480.

the apps need to start rolling out! YouTube, cabbage etc.

all in all a great phone. currently using it to type this!

how does one get contact pics to display in the text conversation window? this phone is worth every cent even with standard apps!

love the multi task system and ease of use when changing songs while browsing.

anyone know if there's a music recognition app? had it on the tocco and proved handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Full agree :D;) But after Beta Testing S60 5th for Nokia(5800) I'm a bit turned off testing New OS's, I fully agree with yea, it is the best phone around atm for the price, hands down she's a dinger :cool: But I think I'll jump on the Bada band wagon when it's a bit more mature. I'm within the 16 days of purchase and decided I'm gonna bang away with the Desire for a year an then come back to Samsung 100% 2011, it is 1000% one to look out for, Samsung know what they're doin but I think I'll hold on till they're well in their stride :P

Back to the Store today :D

EDIT: Also the bloody thing keeps turning off in my Back Pocket for some odd reason!!
    Did you get the htc desire after? I'm interested to know because i'm gonna upgrade my phone (currently using nokia 5800) in the next couple of days and have it narrowed down to the wave or desire. Is there much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Milo Minderbinder

Further adventures with My Wave.

Got the Navigation ; think it is called Route 66, ( they must feel that we still love all things American; I would rather it were called N17 to be honest ) paid €20 for the year; found it excellent. I had to go to a place called Maynooth ; it calculated the time and was spot on. Used Australian Voices ; just to see if they would get peeved if I broke the speed Limits. Just a boring Bong-Bing noise..... but very impressed. Of course I am of an age where I still cannot quite accept that a phone will do anything else besided be stuck to a wall and cost 50p to call Telecom Eireann to complain about your last bill.

It also , as above, switches off in my back pocket, but handily enough also seems to switch on again through a sitting motion.

There are endless amounts of Apps comming onstream; most are a little crazy but some fun ones.

Battery Life; fine ; I use it a fair bit for actual talking and it seems to do for a day or two. No offence to anyone but I am always puzzled by moans over battery life; I just plug it in every night and use it all day. By the time I cook the battery it is time for an upgrade anyway.

The case has a few scratches but that is because I keep dropping it; mayhaps it could be termed a trifle slippy but my thinking is that the scratches will provide an abrasive surface to grip in the future..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭donkey balls

jonas7 wrote: »
    Did you get the htc desire after? I'm interested to know because i'm gonna upgrade my phone (currently using nokia 5800) in the next couple of days and have it narrowed down to the wave or desire. Is there much of a difference?

the htc desire was to be released on 3 this month it has been pushed back to sept(software issue with the phone)

onwards i go with my wave. noticed battery is 1 1/2 days usually but i usually stream a lotta data, play music so between wi-fi, 3-g and the music it's a killer not to mention how much i text on it.

The sooner samsung release a cabbage app the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

I have a samsumg cara s5600 and I find it unlocks if it is your pocket. The problem is the unlock button on RHS of phone, does this happen with the wave

and

Can it be used to make VOIP/SIP calls usingf Nimbuzz, Fring or a built in SIP client

k123456 wrote: »
    I have a samsumg cara s5600 and I find it unlocks if it is your pocket. The problem is the unlock button on RHS of phone, does this happen with the wave

and

Can it be used to make VOIP/SIP calls usingf Nimbuzz, Fring or a built in SIP client

It does not support VOIP (unless you have a 3 branded phone with Skype built in) and it looks like, it will not support VOIP, ever:

bbbbbu.jpg

If I had only known that month ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 FD1973

Hi Guys, I have the wave with vodafone firmware and the battery life is terrible... I get only 1 day and thats only taking and making maybe 10 short calls and no widgets running, 3g disabled and very little usage. I have the s8500BUJF1/s8500VFGJF1 firmware on it (kies says this) and am thinking of debranding to improve battery life as I heard that vodafone/3/meteor firmware eats the battery for some reason, can anybody confirm this?

I also get a 'connection failed' message when I try to use the youtube mobile website, it starts up the media player saying 'connected' but then after about 5 secs 'connection failed' appears. Ive talked to vodafone and they have tried a few settings but no joy. Anybody else seen this?

Thanks in advance

jonas7 wrote: »

I didn't I stayed with er, after seeing there is not fix still for some bad issues with HTC's on Meteor I decided to stay as Meteor have nothing else really to offer in the line as the Wave. And so far it's great except for a couple of head wreckers like the phone turning off in my pocket an few Apps. But the App store is slowly movin along, though half the new Apps are for other lanuages without any English Translation. IMHO I'd get the Wave, hands down for the price, build, features and potential the Wave wins hands down. On Meteor any way :cool:
    k123456 wrote: »

and

Aye the Wave is just as bad but can be forgiven quite easily for the rest it has goin for it :D and not lookin good for VOIP ans sure where the hell is the Voice App? It was mentioned on GSMArena but looking now it's been removed :(
    FD1973 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I have the wave with vodafone firmware and the battery life is terrible... I get only 1 day and thats only taking and making maybe 10 short calls and no widgets running, 3g disabled and very little usage. I have the s8500BUJF1/s8500VFGJF1 firmware on it (kies says this) and am thinking of debranding to improve battery life as I heard that vodafone/3/meteor firmware eats the battery for some reason, can anybody confirm this?

I also get a 'connection failed' message when I try to use the youtube mobile website, it starts up the media player saying 'connected' but then after about 5 secs 'connection failed' appears. Ive talked to vodafone and they have tried a few settings but no joy. Anybody else seen this?

Thanks in advance

I'm on Meteor and a few posts back you'll see I can get up to 2-3 days fine with mine and with some descent amount of use. It's actually a quite good indicator of how much the battery goes down, it's not like a Nokia that will tell you your 100% all then time until your really down to about 30% and only then it flys down fairly fast in the indicator. Same as a few other posters they're battery life is quite good with some real heavy use of the phone. Suprised to see it go down so quickly with so little use, maybe a bad battery. I'd bring it back and ask for a replacement battery, if you're within your 30Days of purchase it'll be no bother to get it changed and if after it they still have to change it but you may have to start blabbing some consumer rights spiel at them lmao after all if the battery isn't standing up to Samsungs claims of an adverage Battery Life Cycle of 35hrs(Constant Music Play) then there's a chance it could be faulty and you need to at least rule it out. If it does turnout to be Firmware related then it's up to Vodafone to approve the new Firmwares and this can take anything from 1 1/2 months to 6 months :eek: Some providers are very slow to approve Firmwares. Only thing you can do is keep ringing them every now and agian to see if there's any news on when or if it'll be approved. If your provider has a Forum then bring it up in there, that way it's taken note of much quicker than talking to maybe 7 different Customer Care staff, of which 6 will ask you " What's a Firmware? We don't sell them! " lmao I kid you not :P

Haven't had any trouble with YouTube connecting threw Wifi/3G she's always rand fairly good.

Sorry about ze Rant, I'm BORED :o :P :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

FD1973 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I have the wave with vodafone firmware and the battery life is terrible... I get only 1 day and thats only taking and making maybe 10 short calls and no widgets running, 3g disabled and very little usage.

Have you maybe left the GPS running? Easy to do and there is no indicator to tell you it is on, which is one of Samsung's foibles. Even the application switcher doesn't report that it is switched on. If the GPS is left on it will severely impact the battery life.

Turning the phone off then on is one sure way to ensure the GPS is off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 FD1973

Hey guys, thanks for the replies....

I got the phone and battery checked by vodafone and they gave it the all clear so I took the plunge this morning and debranded the phone (scary as it took a while to update at one point) and initial impressions is that the battery life does appear to be better but Ill have to test it a bit, ill let you know.

There is defo an issue with streaming on vodafone over vodafone live as internet radio is jumpy (when it works) but on the MISP APN it works fine. Youtube only works on MISP too. They are looking into it.

Its a great phone, I actually prefer it to the iphone (my wife has one). Just a tip, if you set your default country as UK in kies you can download a fantastic football game called real football 2010, its amazing and also need for speed which is also fansastic. They are not on the Irish section for some reason.

Two things that annoyed me is the fact that you cannot record telephone conversations (you could with the samsung omnia) and the voice recorder app is rubbish, you cannot change the quality of the recording.

Advertisement