Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Wave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

just got the wave, cool phone, still getting to grips with it, is it right that i cant call irish mobiles or landlines on skype on the 3 network?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

cnocbui wrote: »
    Have you maybe left the GPS running? Easy to do and there is no indicator to tell you it is on, which is one of Samsung's foibles. Even the application switcher doesn't report that it is switched on. If the GPS is left on it will severely impact the battery life.

Turning the phone off then on is one sure way to ensure the GPS is off.

Yea on about Navigation there man, the GPS for the Maps like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

touch screen

meh!

i wouldnt mind getting a android clone, but touch screens dont do it for me, doesnt matter if they have usb3, 1Tb storage and a tera byte lan built in.!

touch screen

meh!

i wouldnt mind getting a android clone, but touch screens dont do it for me, doesnt matter if they have usb3, 1Tb storage and a tera byte lan built in.!

Ooohhhh-Kayyy!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    Yea on about Navigation there man, the GPS for the Maps like?

Yes. In settings, my location. That turns on the GPS if you have location services enabled. If you exit from that using the menu key instead of the call cancel key, the GPS will be left running and will flatten the battery faster than anything else. samsung should put an indicator in the 'tray' as they have done for wifi and bluetooth, to indicate the GPS receiver is powered up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

can you guys confirm that you can change the keyboard layout from QWERTY to standard, traditional text input (i.e. : abc, def, ghi, on each number key). thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 FD1973

I can confirm that the battery life is better with the non vodafone branded software.... When in standby mode the battery life goes down maybe 1% every 1.5-2 hours as opposed to 2-3% every hour with vodafone firmware in standby mode which in effect is over double the battery consumption with vodafone firmware in standby mode. Again this is only my own observation and not 100% accurate but I am positive there is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

sohappy wrote: »
    just got the wave, cool phone, still getting to grips with it, is it right that i cant call irish mobiles or landlines on skype on the 3 network?

Yup, 3 have Irish landlines and mobiles blocked from Skype (they are a business afterall ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

can you guys confirm that you can change the keyboard layout from QWERTY to standard, traditional text input (i.e. : abc, def, ghi, on each number key). thanks.

Yes, keep your finger on the key to the right side of the '.com' key until a window opens up. Press 'keyboard type', then 'keypad', and select set.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

Walkman wrote: »
    Yup, 3 have Irish landlines and mobiles blocked from Skype (they are a business afterall ;))

thanks.will have to keep using skype on the pc for those 30min+ landline calls

• Advertisement

Yes. In settings, my location. That turns on the GPS if you have location services enabled. If you exit from that using the menu key instead of the call cancel key, the GPS will be left running and will flatten the battery faster than anything else. samsung should put an indicator in the 'tray' as they have done for wifi and bluetooth, to indicate the GPS receiver is powered up.

How do you know the GPS is still running? It doesn't show up in the Phone Info either and this would show it if it was active wouldn't it? You made a good point about the GPS not having a Notification Anything, mail Samsung and suggest it to them, they're mad for hearing from the buyer, they welcome All suggestions, especially little flaws like that. Yea'd think with all that power under the hood a simple notification thingy would be no bother :p
    FD1973 wrote: »
    I can confirm that the battery life is better with the non vodafone branded software.... When in standby mode the battery life goes down maybe 1% every 1.5-2 hours as opposed to 2-3% every hour with vodafone firmware in standby mode which in effect is over double the battery consumption with vodafone firmware in standby mode. Again this is only my own observation and not 100% accurate but I am positive there is a difference.

It would be the new firmware alright, Vodafone, Meteor and the likes get taylor made Firmwares for the phones they sell and quiet often they are pants compared to the Generic Modle Firmwares. Plus by the time 3-4 firmwares are release by Samsung, Voda, Meteor an the rest will still only be testing the FIRST Firmware. Ballsology if yea ask me man :rolleyes: :p:D

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    How do you know the GPS is still running? It doesn't show up in the Phone Info either and this would show it if it was active wouldn't it? You made a good point about the GPS not having a Notification Anything, mail Samsung and suggest it to them, they're mad for hearing from the buyer, they welcome All suggestions, especially little flaws like that. Yea'd think with all that power under the hood a simple notification thingy would be no bother :p
    :rolleyes: :p:D

The only way to tell if the GPS receiver is turned on that I know of is to go to settings - my location and see if it is still reporting or displaying a position. If everything is blank I think it likely was turned off. I am pretty sure you can disable/turn off the GPS by unselecting 'enable location services'.

It is crazy that there is no indicator that the GPS is turned on, given that the GPS function in phones uses more power than all other functions combined. As I said, even the task manager won't tell you that it is switched on.

I used to have a Samsung Jet, so I my experience is that Samsung don't listen to user complaints much. I might give it a go on the Samsung forum just for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I was just wondering how to debrand the Wave, is it a matter of just updating the firmaware via www.samsungmobile.com, or do you have to wipe it and flash it separately, does it need to be unlocked?
    I would be grateful if someone could post a link to a how-to
    ;)

I believe the phone must be unlocked before you can flash it to replace the branded firmware. There is a guide here:

http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=4671.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kalinkamaen

SKYPE is working.

There is a big but here. You have to pay for calling.

Here is the software.

http://www.2shared.com/file/8IiuDzwx/IM__for_Skype_Software.html

Regrads Kali

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Actually, you don't have to unlock the phone to be able to flash.

You can flash the phone no problem to the F1 firmware, and after that, you can update it to the newest one using Samsung Kies (there is a hack how to do it, will translate it later this week when I find some time).

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

can you post up that link when you get a chance dude?

I have a samsung wave and I cannot update the firmware as its stuck on three and three wont update the firmware unless i send it away to them and that means I am stuck without a phone, I am on the first released firmware which has known issues with battery life, If only I knew this before I went with three I would have gone for a sim free one :D

Everything you need is here, I used this site and it has tutorials and the unbranded firmware. Just read everything before you attempt anything. It does say that the phone must be networked and sim unlocked though!

http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/

A+-Guru wrote: »
    can you post up that link when you get a chance dude?

I have a samsung wave and I cannot update the firmware as its stuck on three and three wont update the firmware unless i send it away to them and that means I am stuck without a phone, I am on the first released firmware which has known issues with battery life, If only I knew this before I went with three I would have gone for a sim free one :D

Exactly my feeling! If I had known that, I would not have bought this phone. What is Skype good for if you have to charge the phone daily, without using the phone properly!

I have to translate the topic, because it is in Polish.

Here goes:

1) Download F1 software from internet, and upload it to your phone using the Multiuploader

2) Make sure, that in the folder with Kies you have dll's: ceutil.dll and rapi.dll
    If not, copy them from Program Files\Common Files\Samsung\DeviceService and change their names from _ceutil.dll and _rapi.dll to names specified above. (without the underline).

3) Connect your phone to your PC, launch Kies and wait until it recognizes your phone.

4) Open registry editor, put "regedit" in your Windows run command prompt.

5) Navigate to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB. There should be some numbers specified, which represent USB port number. Explore them and find the one that has Your phone product code (should end with "3ie").

6) Edit value ProductCode and DEVCONINFO, changing old Product Code to GT-S8500BAAXEO

7) Launch update widget in Kies, it should detect the update for your phone

I found out, that the latest firmware in the Kies (F4) is no longer available in Kies, I thing they are preparing to launch G5 firmware.

Good luck, here is the original tutorial: http://samsung-wave.pl/tej-wersji-urz-dzenia-nie-mo-na-zaktualizowa-rozwi-zanie-t583.html

Put the link in google translate and translate from Polish to English ;)

FD1973 wrote: »
    Everything you need is here, I used this site and it has tutorials and the unbranded firmware. Just read everything before you attempt anything. It does say that the phone must be networked and sim unlocked though!

http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/

I have flashed my Simlocked phone with no problems to F1, using the Multiuploader.

I would advise to not flash it with multiuploader to anything higher than F1, I have almost bricked mine when flashing to F4 using multiuploader. It worked fine when I did that using Kies with the hack specified above.

• Advertisement

valdigre wrote: »

I have to translate the topic, because it is in Polish.

;)

Have a poke around here http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?board=182.0

You might find you don't need to translate.

I have F1 firmware, is the F4 firmware worth upgrading to? what are the differences?

Have a poke around here http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?board=182.0

You might find you don't need to translate.

The page you specified does not have the hacky Kies update solution, which I translated above.

Anyway, anything higher then F1 catches GPS fix faster, and I suppose it introduces a couple of bug fixes.
    Also, the new firmware, which should be introduced to Kies any moment now, should significantly decrease GPS fix time as well as better GSM reception (read on some forums from users, who manually flashed to this firmware already).

I tried that hack but it didnt work for me, still says there is no update available from JF1 firmware. My product code was GT-S8500BAAVDI (didnt end in 3ie so I presume that VDI is vodafone ireland)

any ideas?

I've just read opinions on www.samsungfirmwareworld.com that this hack does not seem to work anymore :/

Not sure what I can say, it does not seem to work for me too.
    I guess the only thing we can do now is use multiuploader.

Edit: Correction, I just plugged into Kies my other, unbranded simlock free Wave on F4 firmware, and I also get "this device cannot be updated" message on it. I think Samsung Servers no longer offer this update.

By the way, in the hack I described above, I supplied product code GT-S8500BAAXEO which is for Poland, maybe you should try some Irish/Uk code: GT-S8500BAAXEU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Yuri_gold

Hello everyone there who knows or have an idea about samsung wave.. i am looking for a sip settings/software to configure my voip account to my samsung wave. if somebody knows it, thankful for your help offer. thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I think someone on this thread said it doesn't support Sip.

One thing to try is Nimbuzz or Fring, not sure if these will run on Wave, but worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i got mine with meteor billpay, no branding as far as i can see :s

metalfest wrote: »
    i got mine with meteor billpay, no branding as far as i can see :s

Eh yes it is! Branded and Locked to Meteor! After 3 months on Contract you can ask them to DeBrand and Unlock it an they'll happily do it ;):D

AFAIK the new UpDate should be with us any day now. It was in testing 3 weeks ago an usually takes 4 to get approved by Meteor and pushed threw by Samsung... Soon enough so the whispers say :P

• Advertisement

Upgrades through Kies are back online.
    Firmware version F8 is available officially through Kies.

If you want to try, do as described in the hack above, should work fine.
    Will upgrade myself when I get back home.

Advertisement