Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Wave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Just got this phone. My first smartphone. Just using it on wifi at home for moment. What would users recomend i do with it in terms of software updates, drivers etc. Do i need to install kies on my computer to install apps on the phone? Do i need any extra software to stream radio or watch videos like .avi on it? Also , where cheapest place to get a good cover/protector for it?
    Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cros

I got one of these last week on eMobile and really like it so far, aside from a few blue screen crashes when closing applications. The (official) Bada 1.2 update sounds promising. I hope it'll tidy up the web browser a bit and fix a few issues with using Exhange Activesync to the GMail calendar and email.

Maps are free to view, but the routing function costs money. You get 30 days for free but have to pay about €40 for a perpetual license. Install "Route 66 Sync" on your PC to download maps to the SD card - no packet data connection required.

Try syncron.ie for covers and protectors: good quality and arrive the next day.

The phone can play pretty much any video file without conversion - which is really nice. It'll even stream directly off a network server using the DNLA protocol (Settings -> Connectivity -> All Share).

Windows 7 has a DNLA server built in, but you can install something like the free TVersity or TVMOBiLi servers on XP. It all works very well. You can even copy stuff from the server directly the SD card, all using the software built into the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

cros wrote: »
    The phone can play pretty much any video file without conversion - which is really nice. It'll even stream directly off directly off a network using the DNLA protocol (Settings -> Connectivity -> All Share).

Windows 7 has a DNLA server built in, but you can install something like the free TVersity or TVMOBiLi servers on XP. It all works very well. You can even copy stuff from the server directly the SD card, all using the software built into the phone.

That's pretty cool I didn't know that, thanks.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just got this phone. My first smartphone. Just using it on wifi at home for moment. What would users recomend i do with it in terms of software updates, drivers etc. Do i need to install kies on my computer to install apps on the phone? Do i need any extra software to stream radio or watch videos like .avi on it? Also , where cheapest place to get a good cover/protector for it?
    Cheers in advance

You can download and install apps to the phone directly without using kies. Just use the Samsung Apps app with a WiFi connection.

Mine originally had firmware version XXJF7. Using Kies, I updated it to XXJI3 which brought significant improvements, so if you have an older firmware I would say definitely update it before doing too much with the phone as a firmware update wipes everything so you start from scratch with settings, contacts, apps etc.

Use the dialing keypad and enter *#1234# to find out your firmware version. I think XXJI5 may be the latest available firmware but I haven't tried it as I am perfectly happy with 3 as it is.

The GPS function improved immensely with the firmware update, much quicker to get a lock, a bug with in phone Apps installations not completing was fixed plus many other improvements.

To stream radio get the TuneIn Radio and/or Stormradio apps. I think the former is the better one.

The media player will play just about anything as is. Avi no problemo.

Get a micro SD card to enable the navigation function then download the maps for Ireland and any other countries you may visit, as they are free to download within the 60 days free trial period but you have to pay for them thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

What size mocro sd is everyone using with their Wave?

Thinking of getting the following 8gb since its a class 6

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/12761327/Samsung-8GB-Micro-SDHC-Plus-Memory-Card/Product.html?searchstring=micro+sd+samsung&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

Or should I get a 16gb class 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

xtal191 wrote: »

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/12761327/Samsung-8GB-Micro-SDHC-Plus-Memory-Card/Product.html?searchstring=micro+sd+samsung&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

Hey would i need one of these for watching youtube on my Wave? I cant watch youtube at the minute and wouldn't be that tech minded so would this help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I use a 16GB class 4, not sure if Class 6 offers any benefit.

Nate

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Hey would i need one of these for watching youtube on my Wave? I cant watch youtube at the minute and wouldn't be that tech minded so would this help?

Dunno if this will help you

http://www.samsungwaveforum.com/samsung-wave-troubleshooting/cannot-access-youtube!!!-help/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Go to youtube on the main screen select the ... to bring up the menu at the bottom of the screen and then internet settings. select Internet Profiles and then select Meteor WAP.

this is of course for meteor!! try changing it anway from DATA to WAP.

Would people who have this phone recommend flashing it?? Is it easy to do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Great stuff mate. Thanks its finally working but the quality aint great:mad:
    JoeySully wrote: »
    Go to youtube on the main screen select the ... to bring up the menu at the bottom of the screen and then internet settings. select Internet Profiles and then select Meteor WAP.

this is of course for meteor!! try changing it anway from DATA to WAP.

Got it but thanks anyway
    Would people who have this phone recommend flashing it?? Is it easy to do??

What does flashing do???

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Got my wave today but i ordered on o2 and the box on my phone says 'met'. Can receive and send texts but cant get online. Am i screwed?

Wave in Irelnad to ANY Network is a piece of CRAP! There's been 2 Updates to fix numerous faults an we get sweet feck all but a crappy phone, my advice bring it back if your inside your 16 days an get your money back!

It depends on how much HD movie shooting you want to do. A 14min video I made took about 1.2 GB.

You could get an 8gb card locally and save a euro:

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/8GB_Sandisk_microSDHC_memory_card_w_SD_adapter-bulk_/index.html

cnocbui wrote: »
    It depends on how much HD movie shooting you want to do. A 14min video I made took about 1.2 GB.

You could get an 8gb card locally and save a euro:

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/8GB_Sandisk_microSDHC_memory_card_w_SD_adapter-bulk_/index.html

I doubt I'll be using the phone to shoot anything. I think I'll be good with an 8gb, does the class matter at all??

I have a class 4 card and it is noticeably a bit slower in doing tasks that require accessing the card compared to the on-board memory. I would go for the faster card if there was a choice.

Would you not be shooting much because you think the quality is not good or do you think you would never have the need?

Im sure the quality is fine on it but I doubt I'll be using the video recorder on it too much. I just ordered an 8gb from amazon anyway.

Have any of you flashed the phone? How hard is it etc?

wataru wrote: »
    http://www.badaforums.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=251&start=15

This method worked fine for me and I have just got a Three Ireland wave in the last month.

I was a little scared that I had bricked it the first few seconds that it booted, cos everything was slow and the cpu was at 80%.

But then all of a sudden it was fine and I had 80 new txt messages, Id say it just had to re load my contacts and messages from the sim hence the crazy cpu utilisation, alls well now tho.

As far as skype was concerned it did disappear from my programs but when i looked in widgets it was there and simply brought me to an official three mobile download site to replace it, I assume its still free from them....

good luck peeps

Does this trick still work??

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Does this trick still work??

The trick is frowned upon... the problem with that, is, when you trick Kies, and you get a update.... when you use kies ordinarily without applying any trick, you will not get any updates...

Samsung did clamp down on that with later releases of Kies... :)

Be wary though, Samsung ARE watching the forums without you knowing about it and masquerading as a n00b.... watch out.... that is how they get the feedback in relation to leaked firmwares.... ;)

When someone mentioned about the trick for the first time, Samsung wised up and fixed up Kies and as of now, the latest Kies does not allow that to happen...

If you want to use the trick, you MUST revert to the old Kies, but the catch is, each Kies release is tied to a specific firmware version on their server.... so if you want the latest and greatest firmware, you MUST have an upgraded version of Kies otherwise it will not pick up the latest - know what I'm saying....

There is Bada 1.2 coming out in the coming days for European firmwares available through Kies 2 which remarkably resembles iTunes.... As for Bada 1.2, they fixed up the rampant piracy that went hullabaloo when everyone was trying to get Need for Speed Shift to work and cracking it...

:D

Dont suppose you know anywhere to get the phone debranded? I got the phone unlocked fine but want to get rid of all the 3 branded stuff etc. I was going to flash it but I dont know if it would be worth it.

Dont suppose you know anywhere to get the phone debranded? I got the phone unlocked fine but want to get rid of all the 3 branded stuff etc. I was going to flash it but I dont know if it would be worth it.

Flashing is the only way to do it... No other way... :)

Go to www.samfirmware.com
    • Register your email address there
    • Download the latest firmware for S8500
    • Flash it with Multiloader - Read the instructions very carefully
    • then pray when the flash begins and fingers crossed when the flash is done and reboots.

That should get rid of the operator junk and uses stock firmware (i.e. no branding crapware...) :D

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go later, I've looked up videos on flashing doesnt look too hard anyway.

Have you flashed yours? Did you get the latest bada etc?

I'll give it a go later, I've looked up videos on flashing doesnt look too hard anyway.

Have you flashed yours? Did you get the latest bada etc?

Yup! have been on Bada 1.2 since October :P

What firmware did you download? It seems S8500XEJL2 is the latest, would that one work?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

Really stupid NOOB question. Are the only apps for this the ones on Samsung apps? Can you use android apps?

farmerval wrote: »
    Really stupid NOOB question. Are the only apps for this the ones on Samsung apps? Can you use android apps?

No, not a stupid question - it is important to understand the differences
    Android is
    • uses open source operating system called Linux as the backend that controls hardware and management of memory allocated to tasks.
    • This explains why because, of the historical nature of Linux, multitasking is there and viably visible...
    • Applications written for Android are based on Java in conjunction with Google's dalvikvm runtime environment that is inherently fast and works in an embedded environment
    • Android applications are downloaded directly from the market place, some are free, some are paid for
    • Because of the diversity of applications for android, there's a chance that a trojan application can slip through the net infecting the handset

Samsung's Bada is
    • based on a proprietary system that has been used in the predecessor to smartphones (dumb-phones) called nucleusRTOS
    • nucleusRTOS has a lot of restrictions in place in such that only one developer-custom application can run at any one time... i.e. no multitasking present - this is going to change in Bada 2.0 when it comes out this year with a host of new features and improvements
    • Applications written for Bada are based on the native programming language called C++ which has pure raw speed and runs blindingly faster than Android applications which uses the dalvikvm to enable it to run
    • Bada Application Store has a very rigorous (a little bit too rigorous) certification process that can throw app developers off completely by surprise, whereas Android's Marketplace is more relaxed and less rigorous
    • Because of the previous point made, this explains why Android apps are either crap (about 90% are anyway) and the rest are paid for, and hence easier for the Android market to slip in a trojan malware embedded in an application that is coded in a malicious way

With those differences in mind, Android apps cannot run on Bada, and Bada apps cannot run on Android, because of the different systems underneath the bonnet -

tis like asking a born horse rider to drive a ferrari and pulling up on the wheel to turn a direction to steer, and a born ferrari driver to ride a horse by turning the horse's neck around to steer(cue: I've a horse outside....)

Before I finish this off, there's another thing that should help clarify matters further, as I have been receiving PM's from a few enquiring on this...

In respect to Skype a lá telephony over the internet...., well, Android market has more of a free rein on what can be built etc, Samsung's Bada is far more stricter....

but because of the telecoms sector have more of a fight against Skype and other telephony over internet (Voice Over Internet Protocol - VOIP) for the #1 reason - loss of revenue as a result, because of the nature of VOIP, you can talk to someone far cheaper than using the mobile telephony operators (such as 3, Vodafone, Meteor, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon to name but a few) they are piling on the pressure on the handset manufacturers NOT to include any VOIP features, invariably, the handset manufacturers cave in as:
    • Handset manufacturers want the cost of manufacturing the handset recovered so they sell themselves short to the mobile operators...on the precursor of the condition that NO VOIP technology is integrated
    • Mobile operators WILL not sell the mobile manufacturer's handset if VOIP features is built in, as a result, the manufacturers of those handsets are left with no choice, either sales or none at all....

This "problem" is a murky waters area in terms of handsets bundling skype or not at all much to the dismay of the consumers.... consider this typical scenario to clarify this, Mobile Operator MO, Mobile Manufacturer such as Samsung in this case:
    • MO - We hereby agree to sell your Samung Wave handsets as part of OUR package to OUR customers
    • Samsung: Great, so you want X units of those handsets, for a fee of Y
    • MO: OUR terms and conditions.... NO VOIP technology in your Samsung Wave's handset
    • Samsung: Oh f**k, now we're screwed... we need the money to recover the manufacturing cost of the Waves... oh f**k it... ok, WE NEED THIS MONEY sigh... :rolleyes:
    • MO: HAH! That was easy.... you're screwed Samsung.... so you agreed and signed on the dotted line for agreement to be declared effective

And therein lies the problem.... Consumers obviously want value for their money and to be able to Skype is a pipe dream to the consumer (they save $$$) but Mobile Operators wouldn't be too happy to see the loss of revenue as you yak over Skype on your wireless network in your home or office at a far lower cost....instead of it going through the Mobile Operator's system (which generates $$$$!)

Hey t0mm13b, I just downloaded firmware S8500XEJL2 from www.samfirmware.com, would this be the latest full firmware?? Also there are two RC2 files one (Low) and one (Mid), whcih one of those should I use in Multiloader??

I *think* that version is bada 1.0.2 ....

The way Samfirmware.com works is this - for Bada 1.2, as stated....
    • Download S8500XXJID, flash it
    • Then download S8500XXJJ9 (Which I have, the best performing firmware *ever*), flash it
    • Then download S8500XXJK1, flash it...
    • Then download S8500XXJL2 then finally flash it, and you're bang up-to-date

The firmware composes of those files, so you do need to include them, one of them is the for the firmware level (I guess that's why it's called Low), the other Mid is for the bada level, in fact, think about this, if you didnt have them you wouldn't be able to see any messages that the handset tells you such as "Charging", "Incoming call" etc, they are vital resources that contains the messages localized to the region based on the firmware .... :)

The way the firmware identification works like this this, starting with an example, it increments in each month as you'll see
    • S8500 - obviously the handset type
    • XX - European, there's a subset XE for Western Europe, XX covers both Western and Eastern Europe in terms of languages
    • J is the year, 2010, K is 2011, L is 2012 and so on...
    • J is the month, in this case, October, K is November, L is December, M is January and so on, then wraps over again...
    • 9 is the release version

There are obvious subtle differences in the firmware, Asia is ZS or DD, not sure, this is top of my head, again another different code for Australia, China etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Hey t0mm13b, I just downloaded firmware S8500XEJL2 from www.samfirmware.com, would this be the latest full firmware?? Also there are two RC2 files one (Low) and one (Mid), whcih one of those should I use in Multiloader??
    Hey also t0mm13b - I too, have downloaded that same firmware. It's supposed to be a full firmware, so why would it be necessary to go through the intermediate steps as outlined in your post?
    • Then download S8500XXJJ9 (Which I have, the best performing firmware *ever*), flash it
    Other question - the instructions for the multi-loader say that you should not select "BOOTFILES_EVTSF" folder instead of the BOOT folder. The unpacked firmware XEJL2 contains that folder name (not BOOT), so what's the appropriate course of action? Thanks!

I have already updated the original O2 firmware through KIES and it's S8500BWJL1. The phone is new and is not locked.

fat-tony wrote: »
    Hey also t0mm13b - I too, have downloaded that same firmware. It's supposed to be a full firmware, so why would it be necessary to go through the intermediate steps as outlined in your post?
    Other question - the instructions for the multi-loader say that you should not select "BOOTFILES_EVTSF" folder instead of the BOOT folder. The unpacked firmware XEJL2 contains that folder name (not BOOT), so what's the appropriate course of action? Thanks!

I have already updated the original O2 firmware through KIES and it's S8500BWJL1. The phone is new and is not locked.

The reason is that you cannot jump directly to the latest, as for starters, the full firmware JID, is the full bada 1.2 boot code... the rest are simply updates, which must be carried out incrementally as they are incremental changes...

So if you went from BWJL1 to JL2, that will fail, as the BWJL1's boot code is different and does not match up at all....

A word of warning:
    Do not flash if your handset is locked, you can check this yourself by dialling *#7465625# ... Both Network and SP Lock must be OFF! Otherwise... its goodbye to your handset and you'll have to take it back to get it reset...

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help t0mm13b.

Now before I go ahead and flash my firmware at the moment is S8500NEJE6 so I should go ahead and flash it with S8500XXJID, would that be correct??

Also just to bring up the RC2 files again, one (Low) and one (Mid), in Multiloader you can only select one RC2 file to load. How are you meant to load them both?

Advertisement