Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16GB Micro SD Card

Options
  • 26-05-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Anyone know of anywhere I can pick one of these up on the cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've been looking for a 16GB Micro SD card too. I found this on eBay. I think it works out at just below €30. Too good to be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I've been looking for a 16GB Micro SD card too. I found this on eBay. I think it works out at just below €30. Too good to be true?
    I seen that one myself and ordered it a couple of days ago so I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭icrusader

bought a 64gb usb drive about a month ago on ebay which turned out to be fake but the seller had feedback score of about 12 so i should have known better but i was tempted by the bargain.

some microsd cards act erratically so do lots of testing on any new card you buy.

that's my 2 cents worth hope you are happy with your new card

ic

I seen that one myself and ordered it a couple of days ago so I hope so!
    Great! Hope it works out for you. You might let us know if there are any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-Sony-Memory-Stick-Pro-Duo-MagicGate-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001236041

have a look at this... just be wary of large memory cards on ebay.. a lot of the "deals" are fakes.. especially from china/hong kong etc just be careful

icrusader wrote: »
    bought a 64gb usb drive about a month ago on ebay which turned out to be fake but the seller had feedback score of about 12 so i should have known better but i was tempted by the bargain.

some microsd cards act erratically so do lots of testing on any new card you buy.

that's my 2 cents worth hope you are happy with your new card

ic
    johnmcdnl wrote: »
    http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-Sony-Memory-Stick-Pro-Duo-MagicGate-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001236041

have a look at this... just be wary of large memory cards on ebay.. a lot of the "deals" are fakes.. especially from china/hong kong etc just be careful

Yes but the one I linked to is a Sandisk MicroSD not a Sony. Also the seller is a top-rated one who says he is based in the UK.

Yeah have had similar experiences myself. Just cant resist trying to save some cash though. He does have quite a bit of feedback though so hopefully.

Hes based in the UK but hes definitely chinese or something by the name that came up when i paid. Says delivery under 5 days though which would mean England rather than Hong Kong

Hes based in the UK but hes definitely chinese or something by the name that came up when i paid. Says delivery under 5 days though which would mean England rather than Hong Kong
    I checked his negative feedback and there was one that he was definitely not in the UK. But he does have thousands of positive remarks...who do you believe? :confused: I get stuff from Hong Kong in a week sometimes, same as the UK.

• Advertisement

I checked his negative feedback and there was one that he was definitely not in the UK. But he does have thousands of positive remarks...who do you believe? :confused:
    I dunno. Last time I got fake memory though a kingston 16gb I opened up a paypal dispute saying it wasn't genuine. Got my money back and kept the memory. Works as 16Gb just a fake and not as fast as the real deal

Yeah went for the "UK based" one as i'd like to get it asap and that just seemed way too cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

Looks fake.

I have one and it works perfect...plus it only took 5 working days to arrive?

I have given up on cards on ebays, there were a few powersellers I used to buy from, one called something like blueproton was good, might not be still going. I got some fakes and a refund at xmas.

A test to do is to fill your card to the brim to test capacity, and load the files back to your HD and test. Many are only half the size they claim, so I reckon people get a 16GB fill with some files to test and leave positive feedback, then down the line they find it corrupts over 8GB but it is too late to report in the sellers feedback.

I don't know where to go to be honest. eBay is full of fakes and mymemory.co.uk are based in Jersey which could get hit by customs.

The cheapest on mymemory is the integral 16gb at £32. I have ordered loads from them before, and often at a higher value than that with no customs worries. BUT I always get it sent to my work address, I figure if they do spot it they might think it is for business use and so it would be a waste to claim VAT when it will be refunded anyway.

Also the packets are small and the declared value is very small & discreet on them. They also mark them as gifts (which they should not) and the limit for gifts here is €45. €22 for normal products.

The 8GBs are still much better value per GB and for speed. The £32 16GB is only class 2, you can get a 8GB class 6 for £13

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/MyMemory/MyMemory-8GB-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Card---Class-6--

It says out of stock but if you ask for notification it can often be quite fast (I ordered LOADS of times before!)

class 4 kingstons are £14 the prices have been going up since last year.
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/Kingston/Kingston-8GB-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Card---Class-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

How does the class system work rubadub?

cork45 wrote: »
    How does the class system work rubadub?
    Its the speed of transfer. I think with some things, like a camera recording video it will only work with ones of a certain speed. They have a class 10 16GB for £89, while class 2 is £32.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating
    Speed Class Rating

The Speed Class Rating is the official unit of speed measurement for SD Cards, defined by the SD Association. It is equal to 8 Mbit/s, and it measures the minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":[9]

The following are the ratings of some currently available cards:

* Class 2: 16 Mbit/s (2 MB/s)
    * Class 4: 32 Mbit/s (4 MB/s)
    * Class 6: 48 Mbit/s (6 MB/s)
    * Class 10: 80 Mbit/s (10 MB/s)

Even though the class ratings are defined by a governing body, like × speed ratings, class speed ratings are quoted by the manufacturers but unverified by any independent evaluation process. In applications that require sustained write throughput, such as video recording, the device may not perform satisfactorily if the SD card's class rating falls below a particular speed. For example, a camcorder that is designed to record to class 6 media may suffer dropouts or corrupted video on slower media.

Important differences between the Speed Class and the traditional CD-ROM drive speed measurement ("×" speed ratings) are:

1. the ability of the host device to query the SD card for the speed class and determine the best location to store data that meets the performance required
    2. class speed defines the minimum transfer speed.

Since the class rating is readable by devices, they can issue a warning to the user if the inserted card's reported rating falls below the application's minimum requirement.

On 21 May 2009, Panasonic announced new class 10 SDHC cards, claiming that this new class is "part of SD Card Specification Ver.3.0".[10] Toshiba also announced cards based on the new 3.0 spec[11] As of December 2009[update], the SD Association's Web site does not include information on this new class or new specification.

I got some class 4's on dealextreme, they came labelled as class 6. I think it is like PC chips & RAM, they make them all the same and then run tests on them, if they run OK they might say it is class 4 and only guarantee that speed. So I reckon dealextreme got borderline class 6 cards and sell as class 4 so nobody will complain. On the DX forums some techy guys run tests on them and say they are a lot better than regular brand class 4's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Would the class of a card matter for a phone?

cork45 wrote: »
    Would the class of a card matter for a phone?
    It would depend on the phone I suppose, if it is taking video it might. I have used different class cards on nintendo DS devices, the 4x one was roughly twice as fast at scrolling through games as the 2x one, was also faster to load and create save files.

You could do a google search on your particular phone and for "class 4" and you might find people who have tried it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What is annoying is that some brands are fussy in some devices. People complain of Kingston cards in the DS for instance. The cards are quite complex underneath, and some use different types of controllers.

This link gives a nice overview on the fakes market.. and also shows the underlying complexity of the memory card you probably take for granted.

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to say, wanrek's eBay link further up this thread, points to a Sandisk card with no batch code and an irregular 'SD' card logo.

Advertisement