Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten wanted - Co. Kerry

Options
  • 26-05-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking for a kitten for a gift, hoping to collect around the 15th June.
    The kitten will be going to a loving and mature home, we have waited until now to become pet owners because we have more time.

I have searched online and local ads in Kerry for a kitten (Local vets, local rescue) and there doesn't seem to be any around just at the moment. There is an ad on donedeal.ie but the 'seller' seems very ambiguous and unwilling to commit!

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated. I will travel within Kerry to collect. Many thanks to all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you're willing to travel to Cork theres a good few kittens here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Loctaed two beautiful kittens in Cork that will be coming down to their new home in Kerry in 2 weeks.. very happy! :)

Will be taking them to the vet to get the full check and advice, but in the meantime, do any of you have any dietary / care advice for first time owners?
    e.g one litter tray or two for seperate kittens?
    Seperate feeding and water bowls?
    Perferred brand of food and type (we don't mind spending that bit extra if it means happy and healthy cats)

Look forward to your replies, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

People say that you should have a litter tray for each cat, but I don't really think it'd be a problem with two sibling kittens.

You might want seperate feedings bowls just so that one doesn't push the other out the way and eat all the food! :)

I don't know about good brands of cat food, but definitely dry food is best, even for kittens. I know some people like to stick to one type of food and not change it, but I like to keep changing brands and flavours otherwise they can become really fussy. And don't give them milk, but you can get that Lactol kitten milk formula stuff, and make that up for them. I did for my kitten when she was younger because she was a fussy eater but loved milk and she was really young and small so I thought it'd build her up. It lasts a long time so it's good value.

Also congratulations on the new kittens and post photos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Will do Morganfay, thanks for the posting, all advice noted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Id agree that dry food is better but no harm mixing a bit of wet in every now and again. As Morganfay said its good to vary it sometimes. If money isnt an issue the Royal Canin selection is good imho. They have a food for each stage of their development but they will do fine on a cheaper brand.

No milk! Unless its specific for cats.

Worming is vital: start at 6wks old,every 3 weeks until theyre 16 wks old.Then every 3 or 4 mths after that.

Vaccinations: first one at 9wks, second injection 3 weeks later.

Microchip them if you can. Cats are always losing collars and tags.

If you have them in the house a scratching post is a must if you dont want various bits of furniture in tatters :D

Litter tray and litter:essential if theyre indoors. Again, there are various types of litter.Theres flushable ones (expensive),gravel type,pellet type.It depends what you prefer to clean up. Get a covered litter box as it gets everywhere.Drives me mad as my cats isnt covered :p
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement