Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does MotoGP success increase company sales ?

• 26-05-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭

Does MotoGP success increase the bike manufacturers sales much ? As we all know at the moment Yamaha are running away with the MotoGP, but does this have a knock on effect on sales. When I'm buying a bike I always buy Honda as they usually tick all boxes for me, reliabilty, performance, looks etc

The fact that a manufacturer is doing very well in competition would it make any differences in the actual sales world wide ? Now I'm not an advertising expert or anything, but surely a good advertising campaign with plenty of hot chicks sitting on the bikes along with action scenes would be more infuential :) ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I wouldn't think it would sell more bikes but I think it would increase the sales of merchandise and racing parts also....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

It must lead to some but mainly it increases brand reignition, which may lead to increased sales in future.

They also get to do R&D for the road bikes.

Big bang engine in the R1, Ducati's Desmosedici etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    It must lead to some but mainly it increases brand reignition, which may lead to increased sales in future.

They also get to do R&D for the road bikes.

Big bang engine in the R1, Ducati's Desmosedici etc...
    I did a Google to see if I could find a link to see if the Desmosedici had increased sales ofr Ducati but only found garages and fellas trying to sell their bike online etc. I suppose for the amount of money the company's put into MotoGP they must have some increse in profits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I figure it must be otherwise sponsors wouldn't be pumping so much cash into the sport, simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

More for helmets/leathers i'd imagine , for the latest "gear" to be seen in.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

In short, no. Honda, Suzuki Kawasaki and Yamaha sales are all in the toilet.

Ducati, who are only so-so results wise atmo, can sell everything they make - twice over I'd say.

New Desmosedici enroute, and in case you thought the last one was dear, at 40k sterling, and having had to increase the run to cope with demand, they've decided to pitch the new one at...........84k sterling ! That'll sort ya.

Bet they run out of them, too.

Non-MotoGP brands are doing well: Triumph, Norton, BeeEmm, KTM etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

I wouldnt think it has any bearing on what people would buy,,peoples decision is more based on the look of the bike that they like in there opinion,,

In my case i like Lorenzo and Spies and whaT they do for/on a Yamaha but i would only ever own and drive a Honda (probably because they are the best bikes made IMO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I would think that WSB would probably have more of a bearing on bike sales as they are nearer to what you can actually buy than the prototype bikes of MotoGP.
    Having said that I think most people kind of know what type of bike they want without being too influenced by whats going on in MotoGP and the like. As someone already said it's probably only good for merchandising sales, leathers, lids etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Well I'm not sure about the WSB Tech level but that R1 in the Colin Edwards thread on here seems to suggest it's loaded with stuff from MotoGP.

Certainly has more bells and whistles than any other bike I'd heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ducati, who are only so-so results wise atmo, can sell everything they make - twice over I'd say.

New Desmosedici enroute, and in case you thought the last one was dear, at 40k sterling, and having had to increase the run to cope with demand, they've decided to pitch the new one at...........84k sterling ! That'll sort ya.

Bet they run out of them, too.

Non-MotoGP brands are doing well: Triumph, Norton, BeeEmm, KTM etc.
    Holy Exhaust Pipes Batman, 84K sterling for a feckin' bike :eek: Are the pistons made of gold or something.
    I would think that WSB would probably have more of a bearing on bike sales as they are nearer to what you can actually buy than the prototype bikes of MotoGP.
    Having said that I think most people kind of know what type of bike they want without being too influenced by whats going on in MotoGP and the like. As someone already said it's probably only good for merchandising sales, leathers, lids etc.
    Go point, WSB would probably have a greater effect on bike sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Well it worked for Subaru in WRC.
    Like i said its more about brand awareness and its not just bikes they all sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Example
    Yamaha sold a shed load more R1,s when they did the Rossi version and put it on sale.

So yes,it does work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Very much so, particularly in Japan and the US.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Advertisement