Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mens suits..

Options
  • 26-05-2010 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

hi, my sister is getting married soon and I need a suit. would prefer to buy one rather than rent one as I 'll prob need it again at some stage! any suggestions on the best shops to go to or rough price guide? many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tesco do fab jacket/pants combos, but they're more marketed at the "look good for the judge" crowd.

Depends on if you want tailord or off the rack tbh, Burton, Next, Tk Maxx all do ok suits, otherwise somewhere like Noels or Tony Connollys is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Imagineer

In my experience, the lads in Tony Connolly (Chapps for a more fashionalble suits) are the business. You're guaranteed to leave there with a exceptionally well fitting suit which a lot of people do not appreciate the importance of.

One word of advice... no matter what, do not pay full whack. Demand a minimum of 10% off the retail price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Have a look in The Sale Shop on Bedford Row. Got my last one in there for 120euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Noel's Menswear on Wickham Street might be worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Any suit my brother got from Next were fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

even river island do quite nice ones, i got one for 120 i think it was, 40 for the pants and 80 for the blazer, nice celection too

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

a tailor made suit is something I really need to get around to getting, the fit of a suit is really important, I had an old one and it was like I borrowed my dads as it was too baggy, need to get a proper one, me and the lads have "suiting up" nights out every now and then, the amount of attention you get off women is unreal, purely because most of the other guys out will be wearing whatever t-shirts Next and River Island have declared "cool" for that month, i think the Mr Men tshirts are on the way back :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

krudler wrote: »
    a tailor made suit is something I really need to get around to getting, the fit of a suit is really important, I had an old one and it was like I borrowed my dads as it was too baggy, need to get a proper one, me and the lads have "suiting up" nights out every now and then, the amount of attention you get off women is unreal, purely because most of the other guys out will be wearing whatever t-shirts Next and River Island have declared "cool" for that month, i think the Mr Men tshirts are on the way back :rolleyes:

not in Limerick..... but these guys are the best. Got my wedding suit made there in 2001, cost about £700Irl but so nice.
    http://www.menswear.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got one tailored when in the US. Its Calvin Klein too - and costs about half as much as they do here. Really good quality and fits prefect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Billy Higgins Sarsfield st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There's a shop on Thomas St by The Cornstore selling suits for €100 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

cheers guys. much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

Mick OConnell (lower I think) Catherine street is usually good, as a previously suggested dont pay the asking price....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

I like the next suits. Machine washable is handy. Some of the suits in the more established shops, the ones they have for like 100-125 euro feel quite thin and cheap to me, wearing out in no time if you wear them often.
    Think one of my faves was remus suits.
    The river island ones seem to be a bit metrosexual for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have 2 remus suits I got from Tony Connollys. They are grand, but a bit sober. I wouldn't wear them out casually really, but they're good for work, wedding etc. related stuff.

I'd love to get a nice 3 piece dark suit that, if I wanted, I could wear out with no tie, kind of pull of a look like one of the bad seeds/Nick Cave or the lads in The National...

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2009/01/15/va1237350185554/cave-6440823.jpg

Can you get "informal" 3 piece suits in Limk?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Two shops in Limerick which I've bought suits from and was very happy with the level of service and the product; Tony Connelly's on Patrick St & Sextons on Thomas St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Tesco do fab jacket/pants combos, but they're more marketed at the "look good for the judge" crowd.

Yes this "look good in Court" factor is critical if you are planning any serious assaults, theft or kidnapping at your Sisters Wedding and want to get lots of wear out of this Suit subsequently.

- Also bear in mind that Six One News and many National Newspapers employ Courts Photographers so get out there and look your best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Is Leonard's still open on O'Connell Street? It's an old style place, but I bought a good pair of formal trousers there about 5 years ago (only wear them now and again) and they still look great, even when arriving at a function after a two hour drive etc. They have one of the best changing rooms in the country too - I've seen smaller apartments!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

got a nice 3 piece in that chapps... tony connollys in the cresent.. pretty fashionable.. well worth it.. 350 quid i think... got a lot of compliments about it.. some smart lads oviously taught it a bit bling.. but ya would recommend

Advertisement