Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the laws covering utility bills when renting a house?

Options
  • 26-05-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I have been renting a room in a house for the last six years. During that time the landlord has kept all the bills (esb, heating and bin) in his name. He rents only to students, I'm the only exception. This means most leases are from Sept to June the college year. During the college months, no matter much we ask for bills etc we never get to see or get a definite idea on any of our bills whether they are high or low. When the students get ready to leave he hits us with an outstanding arrears on bills. This year it is €120.00 each. On top of our rent each week we pay €10.00 extra for bills. His methodology is to add up all the bills add up our contribution during the year and then subtracts our contribution from the total cost of the bills. My question is, can he do this?? And if not what is my best course of action. I have read through the PRTB website and I can see nothing about bills except that they are the tenant's responsibility but thats not the issue. I've lost my deposit a few years ago to this same outstanding bill situation. This year I am really struggling financially and this bill will be extremely difficult to pay back. Also, would anyone know if I am entitled to any financial aid with bills, I am on Job's seekers benefit and receiving some help with my rent. Thanks you very much in advance for any help you can give me and thanks for reading such a long post :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you are entitled to see the bills your landlord is expecting you to pay.

In this case it would seem every bill since September, add them up and divide by the number of tenants to get your share. September 1 - June 1 is 39 weeks, so you've paid €390 so far.

If he refuses to show you the bills, visit threshold.

There is a heating supplement for people on certain social welfare payments, but it has to be applied for in advance I think. The forms come out in september/october. If he shows you the bills and it turns out you are behind by €120, you can maybe visit your CWO for an exceptional needs payment.

Advertisement