Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology?

Options
  • 26-05-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Up until recently I had decided that I was definitely going to do Computer Science after my leaving cert and I was really looking forward to it. However I had a chat with a friend of mine and we began to talk about Psychology. She seemed to think that Psychology would be a good area of work for me, and now I'm actually starting to consider doing something along those lines.

The first problem that appeared was that I will not be able to reach 505 points for Psychology (CK106) at this late stage in the year. I did a little research and heard of some people getting into college after doing a one year FETAC course or something similar, so I'm just wondering if it's possible to get into Psychology through that route?

Secondly, I have no clue if I would actually like the course at all. I've never really considered doing that line of work until pretty much yesterday! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I've no idea as to whether you'd like the course, but I can answer some of that.

You can get into Psychology (like any college course) by applying with CAO points, FETAC courses, or as a mature student. All of those are difficult. It's not any easier going the FETAC route, and the mature student path is insanely competitive.

Also, you might be a bit late for a CAO change-of-mind, especially a last-minute one. However, there's nothing wrong with shooting high as your first pick if you decide to do so. "The points are too high" is a dreadful reason not to list a course.

If you've any questions about what it's like to actually study it, fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

I don't think CK106 has a FETAC Link (http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/how/fetac/) So it's either get the LC Points or Mature Student Route (wait til you're 23!). Would you consider repeating the LC to get the points?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'm saying I can't get the points because I honestly can't. Not unless I repeat. 505+ out a possible 560 is far too much to ask considering I'll be happy if I reach the 400 mark!

I think it's something I might consider later in life, but for now I'll stick to being a computer nerd :P

Thanks for the info lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

look into doing psychology through arts which may be around 380 points.

pathway33 wrote: »
    look into doing psychology through arts which may be around 380 points.

Through Arts? Doesn't that mean I'll have to choose like 2 or 3 other subjects too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Danger781 wrote: »
    Through Arts? Doesn't that mean I'll have to choose like 2 or 3 other subjects too?

yeah but take NUI Maynooth for example, you could do computer science and psychology and another subject in first year and then drop one for second year. Thing with psychology in arts though is that there is no guarantee you will get into 2nd year psychology unless you get high marks. It would give you an idea of what it's like though. You'd be better putting this on the leaving cert forum I'd say. I think there's more hanging round there

pathway33 wrote: »
    yeah but take NUI Maynooth for example, you could do computer science and psychology and another subject in first year and then drop one for second year. Thing with psychology in arts though is that there is no guarantee you will get into 2nd year psychology unless you get high marks. It would give you an idea of what it's like though. You'd be better putting this on the leaving cert forum I'd say. I think there's more hanging round there

Seems like too much hassle to be honest! I'm happy enough doing Computer Science. :D

Thanks very much for the info though!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

I think you can do computing and psychology as one degree in IADT for reasonable points

kob29 wrote: »
    I think you can do computing and psychology as one degree in IADT for reasonable points

IADT?

I'm looking to stay local :) (Cork)

Advertisement