Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting back into cycling, low budget.

• 26-05-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hi all, long time lurker but first time posting in here. I'm looking to get a bike for the weekends. Ill be mostly on country roads, bike trails etc. I used to cycle everywhere when I was living in cities but have not owned a bike for a few years now. My budget isn't very high at the minute, I cant really spend more than 200ish euro which limits me somewhat. I think I have settled on a hybrid as I think it suits me best for now. I wouldn't be on any really rough ground so i don't think I would use a mountain bike to its potential and from what I have read here the cheaper ones are a waste of money anyway.
    Question is what do you think of this bike? Apollo CX.10 at Halfords
    I know I wont get a lot for that budget but is it a good option for easing back into cycling? I'm going to call into a local bike shop tomorrow to see what range they have also as Id prefer to give my money to a local business but I've been in one or two lately and the prices are higher (along with the quality I'm sure) and are above budget. Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

DONT!

I mean dont get a cx10.. but do try and get into cycling.

These bikes aint great for much, esp the cx10.. (look up bicycle shaped object and search this forum for BSO). on a limited budget I would go 2nd hand over a new appollo (or any other variant).

My m8 got a cx10 agains advice last year, and it is seriously a bad bike for anythin other than going mile or so to pick up a newspaper from the local shops.

If you do by 2nd hand you will probably end up spending dribs and drabs, but you will spend more trying to maintain a CX10.

If at all possible save up a little more to get you into the start of the better hybrids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Try and go second hand. Unless you find a very good special offer it will be hard to find a decent new bike for 200 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I'm digging up this thread here but what the hell. I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I held off and ended up buying a new Specialized Sirrus 10. I'm delighted I did so. The standard of the BSO's compared to even my entry level hybrid is indeed vast. I changed the tires and added clip-less pedals and now I am increasing the km's week by week.
    After finding out the hard way that a pair of padded shorts are a good idea and that the most savage dogs do indeed live at the top of the hills I'm really enjoying this now. I always thought one bike would be enough but I'm already looking at road bikes with the hope of getting one next spring for the faster runs. Again, thanks for the advice in this thread and the forum in general. Its a great resource.
    - Bandit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

bandit197 wrote: »
    I'm digging up this thread here but what the hell. I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I held off and ended up buying a new Specialized Sirrus 10. I'm delighted I did so. The standard of the BSO's compared to even my entry level hybrid is indeed vast. I changed the tires and added clip-less pedals and now I am increasing the km's week by week.
    After finding out the hard way that a pair of padded shorts are a good idea and that the most savage dogs do indeed live at the top of the hills I'm really enjoying this now. I always thought one bike would be enough but I'm already looking at road bikes with the hope of getting one next spring for the faster runs. Again, thanks for the advice in this thread and the forum in general. Its a great resource.
    - Bandit

Another one hooked. (Laughs maniacally)

Advertisement