Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with car - either injector or timing.

• 26-05-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi All,

My citroen xsara snapped its timing belt in janurary due to water pump freezing. No damage to valves apparently as she is valve free or something and I have checked compression and it is 100%. Any ideas what is wrong as it is slighty jerky/lacking power from idling to 1600 revs. Mechanic says timing is good and reckons it could be injectors. Also it passed the nct recently so it is running sound but just shakes when idling and is very annoying.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

What engine has it got...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Donno about the Xsara, but it's possible that when the belt snapped because the water pump refused to move, some of the pullys may have moved on their slots where they're bolted to their respective shafts. The timing would look fine on the belt, pullys would line up, but the shafts may be out of timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

Thanks.
    It's a 1.4i Vsx model.
    The pulley explanation might explain the problem as the car feels fine at higher revs or below 60mph. Thing is once you pass 60mph till 80mph the car shakes again worse than idling. Balancing tracking etc are all fine its just i'd like to fix the problem if I could before selling on the car.

One mechanic said it could be injectors and I am considering changing fuel filter and plugs to see will this fix the problem.
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Always worth a try. Dodgy plugs can play havoc with the way an engine runs.

As for the shaking between 60 and 80, that doesn't sound like it's engine related. Did you have the rear wheels balanced too? If the car is affected by speed the way you describe it, it usually means it something to do with the suspension, be it shocks, bushings or tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

I thought that myself but seen as the problem only happened after the timing belt snapped and was replaced I ruled it out. She also shakes slightly at idling in traffic etc so that is why I reckon it is engine related. Tbh i'm not sure whats wrong and most mechanics cannot fully pinpoint it either. I've been driving it sound ever since just for the annoyance factor and as it passed nct i reckon i'm safe enough doing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement