Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish and Chips day

Options
  • 26-05-2010 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any chippers in and around that city that are participating in 'Fish & Chips' day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Does anyone know of any chippers in and around that city that are participating in 'Fish & Chips' day?

Kings Head is the only place I seen advertising it. €10 for a fish and chips, hardly seems like a half price "deal" to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

they are all listed here :

http://www.itica.ie/member-list.html

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Kings Head is the only place I seen advertising it. €10 for a fish and chips, hardly seems like a half price "deal" to me.

Think ya need to post that one in the Rip Off thread :)

No way is that a half price deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

they are all listed here :

http://www.itica.ie/member-list.html

Thanks for the link.

I was hoping McDonagh's would be on the list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Cant get over the fact nowhere in town is doing this! kings head fish and chips for a tenner is a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Eh have ye not looked at the website, its clearly a marketing scheme dreamt up by the assorted Italian resturants involved, why other resturants would randomly join in I don't know. fish and chips day...ffs somebody enjoyed Arthurs day too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

well, seeing that you can get a gorgeous fish and chip in McDonaghs Fish and Chip shop during the day for 5.95 and in the evening at 8.95, I cannot see how the kings head is charging a tenner and that is half price - so they are saying it is usually 20 Euro - what fish are they serving - lobster?

you must be CODDING me

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just another "day" invented by the business to flog their wares.
    It's KFC day in the biko house :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I don't get the fascination with Mc.Donaghs. It's always been a bit rough when I have ate there. Prefer Kettle of fish myself. Or the Jack Jordan's place out in Doughiska. Cooked fresh! There's also a nice place up next to the tesco express on the headford road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Nico's in Claregalway taking part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I don't get the fascination with Mc.Donaghs. It's always been a bit rough when I have ate there. Prefer Kettle of fish myself. Or the Jack Jordan's place out in Doughiska. Cooked fresh! There's also a nice place up next to the tesco express on the headford road.

Jack Jordans have savage chips aswell! Damn it I'm hungry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

€3.80 today in the midlands for the half price fish n chips. So the kings Head are a shower of Pikeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Youse feckers!:p
    So much for the salad in the fridge - ye *forced* me to go to McDonaghs today with yer subliminal mind plots!

baldbear wrote: »
    So the kings Head are a shower of Pikeys!
    Infraction for using derogatory term. Mind your language, thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Prefer Kettle of Fish as well, although the chips from McDonagh's are better.

Jack Jordan's seems to be a happy medium between excellent fish and good chips.

(In saying that I've had fish and chips once at each of the places so it's not exactly an extensive review)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I had never had McDonagh's before today and told my granny I'd bring her over chips before I knew McDonagh's wasn't on the list. But I don't care, it's was absolutely gorgeous!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Wooooah! Ye two above have the same avatar. Messed with my head.

McDonaghs is class, think I might go there tomorrow for some lunch. Kings head, €10, screw that. Tis robbery!

I'm probably going to get slagged for this but I like fish and chips with mushy peas, Brit style.

work.1524630.1.flat,550x550,075,f.fish-chips-and-mushy-peas.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

well, seeing that you can get a gorgeous fish and chip in McDonaghs Fish and Chip shop during the day for 5.95 and in the evening at 8.95,....

Do McDonaghs put the prices up during the day?? Or is that restaurant vs take-away?

Nothing like a bit of mushy peas and tartar sauce!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

biko wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get slagged for this but I like fish and chips with mushy peas, Brit style.

work.1524630.1.flat,550x550,075,f.fish-chips-and-mushy-peas.jpg

6 freakin chips and a manky pot of snot coloured goo! Feck that craic... Give me McDonaghs finest any day of the week with a tub of curry on the side mmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

McDonaghs do mushy peas too! :D
    I am partial to them the odd time, just like the odd time I like coleslaw with my 1 and 1.

I have had not great fish and chips 2 times ever (and this is since I used to be able to buy fresh fish in there at the counter!) but have had not great fish and chips all/only 3 times I went to kettle of fish :eek:

I know people have their off days, but I gave it a lash.

I used to LOVE Conlons fish years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

6 freakin chips and a manky pot of snot coloured goo! Feck that craic... Give me McDonaghs finest any day of the week with a tub of curry on the side mmmmmm.
    Get that fecking lemon off my fish aswell, why do people do that? Lemon juice ruins food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Thargor wrote: »
    Get that fecking lemon off my fish aswell, why do people do that? Lemon juice ruins food.

God I can't have my fish without the stuff, that an a huge wallop of tartar sauce.
    Or the Jack Jordan's place out in Doughiska. Cooked fresh!

Where abouts is this Jack Jordan's place. Anywhere near the NCT centre?

s_carnage wrote: »
    God I can't have my fish without the stuff, that an a huge wallop of tartar sauce.

Where abouts is this Jack Jordan's place. Anywhere near the NCT centre?

Aye thats right. Same road. Just instead of turning into the NCT centre keep on going straight and turn in at the Centra shop. (There's a chinese in there, a barbers and hairdressers also)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

I've had two dodgy meals in a row there, I still will keep the faith because i used to absolutely love it and put it right beside delight sandwiches and potato waffles on the list of things i needed the day i got home from abroad. I'll give it one more shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Thargor wrote: »

Not if you have enough salt to balance the flavour- in mexico you get lime and salt with absolutely everything even beers and it really is nice, well at least i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Was in The King's Head last night and saw that. €10 for "half-price" fish n' chips? Ridiculous. Go away King's Head, just leave.

Over there.

Was in The King's Head last night and saw that. €10 for "half-price" fish n' chips? Ridiculous. Go away King's Head, just leave.

Over there.

I think it's normally closer to 18 euro in there?:eek:
    Could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I think it's normally closer to 18 euro in there?:eek:
    Could be wrong.

:eek:

Just checked out the ITICA website. Not a single chipper in the city? Also, The King's Head aren't on the website. Either they haven't updated their website, or The King's Head are just cheekily riding the wave.

Advertisement