Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Pylon

Options
  • 26-05-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

You Tube "ESB Pylon"

Support your neighbours in their time of need!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is this it?

ESB PYLONS IN WESTSIDE SPARK OUTRAGE AMONG RESIDENTS
    March 19, 2008 - 9:11am
    The construction of two steel ESB pylons beside playing facilities in Westside has sparked outrage.
    One of the steel pylons has been mounted next to a playground, the other next to skateboarding facilities within the past three weeks.
    The ESB was granted planning permission last October to upgrade their Seamus Quirke Road 38 kilovolt station to 110 kilovolts
    This is part of their plan to upgrade power supply to Connemara.
    Attempts to place a 110 kilovolt ESB station in Knocknacarra last year were turned down by city councillors following protests from residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I'm not sure, the guy on the video said he was on cappagh road. He is putting up signs around the town.

So neighbours in Westside v neighbours in Connemara

I'm not a neighbour in any of those areas.
    Pls advice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I am now swayed entirely in favour of this having had to listen to his interminable, adenoidal video which may as well have been of the bottom of his kitchen table for all the pylon construction that I could make out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Those cosmopolitan KFC fryers are not going to power themselves, ya know.

You Tube "ESB Pylon"

Support your neighbours in their time of need!

I've watched the video
    What is it you suggest people do for support?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The pylons are really effin ugly up at the back of the Westside, particularly being near playground, pitch and skatepark. They are laying a ton of underground cable through the estates in Rahoon/Mincloon etc, so not sure why they can't continue this? I am not an engineer though :) I imagine ugly trenches for 2 weeks are better than a pylon forever?

Not sure either what you want us to do op?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

He hasnt noticed the moblie reception mast on the cappagh rd , its just up the road to the left it sticks out like a sore thumb , its ment to look like a tree very well done . Has fooled them all for the past few years . :eek:

Presumably this has been through some sort of a planning process.

Did he not get his say then?

The ESB are upgrading pylons near my parents house they look ugly but the people of Mayo need more power it seems.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    I've watched the video
    What is it you suggest people do for support?

Write a supportive comment on you tube! Maybe post Joe's number!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Robbo wrote: »
    I am now swayed entirely in favour of this having had to listen to his interminable, adenoidal video which may as well have been of the bottom of his kitchen table for all the pylon construction that I could make out.

That post wasn't necessary.

I feel sorry for the guy. Clearly loves his house and his Conamara and now has the misfortune of having to stare at a pylon literally right in front of his front door. It would depress me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

The place the pylon is taking up, use to be a runned down old storage facility with the roof colapsed in. He myabe had his veiw for no more then a few month, due to ESB cleaning the site for preperation of the new pylon.

Ther is already a mast maybe 3 minute walk up from his house, that has had some problems over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

i may have some respect for him if he made an anyway good video or showed any actualy pylon at all except black silhouettes. but alas he wasted my time watching his silly video and to be honest, I don't care whether his view is ruined or not. tough shnizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

ESB don't appear to give a **** whenever it comes to putting poles and pylons wherever the **** they want. Even the view from the Quiet Man Bridge is ruined by a power line running past, as are parts of the iconic Inagh Valley, and several other valleys in Connemara.

Screw ESB and screw An Bord Pleanola.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well I feel sorry for him: yes the vid is shyte ... but he's not claiming to be a professional, he's just using youtube to express unhappiness. Yes there used to be a storage facility there - but I bet it was a lot shorter than the pylon is going to be. Yes, there's another mast 3 mins walk from his house: but 3 mins walk is a lot further than 50 metres.

For all that we give out about planning, the City Council turned this down for exactly the reason that he's complaining about. ABP overturned them - I wonder why.

(NB I'm assuming that his vid is telling the full story here, haven't researched it.)

You're right that it's not clear what he wants anyone to do. Perhaps just to note the insanity of planning decisions and push or elected representatives to get the system sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

Construction on the pylon in Cappagh Rd has started. Its within 500m of a sports field and childrens playground, slightly further from a national school. As well, of course, as all the people that actually live there. There has been both qualitative and quantitative research linking these pylons with higher incidences of cancer in those people who are exposed to them for long periods of time.

SMCG wrote: »
    There has been both qualitative and quantitative research linking these pylons with higher incidences of cancer in those people who are exposed to them for long periods of time.
    I'm calling BS on this one. [citation needed]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

SMCG wrote: »
    There has been both qualitative and quantitative research linking these pylons with higher incidences of cancer in those people who are exposed to them for long periods of time.

Highly doubtful for electricity pylons. They don't emit radio waves, so no radiation.

aido179 wrote: »
    I'm calling BS on this one. [citation needed]

Will the BMJ do?

There is an pedestrian access between the Ballybane and Ballybrit industrial estates that goes right underneath a pylon. Walking thru it just *feels* wrong for a human body.

• Advertisement

BMJ wrote:
    ...though this estimate has considerable statistical uncertainty. There is no accepted biological mechanism to explain the epidemiological results; indeed, the relation may be due to chance or confounding.

I have to admit I had never even heard of this research, but it was in no way certain of the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ceibh an tSruthain

I can empathise with this guy (although a better vid would improve his case). Were any attempts made to find a better site for this eyesore?
    The more I learn the more I realise that the ESB, like City/County Councils are just as corrupt as our Government and will get away with it as long as we allow them to.

Not that I disagree with the OP but it seems to be the eternal problem of a need of power and NIMBY. Usually the poor areas lose out.

biko wrote: »
    Not that I disagree with the OP but it seems to be the eternal problem of a need of power and NIMBY. Usually the poor areas lose out.

Cappagh rd isn't a poor area, I think it's interesting the pylons went up in Westside (poorer area) without as much commotion (in my opinion).
    And does his view/way of life have to suffer due to need for power - perhaps there isn't an alternative location, but surely all alternatives should be investigated first? Or was this done already? Not very familiar with the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

According to the findings of the Bord Pleanala appeal (I hope this is the correct case), 4 possible routes were considered, and this was the preferred route.
    They also discussed EMF (electro magnetic fields) and stated that all houses would be at least 50M away from the lines and the levels of EMF were within WHO max recommended levels.
    They also discussed building it underground, and while the cost of building it underground was a lot more, the main reason for not building it underground, would be the environmental damage done to underground streams & waterways by the huge trenches which would need to be dug.

dilallio wrote: »
    According to the findings of the Bord Pleanala appeal (I hope this is the correct case), 4 possible routes were considered, and this was the preferred route.
    They also discussed EMF (electro magnetic fields) and stated that all houses would be at least 50M away from the lines and the levels of EMF were within WHO max recommended levels.
    They also discussed building it underground, and while the cost of building it underground was a lot more, the main reason for not building it underground, would be the environmental damage done to underground streams & waterways by the huge trenches which would need to be dug.

Thanks for the info Dilallio. I find the "4 possible routes" thing interesting, what was possible about them, where are they exactly? I found from previous experience on a completely different matter that the contractor was asked to come up with "alternative sites" and they were all more farfetched than the other - picked purely to make the "best site" look like a good option. That's a completely different case though, and I'm not familiar with the other routes in this case.

aido179 wrote: »
    BMJ wrote:
    ...though this estimate has considerable statistical uncertainty. There is no accepted biological mechanism to explain the epidemiological results; indeed, the relation may be due to chance or confounding.

I have to admit I had never even heard of this research, but it was in no way certain of the result.

I think you're overstating things there: the results found a statistically significant different between the study and control groups with a pretty high level of certainty. What they don't know is what caused the results, ie what factor about the pylons that the study group were exposed to caused their bodies to react in the way they did.

Just because scientists can't (yet) explain why something is happening doesn't mean it isn't happening!

Is this the same guy who is putting up posters at roundabouts?

I saw someone break suddenly yesterday coming up to the Bohermore roundabout as the car in front seemed to stop to read the poster.

Ya, same guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

JustMary wrote: »
    Yes there used to be a storage facility there - but I bet it was a lot shorter than the pylon is going to be.

The pylon is currently being built, and is actualy down a small hill, so the peak of the pylon will actualy be the height of what the storage facility used to be.

Advertisement